Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
TheHairyGoblet said:
Ok, cool. I think I will just use the Freesat mode to get all of the channels that I am supposed to get first just to make sure that works, then I will try and get those "loaf" channels.

I take it that I would have to manually input the frequency to get these extra channels, like Babeworld MILF for example!!?

Not sure exactly how to drive non-Freesat mode on your Box as that feature has only recently been introduce.

I have the Humax Foxsat, which has always had non-Freesat mode.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
I did want to ask you one other thing actually. Should I do the "First Time Install" that is on the Settings Menu? I haven't touched this and a mate at work reckons this might pick up the channels better?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
TheHairyGoblet said:
I did want to ask you one other thing actually. Should I do the "First Time Install" that is on the Settings Menu? I haven't touched this and a mate at work reckons this might pick up the channels better?

Yes- but only after you've proved your Dish is correctly aligned to 28E.

That routine is the one that takes you through the Plug & Play routine: It will ask you for a UK Postcode.

Select a Postcode which relates to the BBC/ITV Region you prefer (probably the one you had "back home".

It will then scan and put in place all the Channels that have paid to appear on the EPG.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Ok, cheers.

I must confess to be even more confused now! All day yesterday, I was using the "add non-Freesat Services" option on the box and then "Manual Tune".......this to me sounds like I have been doing the wrong thing because I just want to get the Freesat services.

Honestly, I am not trying to be annoying on purpose!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't worry - use the non-Freesat mode you've now become familiar with to help align the Dish. If it makes it easier to reconcile, just think of it as being Satellite Meter Mode!

Once you are happy you can receive from 28E, do the First-time Installation.

As I said before, the fog will lift :)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Unbelievable help on this forum - thanks so much. I will be back in touch tomorrow if I am not successful with more dumbass questions probably.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Last thing - I promise!!

28E - I assume that means I should be pointing the dish 28 degrees East? Because the dishpointer website tells me that the Astra2 satellite is south-east and is at an elevation of 29.8 degrees......am I completely in the wrong direction?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
28E means 28 degrees East of South.

So where you actually point your dish depends upon where you are located. Plus there are some tricky magnetic variation and other factors to consider.

Dishpointer does it all for you, by giving you bearing and elevation relevant to you.

But even then, you need to adjust the Dish: As you've found, Satellite clusters are close together in terms of moving the Dish and you can (and have) easily land on the wrong one.

I say again: Shift your Dish about 9 degrees further East from where it is now and reduce the elevation a tiny bit.

Then use very small movements to find and peak the Satellite.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Just want to say thanks to Tivu for all your help yesterday. Got home last night and within 20 mins had all the channels programmed in. I moved the dish slightly and made it more vertical and it sorted it all out. I can't believe I spent so long on Tuesday night and couldn't find it.

The only trouble is that I can't get ITV HD but I gather that is not really a stand alone channel. Plus I had BBC and ITV Scotland programmed in which was odd!

Cheers again.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well done you!

Final points, then:

ITV HD is not a true Channel - If you are watching ITV1 on 103 and a programme that is in HD is about to start, you will get a Red Button prompt.

Press it, and you will go to the HD version.

Schedule for HD is here _http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.HDschedule

Scottish Programmes: The Boxes are Postcode related - when you do a fresh Install (Remember that .........?) it asks you for a Postcode. Put in a UK Postcode that relates to an area whose Regional Programmes you want on 101, 103 etc.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Yeah, so far, I have not done a fresh install, I just kept the channels that it found and then added BBC London etc. I am afraid that if I do an install it will lose all the channels I have?

Thanks for the heads up on ITV HD.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, you won't lose anything!

The hard bit was aligning the Dish.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Ok, I will do tonight then and get rid of the Scottish channels.

One other thing......is it possible to record programmes on a Freesat box? I am assuming the answer is no because I have a basic box, but I wondered if there was another way around it?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Depends upon how many SCART sockets etc you've got - I believe the current version of the Bush has only one SCART, but if you've got it you are using the HDMI socket to connect the Box to the TV, then the SCART will be available for you to connect to a DVD Recorder, for example.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
I do have a SCART socket free because I am using the HD cable, but I dont have a DVD recorder, never mind, it was worth a question.

Thanks again.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
DVD Recorders are not expensive ................

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Ok, I might have a look into that, I assume you just record the show onto the DVD and then play it back, just like the old VHS system?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, but the quality is very much better.

There are also stand-alone Hard Disc Drive Recorders now.

Just looked at Argos and the cheapest is £120, which is rather more than I expected!

I paid £60 for mine :eek:

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush Freesat HD box
My Location
Frankfurt, Germany
Tivu,

I have another question......my Freesat channels are perfect but at the moment I only have them on the TV in my bedroom, is it possible to get the same channels fed into my TV in my living room without buying another Freesat box or dish?