• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Boot from HDD?

Messages
32
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
TD3000cnce
PC: 3.4GHz Intel, 2024Mb Corsair ddr2, 2XWD Raptors on Raid 0, Gigabyte ATI HD2900XT 512Mb
My Location
Lithuania
#1
Hi,
I'm new to Triple Dragon (bought 3 days ago) as I'm new to the whole SAT thing (my first dish).

I already have read my brains out trying to figure all things about setting TD with different images, emus, plugins etc.

I also read about hooking up USB and booting from it.

But I somehow missed the topic of regular booting from HDD. Is it possible and if Yes, what are cons and pros and how to's?

Thanks to all guys contributing to TD

Laimsas
 

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
4,712
Likes
19
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
#2
Welcome to the forum.

The con will be that the disk is always spinning.
 
Messages
32
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
TD3000cnce
PC: 3.4GHz Intel, 2024Mb Corsair ddr2, 2XWD Raptors on Raid 0, Gigabyte ATI HD2900XT 512Mb
My Location
Lithuania
#3
mhku said:
Welcome to the forum.

The con will be that the disk is always spinning.
That was quick:)
Thanks
 

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Messages
14,315
Likes
3,282
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
#4
laimsas said:
Hi,
I'm new to Triple Dragon (bought 3 days ago) as I'm new to the whole SAT thing (my first dish).

I already have read my brains out trying to figure all things about setting TD with different images, emus, plugins etc.

I also read about hooking up USB and booting from it.

But I somehow missed the topic of regular booting from HDD. Is it possible and if Yes, what are cons and pros and how to's?

Thanks to all guys contributing to TD

Laimsas
In the Bootloader menu, you have the option of -

Booting from flash ROM
Booting from NFS (network, e.g a PC configured in your network settings)
Booting from your HDD system partitions #1 or 2

You can set the HDD to sleep after a given time through the Hard Disk menu.

You can't boot from a USB stick.

Any reason why you would want to boot from a HDD rather than flash?

Llew
 
Messages
32
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
TD3000cnce
PC: 3.4GHz Intel, 2024Mb Corsair ddr2, 2XWD Raptors on Raid 0, Gigabyte ATI HD2900XT 512Mb
My Location
Lithuania
#5
Llew said:
In the Bootloader menu, you have the option of -

Booting from flash ROM
Booting from NFS (network, e.g a PC configured in your network settings)
Booting from your HDD system partitions #1 or 2

You can set the HDD to sleep after a given time through the Hard Disk menu.

You can't boot from a USB stick.

Any reason why you would want to boot from a HDD rather than flash?

Llew
I was reading that in flash rom var size is limited to 2Mb or something and that limits you with plugins, emus etc.

If you could point me to right direction to have lots of stuff without requiring HDD i'll be more than happy to try.

To the question "why you would want to boot from a HDD" answer is - I'm computer guy, I used to things booting from HDD (joke)
 

staffspeted

Regular Member
Messages
89
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 driven by Supermount SMR 1224 mount.
V-Box 11
Triple Dragon Linux Receiver.
Vantage VT-X221TSCI Blindscan Receiver.
Diablo Wireless cam and base.
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
#6
I have saved var space by creating folders on my HDD and storing both plug-ins and skins there.
My var is never fuller than 60 % now and all freezing and crashing issues have now ceased.
The TD is temperamental but a very good box once you get the hang of it!
 

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Messages
14,315
Likes
3,282
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
#7
Messages
32
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
TD3000cnce
PC: 3.4GHz Intel, 2024Mb Corsair ddr2, 2XWD Raptors on Raid 0, Gigabyte ATI HD2900XT 512Mb
My Location
Lithuania
#8
staffspeted said:
I have saved var space by creating folders on my HDD and storing both plug-ins and skins there.
My var is never fuller than 60 % now and all freezing and crashing issues have now ceased.
The TD is temperamental but a very good box once you get the hang of it!
How do you point TD where to look for plugins, skins etc?
 

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Messages
14,315
Likes
3,282
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
#9
Menu - Extras - Filemanager

There you can check your files, delete, copy or rename files on your HDD or USB.
Llew