Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, at the moment I am paying a tenner to have the SKY functions. Is it possible to take out the sky cam and put one in that is used for premiere world ? If so what software would the digibox use once I'd turned the dish to the appropriate position ? would it download the necessary software for premiere world ?
If so the record function should then be turned on shouldn't it as there is nothing in the software preventing it from being on ?
Would the record function be available for premiere world if it had previously been switched off whilst I was using the box to watch SKY ?
The reason I ask is because if I was to buy a digibox over here from nokia with a harddrive in it and I was to put my sky cam in it I should also be able to record as by the looks of things the record function on the sky box comes deactivated until you register the box by sky and have them turn it on. Over here in germany the nokia boxes are sold without this function being locked.
My question is though, if the sky box has not had this function switched on and I download the premiere world software on to it would this software turn the function back on ?
Reason why I should want to do this ?
If it all works, I can have the record function on my sky box turned off, put the sky cam and card in my nokia box on which the record function is on and not have to pay the 10 pound a month extra. If in putting a premiere world cam in my sky box the record function then also works I have the option of recording on both boxes without paying sky a tenner.
Nice one.
Methos.
I hope somebody out there knows what I'm talking about and can help me ;-)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately Methos, your plan has one fatal flaw, I'm pretty certain that the Videoguard cam is not removeable from the Sky+ box.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From another angle (and not having seen a Sky+ unit)

1) Is the CI slot (if there is one) activated to accept other CAMS, unlike other Sky boxes ?

2) Can the Sky+ box accept tuning in of symbol rates other than the usual 22000 and 27500

3) Can the Sky+ box store more than 50 non Sky channels ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sorry - it went off before I could finish

If you then could take the box off Astra 2 and position the dish on Astra 1 and Premier, then theoretically Sky could not disable the box once you've paid the first £10, and you could use it ad infinitum

Unless the activation is not date related of course.

Videoguard is unlikely to be a separate CAM as Rolf says, it would be then a limited time for Europe to have the 'best' of bank account depleting PayTV, though it is coming soon in limited numbers if we are to believe the hype.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

The SKY (Videoguard) encryption system in all box types is well-and-truly embedded. There is no CAM to change, insert, or, think of. That, so far, AFIK has kept it secure.

So, no, it cannot be removed.

I wish they would bring out a CAM, but, pigs will fly first, me thinks.

Mark.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Oh well never mind. Cheers anyway, Guys.
Methos.