Brief summary of what's been going on last few years?

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Hey,

I've not had a Dreambox for something like 3 or more years. The last stuff I had was a few 7020s and I ran a linux server to host my card for them.

None of the HD boxes were around when I was up to speed. Images were thick and fast, and there were at least half a dozen emulators! Sharing was a pain to set up!

Am looking to get some dreamboxes again, must be Sky HD compatible. I used to do allot of transcoding of the stream from my dreamboxes on my PC and then broadcast to watch at work. Are these boxes powerful enough to do the transcoding themselves now?

Is there still an issue with the updates for Sky cards?

I'm in Holland now, but may look at sourcing the boxes back in the UK. Anyone recommend a supplier?

Cheers - will repay in kind once I'm up to speed again!

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
Nothing changed much. Images are more stable, but the boxes are still not powerful enough to do transcoding. Setup is pretty much the same, but most plugins are now downloadable from the blue panel. How much longer it will be possible to decrypt Sky on dreamboxes is open for debate as they are working hard on making it impossible. The cards update correctly if set up correctly. You will still need a Sky box to activate the card or get it fixed if something goes wrong (the card is tied to a specific Sky box). HD makes no difference, except that you have to use a HD dreambox (DM500HD, DM800, DM8000).

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Thanks for the response. The same worries about Sky existed when I was last using my dreamboxes, but I guess they'll be making more of an effort this time to put at end to it as card sharing has become more main stream.

The DM500HD is looking very attractive. Can't believe the prices of the dual tuner machines.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
Use 2 x DM500HD rather than a DM8000 - it gives you twice the processing power and you can use a single remote to control both boxes. It also means you can stagger the purchases. On top of it all I think the DM500HD is the best dreambox ever.

wannabee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo with 1TB HDD, Vu+ Solo with 500GB HDD, Dm7025 with 80GB HDD & 1m Triax
Advent 9415 lappy
My Location
Co. Tyrone
I would say forget about Dreambox.. and get yourself a Vu+ Duo..

Very very similar to the DM8000 and less than half the price..

And with the new VIX image,. Now thats something special..

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
true and not true. not true is that vix image is better compared to dream elite. its just an enigma2 minor change and looks every bit of it. dream elite on vx is so vastly better. true is that vx is the best box i have ever played with. total quality

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Interesting, I don't know much about alternative boxes. Last time I was around Triple Dragon's was the alternative.

Am looking to start off with two boxes, or one box and a PCI card for my PC.

Am looking at prices for the 500 HD in Holland, so far the best I found is 330 euros. Will check this other box.

Thanks guys!

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
For what it is worth: I have seen several STB manufacturers come and go, but Dreamboxes have stayed. Who knows how long before the VU+ is no longer available. I badly burnt my fingers when the Technomate TM9100 came out. I bought one as it was going to be the greatest (based on the other TM experiences from people) and it turned out to be a flop. So now I buy dreamboxes only.
By the way this is a DREAMBOX forum, not a VU+ forum.

BGPv4

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.2m, CM 1.8m
My Location
Sweden
wannabee said:
I would say forget about Dreambox.. and get yourself a Vu+ Duo..

Very very similar to the DM8000 and less than half the price..

And with the new VIX image,. Now thats something special..

Yep that is true, Vu+ Duo is the best box for money today, it's like a DM8000 for half the money.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Yeah, that's a good point. Dreamboxes have been around for a long time, and while they remain popular there will always be a good following and support structure for images and what not.

Glad to hear images are stable, that's probably the thing that bugged me the most, was when a box crashed.