Big Brother is talking to you...

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Officers in Middlesbrough are now able talk to people they see on CCTV through a tannoy - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/5353538.stm

I think this is a very worrying development, if not a breach of human rights. I suppose it's ok if it's to break up a fight, but on a news item on ITV, they were telling people to pick up rubbish they just dropped on the floor.

It's all a bit much in my opinion, and it's not the way to go. You can't bully people into acting differently.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It has to be better than arresting them.;)

I think they ought to have a team of heavyweight enforcers and anyone who drops litter, urinates on the pavement or causes aggravation to other innocent citizens, gets the tar beaten out of them. :-lmao

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
On a similar point - the new booster seat rules for kids.

Is it just me or do the rules seem odd?

Under 12s or under 4ft 5in need booster seat

So...

13 year old but 4ft 3in = needs booster
11 year old but 4ft 7in = needs booster

Why not just have it that any child under 4ft 5in need a booster.
It's the height that make the set belt dangerous!

What happens after a kids party when one mum is dropping a group off? Four booster seats needed...

:-doh!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
No - it seems unusual journeys are exempt.
I see they didn't want to mess with the taxi lobby though.

I'm in this situation and the 10yr old is well above the height restriction, so I'm going that way even though she does sit on a booster in the front.

L.:)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
gameboy said:
Why not just have it that any child under 4ft 5in need a booster.

AFAIK, from what I read today GB (about the confusion) - what you just said is the regulations/law.

I don't understand the word 'booster' (don't have kids) - but it suggested a child seat in the article for anything under 4'5" or so.

From my perspective it seems like a Gouda of a new law. Like, if the disabled laws can be made to work - why can't a Taxi be forced to carry a child seat?

Best part I read was "If you have a situation with three kids and not enough room for child seats - arrange other travel arrangements for the third kid" - or, break the law presumably.

I used to laugh at the US and ill-thoughout laws......

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think it will make bundles of difference, I still regularly see toddlers jumping around in the back and front of cars and babes in arms travelling with mothers on front seats of cars, similar to the use of mobile phones whilst driving.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I hope all parents just ignore it, the police can't book everyone - it's just an excuse by the government to make money off the VAT on the boosters. And what about school trips, boosters for 25+ kids? F off, this law is a huge pile of unadulterated guff.

And by the way - :-topic, although to be honest this booster stuff is probably more immediately important ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It may be on the heavy handed side, but I remember the outcry when the seatbelt laws came in. Everyone saw it as an infringement of their liberty, me amongst them, but I would not drive anywhere without a belt on now and the law has saved hundreds of lives and thousands of crippling injuries per year.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
I still regularly see toddlers jumping around in the back and front of cars and babes in arms travelling with mothers on front seats of cars, similar to the use of mobile phones whilst driving.

I totally agree - the amount of children 'loose' in cars amazes me - maybe this will highlight the situation.

Mobile phone law's a joke, the amount of trucks and cars veering onto the wrong side of the road - when I look they are almost all on mobiles!

Both these are more important in my mind.

Sorry - Salty25 please forgive me

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Salty25 said:
It's all a bit much in my opinion, and it's not the way to go. You can't bully people into acting differently.

I agree, you cannot bully people, but you can gently persuade them that changing their habits is good for the environment. Dropping litter is at the foot of the ladder whose other rungs include those that let their dog foul the pavement and flytippers.

I would not have considered a CCTV operator having a word with them over the tannoy, a zapping tool which neatly delivers a 25kV belt to the miscreant would have been my choice of tool.;)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
rolfw said:
It may be on the heavy handed side, but I remember the outcry when the seatbelt laws came in. Everyone saw it as an infringement of their liberty, me amongst them, but I would not drive anywhere without a belt on now and the law has saved hundreds of lives and thousands of crippling injuries per year.

Thats the strong and sensible argument for it. I guess in time, car manufactuers will install seats with adjustible (sp.) seating height, as an extra feature although eventually coming as standard in all models - blimey, I should go on Dragon's Den :D

Back on to the CCTV thing, I agree Hopper that this country has a terrible attitude to looking after our surroundings.

I don't think we need to peddle out the old "when I went on holiday in Spain/France/Germany etc, the street were so clean..." argument to recognise that we have a terrible national mindset on the issue of litter.

Having said that, it probably doesnt help that we employ one person to litter pick the whole high street once a day or whatever.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Going by the hopeless pictures you seem to get from the majority of CCTV cameras (Crimewatch) I don't know why they bother!

How many grainy images have you seen that could be anyone?

Can't see anyone who is willing to drop litter, or the many who park in disabled spaces, taking much notice.

As for the adjustable seats - they already make adjustable seat belt mounts can be raised or lowered - that is not taken into account with the new law.

Ford are testing a four point harness seat belt in the US at present.

P.S. Parking in disabled spaces really blo-Oo-Ody annoys me....