Not open for further replies.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It depends. DLM can and does interfere with speeds. If it finds that your line is unstable, it will apply interleaving, which will reduce the sync speed. Mine went from 42.5Mbit to 38Mbit because of that. However, after about 6 weeks, G.INP was switched on and I am at around 44-45Mbit. G.INP is only applied to download stream as there are some incompatibility issues with upload G.INP and certain modems.

Also, check what make Fibre cabinet you're connected to. From what I know, only Huawei currently has G.INP switched on but there was a lot of talk about ECI ones having that done over the next couple of months.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
It depends. DLM can and does interfere with speeds. If it finds that your line is unstable, it will apply interleaving, which will reduce the sync speed. Mine went from 42.5Mbit to 38Mbit because of that. However, after about 6 weeks, G.INP was switched on and I am at around 44-45Mbit. G.INP is only applied to download stream as there are some incompatibility issues with upload G.INP and certain modems.

Also, check what make Fibre cabinet you're connected to. From what I know, only Huawei currently has G.INP switched on but there was a lot of talk about ECI ones having that done over the next couple of months.

Guess I need to get hacking so I can check the stats. I haven't moved in yet so no PC at the property but will see what happens next month when we're in after the renovations are done.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Why do you lot in the UK put up with such crap connections. I'm in the country 8 km from the nearest town,

20150908_140504_resized.jpg

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
One answer and one question.

A) Because there's no alternative.

Q) How much do you pay for that?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Very nice connection but I have no need for 300Mbps at the moment. I wouldn't complain about the 30Mbps up though but for downloads I find 30-50Mbps more than enough for my needs.

A

Archive-8

I would like fibre in the first place, I am only 500 meters from the main telephone exchange, all the other roads have but mine :mad:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, you tell them Huevos... and see who'll listen to you.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Because BT which provides the lines for 99.xx% of the UK have no interest in providing ftth. This BBC report tells you all you need to know about BT's contempt for the consumer

I was one of the .XX % almost a fortnight ago since they also cut off the phone line to the office for no apparent reason. It took five days for their 'team' to figure out the fault was back at the exchange and in that time they kept on giving the same 'must be at your end', 'take front off socket', ' callout to fix will be just over 150 pounds' etc, before it 'magically' came back on.

Looks like I'm in for a refund since the contract says 24 hours for a fix, but I'm still having to wait for the router to 'train', which I don't believe a word of since it has now been four days, and I normally pull the mains power at night with no ill effect on speed (even swopping routers over between home and office during the day if I need a break from work). It's only when they disconnect at their end things require a learning period.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
BT are a-holes. So are Vermins... so which a-hole do you go for? Both are useless.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Training: I was told the same thing recently by Plusnet techs. Over an initial period of 10 days, on a new installation, the system records the number of re-syncs and data errors, and will adjust your IP profile depending on this. If, like me, you had a faulty installation, you'll get an IP profile well below the potential of the line.
Mine fell steadily over the 10 day period. Only after 10 days can it be reset manually once a fault has been rectified.
My VDSL is currently connecting at 79997 down 19999 up.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There should be no reason for the connection to be 'recorded' for potential failures. Every time since I migrated away from dialup with an offer I could not refuse, the issue has been external, absolutely nothing to do with the property or equipment inside. Now I get less than I was originally promised on the BT500 Plug and Go contract over a decade ago.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Q) How much do you pay for that?
Free upgrade from my ADSL connection.

More or less 65€ for fixed line, mobile, and TV. 1 Gb of data to mobile across 4G (when out of range of WiFi). Free national calls from mobile and fixed line, and Digital+ TV Spain. Unlimited download/upload. And I run all my websites across this connection.

Last edited:

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Why do you lot in the UK put up with such crap connections. I'm in the country 8 km from the nearest town,

View attachment 87265

Not sure why you put up those lowly speeds either Ireland is the place to be:

4823319039.png

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
And.,........

Five days waiting for the modem to 'learn', it was still the same as earlier - and a little worse.

So one call to BT broadband again this afternoon, and 'we will carry out a SNR reset' (which turns out to be utter testicles according to this thread)

SNR Reset - Page 2 - BTCare Community Forums

from their end, and I'm now getting about 5.5 M downlink and 1 meg up.

So why did they not bother to do this from the start ?

Speed1.JPG Speed2.JPG

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
My new FTTC install is still showing a constant speed of about 37.5Mbps/8.5Mbps after 12 days with a current connection uptime of 127 hours (would have been longer if the electrician hadn't needed to kill the sockets) so all looking good.

I just need to figure out why the ethernet connection to my bedroom is going down for a few hours every few days, mainly in the evenings when I'm not there and then magically fixing itself by the time I get there the next day! I suspect it might be the old 8 way switch in the loft left by the previous owners that's faulty so I've temporarily bypassed it to see if that fixes the problem.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Not had any issue at all with my sky fibre pro constantly connected at 76mbps and around 19mbps upload.

Don't need any faster connection to be honest, game updates for ps4 download pretty quick and streaming is fine.

One thing I don't like is having to pay for a landline phone when will providers start to offer Internet only connections when everyone has mobiles these days.

I know virgin media do but this unavailable at my location

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Everybody must be still asleep on the Internet today. Just had my best result ever.
4945449238.png

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Nominally 10 Up/ 5 Down >> A bit pointless as I rarely upload anything more than a few pics, but I suspect it's just the nature of the beast for the 5GHz WAN architecture in use.

Can get double those speeds for another £5 per month, but no real need (Unless SWMBO discovers iPlayer!).

Status
Not open for further replies.