Bitten by the Sat TV bug! a mini Review of my new setup

Videocrypt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Very much in progress....
My Location
Midlands UK
It's been a long time since I had a satellite setup, infact it was back in the days of analogue satellite, season interface cards. multidec etc....
Recently I decided to get a basic digital setup, after reading different reviews and getting some great advice from users of these forums.
Bellow is a mini review on my current Kit:-

1M Alu Gibertini Dish

gibertini_100cm.jpg
Although not cheap this Dish is superb quality and it's built to last, The reflector is solid, very well made and light due to it being Aluminium.
The mounts and brackets that came with the dish are extremely robust, They are made from pressed galvanised steel and are pretty heavy,
I doubt they would bend or twist even if I had tried to do so!
The LNB arm is made from a nice wide length of extruded aluminium which means the LNB should remain solid at all times.

Conclusion

PROS:
Great build quality.

CONS:
None.

STAB Rotot Sat HH120 DiSEqC Motor

stab_rotorsat_hh120.jpg

The motor is a little difficult to review as I've only had it for a couple of weeks, going from the spec it has a full metal gearbox, and is designed
for dishes upto 1.2M (this obviosly depends on how heavy your dish is and also how exposed it is). I've not opened the case to look inside but
from the outside it seems solid and reasuringly heavy too.
I have read that STAB motors employ a large heavy duty spring to help protect the motor from strong gusts of wind, this to me (being an engineer)
made a lot of sense as ultimately if the dish is caught up in storm and the motor has no play at all 'somthing has to give' which could mean
sever damage to the gearbox.
On the downside I have read reviews with some users saying that the spring mechanism causes exesive play in the motor, having fitted my dish
I can report that there is a small amount of movment at the LNB but only a tiny amount, although I've not had the motor long this movement
does not seem to affect my signal at all even when windy.
Setup and instalation, bearing in mind that I have never setup a diseqc motor before I found the motor / dish easy to install the Manual that came
with the motor was pretty simple and straight forward and seemed get the job done nicely.

Conclusion

PROS:
Solid and well built.
Inbult spring mechanism to protect motor/gearbox.
Good manual.
Useful android App to aid setup (download from website)

CONS:
Quite expensive compared to other motors.

My install....

gibertini_1m.jpg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent review - thanks for Posting it.

And what Receiver(s), LNB are you using?

Videocrypt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands UK
Thanks Tivu,

Im currently looking at replacing my receiver hence no review at the moment. My current box is an Opticum x403p which considering its price is a great little box and ultra compact.
As for the LNB its a Smart Titanium i'm not sure if its good or bad but it's working ok at the moment, It may get upgraded with my next receiver....

Any advice on a good linux based receiver like a VU+ or Dreambox or Clones would be appriciated :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Nice set up. I had Stab HH120 many years ago driving my Gibby 1.25m without issues. I replaced it with a Moteck as the Stab didn't have enough travel to eastern satellites. It was one of the first motors to employ USALS and I got it from an outfit in Bristol who are now in Wales.

One of the disadvantages was that it was quite slow to move the dish but it was reliable.

Videocrypt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands UK
Captain Jack said:
Nice set up. I had Stab HH120 many years ago driving my Gibby 1.25m without issues. I replaced it with a Moteck as the Stab didn't have enough travel to eastern satellites. It was one of the first motors to employ USALS and I got it from an outfit in Bristol who are now in Wales.

One of the disadvantages was that it was quite slow to move the dish but it was reliable.

I must admit the STAB is not very quick, that said its also not so slow that it causes a problem, I guess for someone who is 'sat hopping' every 5 mins then the speed may be an issue.
For me as I've only had the motor for a couple of weeks and I don't have anything to directly compare it with, but I'm more than happy with it. Time will tell:)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Videocrypt said:
As for the LNB its a Smart Titanium i'm not sure if its good or bad but it's working ok at the moment, It may get upgraded with my next receiver....

I find that LNB is generally pretty decent, but if I did need to change it I'd swap it for a Inverto Black Ultra. But there's not a lot of difference for most satellites and unless you are trying fringe reception it's probably not worth the hassle changing it.