Buying a Digibox without a subscription

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
The news section mentions that contract-free boxes will be available for 169 quid plus a 120 quid install fee. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a new legit. box without paying out the installation fee?

RESCO

Reaction score
If you PM me I can tell you where you can get Digiboxes for £165 + VAT with no installation & no ties to Sky. Regards Resco:)

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
At the moment you can get a "free minidish and digibox" installed for £120 without having to subscribe to Sky. I think that's the best you will get for a new box.

You are obliged to have it connected to a phone line for the first 12 months, so if that's a problem go for the offer in the above post.

Mikee

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You could try and get one from an auction site like Ebay.

I got a second hand out of contract unit for £80 plus a dish for £20 and got an installer to set it up for £35. That way I don't need a 12 month min contract etc.

There are also companies that re-condition units. They can be cheap also.

Just a thought.

Mikee

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
If you check the adds in the What satellite mag, you will find quite a few dealers selling them for approx 120-250 depending on the model.

Try to buy the latest model that you can afford has many of the very early but cheaper models tend to be both slow and not so reliable.

Regards

Old Satellite

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Thanks for all the replies. As far as brand new boxes are concerned, there still seems to be a big difference between the 'official', unsubsidised price and the asking price in different sat mag ads. I still don't understand why you can't buy direct from a Sky authorised dealer at the official price and give the installation charge a miss. There must be Digibox owners who want to replace an old model with the latest technology, so it is hardly strange to not need the installation.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Easysat,

The price you mention in your first post is the price offered by Sky, installers pay more than that excluding minidish and VAT for unlatched boxes, so you will not be able to buy one at that price from a normal dealer, he will want to make his profit on the installation as Sky are doing.

I would be inclined to PM Resco above, if he can get them legit at the price he says then it is more like what the price should really be.

rickkii

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
europe
yes, checking sat mags may work, but in any case, i happen to have four unopened, unauthorised panasonic tu-bsd31's up for grabs, if you can not locate any.