BSkyB Closes Sky Magazine

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Earlier this year, BSkyB announced that it would be discontinuing publication of Sky Sports Magazine and Sky Movies Magazine. Both magazines were launched in January 2007, with the former being produced in-house and the latter being published by Future Publishing. Up until the time they were discontinued, both magazines enjoyed a circulation of four million subscribers.

As part of the changes, the broadcaster also announced that they would be changing Sky Magazine, Britain's biggest circulation title, to a quarterly magazine instead of a monthly one beginning August of this year. Now, however, it seems that Sky has changed its mind altogether. Sky Magazine subscribers have all been given letters explaining that Sky Magazine is also closing.

The magazine, which had a peak distribution of nearly eight million a month just two years ago, is no longer profitable for Sky. Given Postcomm's approval of increasing the Royal Mail's prices for bulk mail as well as the increasing price of paper, cost for printing has gone up. Ans since Sky has frozen subscriber prices for 12 months, they do need to cut costs and save money. Cutting the magazine is definitely one way to do this.

“We considered publishing a quarterly customer magazine to replace the monthly Sky Magazine,” said a Sky spokesperson. “But as a company that sits at the heart of digital entertainment and communications, we've decided to follow our customers online. Web and mobile platforms offer us a more immediate and engaging way to communicate with our customers, so this is our focus moving forward.”

This year also saw the launch of a weekly email for Sky subscribers called My Sky Week. This was packed with information on programme highlights, and it also offered links for content typically found in their magazines. The company also provided a TV Guide on Sky.com and created a customer service mobile app for its subscribers.

It is not known how many have lost their jobs due to the closures of the magazine or if the web platforms have absorbed any of the jobs.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
They should have done this years ago if the content within the magazine was useful, either sticking the content online, or listed as an additional subscriber channel within the satellite platform.

It makes absolute sense to have less stuff (that nobody can confirm is actually read) coming through the door, having made a journey that starts from a tree being felled, through the processing/printing/bulk distribution depot, eventually ending up at some landfill site, having sapped a huge amount of energy enroute.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
In this household it comes in through the front door and out through the back to the dustbin, only interrupted in its journey via the kitchen litter bin.

A shocking waste of resources.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Same here Llew, off comes the plastic wrap and straight into the recycling basket.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
IIRC, one of the advantages (To BSkyB, not to the punters) of publishing the mag. was some sort of tax benefit - although the subs. punters pay includes an element for the cost of production.

So are subscribers now going to see a price drop of a pound or so .................................... ????

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
IIARC it's to do with VAT. Newsprint and books are zero rated so $ly could claim a portion of the VAT back on the monthly subs which, of course, went into further quality programming.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The vat loophole was closed a few years ago.

Delighted to hear the mag has gone - one less thing to chuck in the recycling bin

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, ok.

I am very old indeed.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well if you lot and myself just chuck them in the bin then someone must have a rare collectors items stashed in a garage somewhere.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Is it true they charged for it and noone bought it so they put up the subscriptions and made it free?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Analoguesat said:
The vat loophole was closed a few years ago.
That decision was reversed when Sky pointed out in court that other companies were using the same loophole and Sky have been paying less VAT ever since

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
fergyc said:
Is it true they charged for it and noone bought it so they put up the subscriptions and made it free?
There was a subscription for it of £2 odd but that entitled subscribers to the same reduction on their TV subscription - so basically zero cost to subscriber. Sky got the production and distribution costs from the advertising revenue from the magazine - it had the largest distribution of any UK magazine (regardless of how many actually read it) and that figure counts for advertising revenue.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
davemurgtroyd said:
it had the largest distribution of any UK magazine (regardless of how many actually read it) and that figure counts for advertising revenue.
Some years ago my mother provided a UK address for her brother who lived in Spain so that he could get a $ly card. As a result, of course, a magazine was regularly delivered.

Knowing I was interested in sastellite reception she passed a few on to me. I tried to read one but it was absolutely dreadful. After that it was straight in the bin (no recycling back then).