My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
thanks for the info

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
andyw37 said:
I BELIEVE IN THE EU AND FREE MOVEMENT OF GOODS PEOPLE AND SERVICES BUT:

After running a very successful alternative football website I called it quits when I admitted what I was doing was copyright theft( and court writs)

Here is a similarity:

Bob approaches a large car dealer and asks to have the SOLE rights to selling their products on say the Isle Of Wight. He has a contract to this. He trades happily for years, then low and behold a dealership opens across the road by Jim also claiming to have genuine vehicles for sale direct from the factory. ( memoirs of Tesco Vs Levi Jeans mmm). He sells the same products at a vastly lower price, it transpires that the car dealer never sold Jim the rights to that territory. This is a copyright infringment, pure and simple, Jim is liable to private prosecution, possibly imprisonment however as it is civil it will be large fines, AND RIGHTLY SO.

SKY paid for the territorial rights to the UK to the FAPL, SO NO ONE has the right to show games except other UK copyright holders, simple. Whether we like it or not.

The FAPL drives prosecutions, as SKY have a right to redress if they feel what they paid for is not being protected ie ( compensation). Even if the TWF is successful in Europe it WILL NOT stop private prosecutions.

SKY cannot stop the leakage of viewing cards to Europe, they are the most secure providers in Europe.

This is likewise if Spanish bar owners decide to use SKY to view domestic games, unlikely as commercial prices in Europe are so low and the commentary would be in English.

Moderators beware, allowing your sponsors to advertise live football means you are facilitating the sale of such football viewing cards, therefore you can also be liable to prosecution and if found guilty the Proceeds Of Crime Act, believe me I know. This is also true to publicans, break criminal Law you could loose more than just a big fine.

SKY is a rip off but only because publicans have let them be, all very boring!!

Sorry to revive this, but can we have one clarification please?

Is it currently illegal for an individual in his own private house (so not a pub or publican) to watch English Premier League Football using say Nova, Premiere, Digitalb or ART cards? Is that also "copyright theft"?

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Yes it is. If you are watching programming that contains a copyright clause ie premiership football, friends etc etc then the card that contains the encryption was designed to be viewed in a certain region.Not out of it.

But it will never be prosecuted. That is down to resources and how reasonable it is.

As an EU Member State national you can freely watch your home countries programming as long a it is not commercial.

I think the next 2 years will bring about some large changes.

Sit the directors of NOVA, ART, Digialb, Premiere, TPS on national tv and they will say one thing, NO NO NO ( although secretly they like the revenue)!!!

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Thus anyone including a sat-hobbyist who currently watches Premier League football or 'copyright-restricted' programmes in the UK using any foreign card is basically a criminal?

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Yes they are commiting an offence.

The old yardage of "when is a person a criminal"? Is it when the offence is committed or when they are successfully prosecuted.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
QED

Rip off Britain 1 vs Joe Public 0

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
A letter being sent to licensees in foreign satellite hotspots — says screenings via domestic cards and systems based outside the EU will be targeted this season.

Although the Premier League and prosecuting agents Media Protection Services (MPS) insist all foreign systems are illegal, the letter from MPS seems to indicate it is unlikely to target those using broadcasting services based in the EU.

THE LETTER STATES

“Continued use of a BSkyB domestic or non-EU broadcaster’s domestic decoder card to access live Premier League football in commercial premises in the United Kingdom, without the payment of the applicable fee, following this warning letter, may render the person or persons responsible for that commercial use of such a broadcast liable to criminal prosecution.”

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
For those interested have a look at this report:

_www.harbottle.com/hnl/upload/documents/PubFootball1.pdf

satellite eye

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Media Protection Services
sounds like another organization like tvl with no legal powers',only big talk.
can anyone show some light on this group?.

NeroAer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky IRS & Hotbird
My Location
Staffordshire
Nilesat have a lot of football,. and we all know that people can get subscription cards, does it then become illegal for pubs to show these games free of charge?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes. The cards are sold for residential premises not commercial purposes.

Also the UK has a closed period where 3pm games are forbidden to be shown - which you would know if you had read the thread from top to bottom.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it does.

Post moved to a current thread, not one which died a death two years ago. ;)

NeroAer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky IRS & Hotbird
My Location
Staffordshire
rolf, thanks mate...

Also thanks for letting us have Kits and Sonko ;)

Analoguesat, I understand about the 3pm kick off times, but surely this can be circumvented by having a delayed viewing, and would then not affect any kick offs after 3pm?

Not meaning to be pedantic, but I've been asked to install a nilesat system and want to know the legal implications first, hence me only starting to post anything tonight, even though I've been a member for a year :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, was never a fan of Sonko too many cards and free kicks given away, but Kitson will be missed, having said that, I'm sure the money will come in handy, perhaps we can buy someone to plug our leaky defence. :)

I would happily install a dish for a pub to receive Nilesat, but would not supply the receiver or card.

Don't think it matters whether it is delayed or live, it is still on dodgy ground.

NeroAer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky IRS & Hotbird
My Location
Staffordshire
The pub landlord is getting all the gear, I'm just going to install it. So doesn't seem to be a problem then.

cheers for that ;)