Better quality but lost channels

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm located in Sweden and have just changed the feedhorn on a prime focus dish and noticed a marked improvement of the quality levels for the horizontal channels on Astra 2D . At the same time the vertical channels which i could get at certain times of the day are now totally gone. How can this be possible ?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Play around with the skew..Skew adjustment is very crucial on 2D;)

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Hehe...you still struggling around with your feed? its two years now or close?

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes it has been a long time but with very little result. But at last I have improved quality by a good 10-15% so I'm encouraged. The feed I am using is the Swedish microwave XM 601 . Is it possible I need to add a polariser to improve the 2D verticals?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
bodge said:
The feed I am using is the Swedish microwave XM 601 . Is it possible I need to add a polariser to improve the 2D verticals?

In your dish is "prime focus" you are using the wrong type of feedhorn..
From what i can see on the net,Swedish microwave XM 601 is for Offset dishes not prime focus.
http://www.smw.se/feedhorn.htm

Unless you are using a single band LNB you do not need a polariser..The modern universal LNB's have this polarity switching function inside...

bodge

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Actually I need this feedhorn because of the shallowness of the dish. The f/d of the dish is 0.53 whereas most prime focus feedhorns only cover the range 0.33-0.42. Since I added this feed instead of an old prime focus feed I have a significantly better signal/quality reading for the horizontal channels.

iceman said:
In your dish is "prime focus" you are using the wrong type of feedhorn..
From what i can see on the net,Swedish microwave XM 601 is for Offset dishes not prime focus.
http://www.smw.se/feedhorn.htm

Unless you are using a single band LNB you do not need a polariser..The modern universal LNB's have this polarity switching function inside...

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
maybe you have to play with the focal length to match that of the prime focus feedhorn,have you got room to slide the feedhorn up and down?