Budget cassette player wanted

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Since I was little, I always wanted a big cassette player, something like Mayak 120 or Mayak 232. I have been looking at buying these but a) they are a little expensive (unless I find someone on Avito - Russian Gumtree - to post it to UK) and b) it won't bloody fit in my cabinet as it's not the standard "Hi Fi" width (46cm wide).

So, since I have a Technics amp, it's only appropriate that I go with a Technics tape player. It doesn't need to be anything fancy but I would like the following characteristics:

1) I want to *see* the tape. A lot of newer Technics units bury the tape deep inside and you can barely see it through the little window.
2) Must have VU meters of some sort - most do, anyway.
3) Needs to have decent noise reduction (Dolby B or C).
4) Needs to be black/dark.
5) Needs to be cheap. I don't want to spend more than £70-£80 including delivery.

Er... that's pretty much it. I don't have a lot of tapes to play already, so it will mostly be my own recordings. The idea will be to record my rare/expensive vinyls on tape and play them back with similar-ish analogue properties.

The closest one to my specs I've found so far is Technics RS-BX626 but other models considered.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Double your budget but I splashed out and imported from the US a Tascam CC222 professional deck - all the above plus a CD recorder and direct turntable input with pre amp. I can record vinyl to cassette or CD and dub cassette to CD and vice versa without having to switch amp on (monitor via headphones).

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Alex! Look in this second-hand market. If you find something suitable I can assist. Last weekend I was in my another garage, where I've found my old JVC stereo, it was in working condition (some minor faults), but I garbageed it anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20180408_125422 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20180408_125422 (Large).jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 9

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
2x CM 1.2m Polar Mount/Jack
65E- 65W
Gibertini 1m OP100 - STAB HH100 - Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 Twin
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
Cashgenerators/Cashconverters
Look in their stores and websites.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Couldn't wait. Bought the 626 during my insomniac moments overnight. Dangerous to keep the phone next to the bed....

Won't be the last word in quality but it'll fit well in my cabinet.