Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Yumatu MX series
85 cm satellite dish
2 LNBs (Hotbird 13 - Astra 19,2)
My Location
Greece
Hello,

I have been wondering whether there is a way to watch BBC channels through the net, as in Greece, where I am located, I need a huge dish to get them. I found a way to watch American channels through the net but not British ones (or Canadian/Australian and other English- speaking channels).

Any suggestions?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I'm afraid there's no offical steam of BBC channels on the net, and any unofficial ones are likely to be very unreliable and of varying quality.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Get someone in the UK to get a slingbox - then you can watch over the net:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
There are certainly plenty to choose from here but as PM says they can be unrealiable and are only as good as your pc and internet connection. There are a few hundred there and 82 UK ones probably mostly shopping and some recordings but at least you would be more up to date than now :D

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-8500MCI, 1.2m dish,
USALS H-H, 2db dual output LNB, SkyStar2
My Location
Southern Europe
grtt said:
Hello,

I have been wondering whether there is a way to watch BBC channels through the net, as in Greece, where I am located, I need a huge dish to get them. I found a way to watch American channels through the net but not British ones (or Canadian/Australian and other English- speaking channels).

Any suggestions?

Any particular BBC channels? BBC1/2 etc., or just any English-language? What type of viewing? Movies, footie? What speed is your internet connection? I know your problem, I'm in Athens...

grtt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Yumatu MX series
85 cm satellite dish
2 LNBs (Hotbird 13 - Astra 19,2)
My Location
Greece
Well all BBC channels or ITV would be fine (apart from BBC Prime and BBC World which I already get on satellite).

I am just looking for some English language programs, I found -probably unofficial- trasmisions of all the major american networks through the net (ABC, CBS, NBC etc) and I have been wondering if there are any others for any other english speaking country.

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern Europe
Looking at your STB and LNBs, I think TPS should be available to you with a bit of a search here or on Google as to how, and most of their movies are with dual French/English soundtracks. If you are looking for news, Russia Today and CCTV9 both transmit at least partially in English on Hotbird.

Freeview BBC and ITV are only available on Astra 2D at 28,2 which as you say would require a dish upwards of 3,0m, so Analoguesat has the easiest solution if someone in the UK will dedicate a s*y box to you, otherwise the only option that comes to mind is not legal at all...

Apparently BBC are going to create another four lifestyle channels to supplement BBC Prime in the future and widely available worldwide - perhaps that will cover your needs?

maviesk

Reaction score
Not another 4 channels to supplement BBC Prime, they're actually getting rid of BBC Prime altogether and replacing it with 4 channels. Apparently they'll have 'first look' on new BBC programming, something I'm sure Prime never had..

BBC Entertainment
BBC Knowledge
BBC Lifestyle
Cbeebies

BBC Entertainment will replace Prime in Europe before the end of the year.

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern Europe
maviesk said:
Not another 4 channels to supplement BBC Prime, they're actually getting rid of BBC Prime altogether and replacing it with 4 channels. Apparently they'll have 'first look' on new BBC programming, something I'm sure Prime never had..

BBC Entertainment
BBC Knowledge
BBC Lifestyle
Cbeebies

BBC Entertainment will replace Prime in Europe before the end of the year.

Thanks Maviesk, I stand corrected... So is BBC Prime going to be renamed BBC Entertainment after they changed all the programming back in July?

maviesk

Reaction score
Raasay said:
Thanks Maviesk, I stand corrected... So is BBC Prime going to be renamed BBC Entertainment after they changed all the programming back in July?

Yep, in fact, it's going to happen this Sunday in Asian countries, with a new schedule including the likes of Footballers' Wives amongst other things. BBC Entertainment will basically be similar to what BBC Prime has become over the last month or two, but with new programmes. The staples of comedy and drama in prime time will persist.

johnnie boy!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
commander 5000ir
120cm dish on astra & hotbird & 80cm dish on hispa
My Location
Corfu, Greece
excellent news !
i also live in greece and lately have been looking for the same thing !

do you have any details as too which transponder & frequency the new channels will be ?
and which satellite ?

also i have been trying to find a way to listen to radio5 live without buying another receiver as you can only listen to 5live on the net if you are in the Uk when there is a match on !
if anybody could help there ???

thanks johnnie boy!

maviesk

Reaction score
BBC Entertainment will certainly launch before the year finishes but I'm not sure about the others. No idea about frequencies yet, it's early days I guess. Everything will become clear around November.

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern Europe
johnnie boy! said:
also i have been trying to find a way to listen to radio5 live without buying another receiver as you can only listen to 5live on the net if you are in the Uk when there is a match on !
if anybody could help there ???

Do you prefer 5live to watching it? Which team, or all of it?

slingman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
digital mesh (microwave) system
My Location
spain
if you google slingbox hosting - that may be your answer

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
Any more news on BBC Prime replacement channels mentioned ? Satellite ? subscription info ?

Grtt, what's your experience of the YAMATU ? Any idea if you could in the future use a normal SKY subscription card with it ?

koansrc ( from Athens - Greece )

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PoloMint said:
I'm afraid there's no offical steam of BBC channels on the net, and any unofficial ones are likely to be very unreliable and of varying quality.

Whilst there are no streaming channels, individual programmes (radio AND TV) are streamed from the BBC website for those that missed them first time round.
You may need to get a proxy address first though to fool the BBC server into thinking you are in the UK though.

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadtrial/

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/