Best receiver to buy

{Ron!n}

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
Irbid, Jordan
Hello everyone
I recently moved out to college and im thinking of getting a receiver with satelite.

Im mainly interested in watching American sports from here (Jordan)

Anyways ive looked at a few receivers and cant seem to find a website that can help me fully.
Im looking for one of those receivers which can be connected via ethernet and then unencrypt channels (showtime, art, orbit, etc....)
Anyways i was wondering which receive has the best track record??
Which one would you guys recommend, im hearing alot about Dreambox but it seems pretty difficult to get working.
Are there any other receivers??? If so what do you recommend??

thanks a lot

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
{Ron!n} said:
Hello everyone
I recently moved out to college and im thinking of getting a receiver with satelite.

Im mainly interested in watching American sports from here (Jordan)

Anyways ive looked at a few receivers and cant seem to find a website that can help me fully.
Im looking for one of those receivers which can be connected via ethernet and then unencrypt channels (showtime, art, orbit, etc....)
Anyways i was wondering which receive has the best track record??
Which one would you guys recommend, im hearing alot about Dreambox but it seems pretty difficult to get working.
Are there any other receivers??? If so what do you recommend??

thanks a lot

There aren't that many channels that would show American sport.
If this is the main reason of interest, then you will be diappointed.
If you want uninterrupted viewing, then get an official subscription to any of the packages that you mentioned in your post.
You have the advantage that they would sell you a legal subscription in your location, with or without VAT, depending on the tax system in the country.
Any other option will lead to wasting your time looking for the occasional "open" channels.
Dreambox is a good receiver, with ethernet interface.
This forum has a lot of information about it. Just take a look in the Dreambox section.
In fact the Idiot Guide is mainly for the Dreambox receiver.

{Ron!n}

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
Irbid, Jordan
Thanks for the quick response.
Actually there a couple of pretty good channels that opened up in this area that should hopefully suffice my needs.
I saw these channels at my friends (he has this receiver called e-box, he connects it to the internet and it gets the channels from a yearly subscription)
Some of these channels are fox sports, espn, and espn nasn (only north american sports) they are part of ART and seem to be pretty good.
Anyways, i was wondering which receiver would be the best? ( would the one my friend has be a card sharing receiver???)
If a card sharing receiver is good then is it better to join a subscription or just use free servers

Thanks for all the help

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Only posts by new members with certain content will be put in a moderation queue.

As these receivers are notorious for losing their servers, (they are either closed down by the providers, or they run out of money) we can't recommend any one in particular.

If your friend has one which appears to be reliable, then get the same as him, but don't be too upset when the server goes down and you are left with free to air channels only.

{Ron!n}

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
Irbid, Jordan
sorry about the double post.
are all card sharing servers bad? Or is Dreambox good seeing as everyone is using it??
Just to get something clear is connecting to a server the same thing as card sharing???
as in if i get a dreambox without a subscription or anything and just put one of the images on it is it basically the same as subscribing to a server??
excuse my noob questions but im just trying to learn
thank you

{Ron!n}

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
Irbid, Jordan
one other thing
is the nascamd server and cardsharing the same thing if not whats the difference and which is better
thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
{Ron!n} said:
sorry about the double post.
are all card sharing servers bad? Or is Dreambox good seeing as everyone is using it??
Just to get something clear is connecting to a server the same thing as card sharing???
as in if i get a dreambox without a subscription or anything and just put one of the images on it is it basically the same as subscribing to a server??
excuse my noob questions but im just trying to learn
thank you

I will not answer your CS questions as I have strong feeling against it.
Putting an image doesn't mean you will be subscribing to a server.

{Ron!n}

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
Irbid, Jordan
could you please explain to me the difference between a nascamd device and a card sharing device? Just about the way they work and such, nothing more.
Plus i took a look at the idiots guide and all i could find was info on setting it up. Is there a guide about what exactly Dreambox can do and what options are availaible if i cant subscribe to the packages.
Thank you very much.