Can I convert from analogue to Freesat

Jimc2603

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no satellite yet
sony vaio computer
My Location
UK
New member - first message - so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I have an old analogue setup which used an analogue receiver (pointing to Hotbird)
Can this system be converted to Freesat relatively easily do you think?
(using same dish and cabling) Obviously an up-to-date receiver would be necessary and LNB(?)

Thanks,
Jim

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, it should be possible. Change the LNB to a new UNIVERSAL LNB, probably 40mm neck. Then swivel the dish eastward by 9 degrees and down a touch.

Probably worth putting a new length of wf100 or similar cable on there too.

G

Jimc2603 said:
New member - first message - so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I have an old analogue setup which used an analogue receiver (pointing to Hotbird)

Hotbird?

I suspect it is more likely to be on Astra 1 at 19.2 East.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rai uno said:
Hotbird?

I suspect it is more likely to be on Astra 1 at 19.2 East.

:-rofl2. Yep, I didn't even notice that, just took it that it was 19.2E.

G

Yup - I gathered that from the automatic mention of "9 degrees etc ..." :-righton

tealandsilver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm dish, labgear quad lnb, Humax Foxsat-HD.
My Location
Scotland
Jimc2603 said:

Can this system be converted to Freesat relatively easily do you think?
(using same dish and cabling) Obviously an up-to-date receiver would be necessary and LNB(?)

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, I've recently upgraded and just used my old analogue dish with new quad lnb (although I renewed all the cabling). Had to realign my dish to 28.2E and am using a Humax foxsat hd receiver (not HDR :mad:). Found this forum great for advice, also this link was good if you don't have a compass
_http://www.dishpointer.com/
regards
David

Jimc2603

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no satellite yet
sony vaio computer
My Location
UK
David~
Thanks for your reply.
I currently use Freeview(with a Hauppauge)decoder.When set up (2 years ago)this worked fine, but now ITV, ITV3 are usually giving poor reception especially early in the day(at one time they were great and BBC4 was unwatchable - that's OK now).
We have large trees close by, which may cause problems.
Is Freesat always without reception problems?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
In the UK there shouldnt be any reception problems whatsoever with Freesat reception as long as the dish is correctly aligned and there are no external influences disturbing the signal (eg trees in the line of sight)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Line of sight problems are much easier to avoid with satellite than they are with terrestrial TV, because the dish points up to the sky (25 degrees approx), rather than being horizontal. Also, using a dish one size bigger than usual, will minimize the effects of rain fade.