Broadcasters seal satellite deal

N

net1

A deal to save hundreds of thousands of satellite viewers from losing access to ITV, Channel 4 and Channel Five has been given the go-ahead.
Viewers will now be able to buy new cards so they can watch the channels after the BBC abandoned a deal to pay for them.

An estimated 600,000 satellite viewers who do not subscribe to Sky Digital need the cards to unlock the encryption service that guards access to Sky's channels.

When the BBC decided to broadcast "in the clear" on a new satellite in May, access to the other terrestrial, public service broadcasters was put in jeopardy for viewers without a Sky subscription.

The BBC had, until then, paid for their "solus" cards but the other terrestrial broadcasters were unwilling to stump up the full price of new cards.

ITV, Channel Four and Five will still contribute to the scheme viewers but will have to share some of the cost burden for the first time.

They must pay £22.50 for their cards once Sky changes its encryption system next month.

That will mean a bonanza for MGt, the Scottish company charged with providing billing and cash collection services under a two-year deal agreed today with ITV, Channel 4 and Five.

All affected viewers will be alerted to the new scheme through onscreen messages that will direct them to a call centre.

The BBC switched satellites in July to save £85m in encryption fees paid to Sky over five years.

Public service broadcasters needed the encryption service to limit the geographical spread of their services but the BBC's new satellite broadcasts over a smaller area that does not stray far beyond the British Isles.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
net1 said:
Public service broadcasters needed the encryption service to limit the geographical spread of their services but the BBC's new satellite broadcasts over a smaller area that does not stray far beyond the British Isles.

My lips are sealed. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, yes that is a bit of a joke, they obviously didn't read the fringe reception forum. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Shhh, aunties the word