Can I use DiSEQC switch and motor together on DB500?

craignigel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4m PF Fagor fixed dish Invacom quad C120 LNB. Amstrad SD Sky Rx 1 feed with Sky Subs. 2nd feed via DISEqC switch to my DB500S, 3rd to a Ross HD Rx.The switch also connects my 1m dish with a Motsat3 motor to DB. Satlook Micro G2 meter
My Location
Los Balcones, Torrevieja, Alicante, Spain and Moortown Leeds UK
Hi

I posted about using a DiSEQC switch on my DB500 in a low signal area, about 4 weeks ago. I have this installed and working fine without any obvious signal loss.

I have now bought a DiSEQC motor here in Spain (MOTOSAT3) and I have installed it on my smaller dish. Can someone please point me in the right direction in the DB Motor setup menu? I have read the guides and looked back through many posts but I am not sure how to distinguish between my two dishes.

Previously some members suggested that it may be possible to use both a switch and a motor on a 500 but were unsure how to do it as there is not a specifc option in the motor setup for both.

I use Gemini & CCam v 2.0.10 on the DB.

Thanks

Bob

Borsalino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there,

It is possible to do what you want.
In satellite setup select the non statndard satellite setup.
Under the LNB setup change the diseqc version to 1.2 for the lnb you have on the rotor. Save the settings and in the setup menu you will find the rotor settings to set you coordiates.
After that you just give the same LNB number to all the new sats you want on the rotor.
Sorry do not know gemini that well to give the exact menu options.

Regards
B

craignigel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.4m PF Fagor fixed dish Invacom quad C120 LNB. Amstrad SD Sky Rx 1 feed with Sky Subs. 2nd feed via DISEqC switch to my DB500S, 3rd to a Ross HD Rx.The switch also connects my 1m dish with a Motsat3 motor to DB. Satlook Micro G2 meter
My Location
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've taken a look at the menus but it appears to be be different in Gemini. I just can't match up what you have suggested with what appears on screen. However, it's good to know that it is possible to have both a switch and a motor. i will just have to try and figure out how!!!:-comp

Once again Thanks

Bob

Borsalino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Had a search around in google images.
If I am not mistaken you should have something like this:

Setup - Service Search - Satellite Config.
Under Sat Config there is a drop down menu with options like:
-1 satellite
-2 Satellites
-4 Satellites
- Many Sat with rotor
-Non Standard user defined config.

You need to select this last option and you will see all the extra setup options I wrote about in my previous post.

Some screenshots to help you orientate yourself.

_http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bartendernz/SatelliteConfig.png
_http://www.tricebit.com/sat/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/satconf.jpg
_http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bartendernz/SatelliteConfigOption.png

regards
B

craignigel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to look around for some help for me.

I can get to the screen "Non Standard Cofig..." but it what I have to enter that is the problem...with this and subsequent screens that follow on. At present I have a feed from my larger fixed dish going to Input 1 on the DISEqC switch and the feed from my motorised smaller dish going to input 2 on the switch. Then in the Sat Config menu, I had "2 Sats via DISEqC Switch A/B" selected with the Sat/Pos options entered
as:
1. Eurobird/Astra2 etc.................. DISEqC AA (my fixed dish)
2. Hotbird6/7A/8 etc.................... DISEqC AB (has motor now)

As soon as I change Sat Config menu to "Non Standard Config" I run into trouble as I dont know how to continue. I have tried various entries but I end up loosing reception on either one or the other feeds. I then re-boot the DB and return the previous setup.

I know that I have to line the dish up to Thor so that I can get onto the arc but until I sort out the DB set up, it is pointless as the motor just moves the dish when I try to enter data.

I have been using Dreambox 500 Guide for Newbies which I found here:

--http://satelity.wbs.cz/Dreambox_500_For_Newbies_5%5B1%5D%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.5.pdf

There are two examples of "complex" setups towards the end of the guide but neither are quite what I am trying to do.

I don't know what LNB number (0 or 1 or 2) to use for each dish so that they are seen by the switch etc.

Many thanks for your help.

Bob

Borsalino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there,

You are not far from getting it done.

If you change your setup type to "Non Standard" you shoud see a screen like page 25 in the newbies guide, of course with different sat names.

Select the number next to the Eurobird/Astra2 sat. (most probably it will be a 0) and press ok on your remote. you get to the screen on page 26 in the guide.

Leave the setting as they are and press the BLUE button on the remote.
Now you are on a screen like on page 27 in the guide. (not all of the options are visible yet for you. it is ok.)

Next to disecq mode select version 1.
Now you should see more options on the screen.
New to disecq parameter select A/A
Now save the changes with the green button.

Now go back to the satellites config screen. (Page 25 in your guide).

Select the lnb number next to the HotBird Satellite (Most probably 1) and press OK on the remote.
Go through the next screen with the blue button.
Now you are on the 2nd LNB settings screen (page 27).

Set the disecq mode to 1.2 as this is the rotor control.
Set disecq parameter to A/B
Set disecq repeats to ONE.
Save these settings as well.

Now if you add a new sat on the rotor all you have to do is set its LNB number to be the same as the LNB number of HotBird.

The LNB numbers are there for your reference only. The dreambox uses the disecq settings to select the LNB it needs.

If you do not understand something don't worry it is most likely my expanations are not clear.

regards
B

craignigel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi again

Great, thanks I have done all that and I can switch between Hotbird and Astra without any problems (I get a brief message say dish is moving...but it isn't as its on Hotbird). I finely tweeked it using single east and west movements on the remote for highest quality and lowest error rate using BBC News. Then I stored it at Position 1. Correct??

Now do I add and store further sats on the arc (then I will know i was previously correctly aligned....wall bracket vertical etc)? GOTO xx is not ticked...i pressume that is right because I am going to add sats??

So lets say I'm going to add Astra1s at 19.2E. Could you just start me off please? Then I think I will be OK. I kinda understood what (and why) you were doing in the previous instructions.

Thanks so much and I hope this helps others in the future.:-worship

Regards

Bob

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
GOTO xx doesn't work with a 500s in my experience.

Borsalino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Glad you got this far.
To add a new sat to your rotor first go to Satellite Config screen.
Select the NEW button (or press the yellow button on your remote).
A new line is added to your list of satellites.
Move the cursor onto the name of the satellite you have just added.
Click OK and from the drop-down menu select Astra 1 (19.2E).
Now check that the LNB number for Astra1 is the same as for HotBird.
If not change it to be the same.
Save these settings.
Now enter the Motor Config page.
You have already set the position for HotBird.
To set up Astra1 19.2 East do the following:
For Number in Motor enter 2 (as it is the next free place in the motor memory)
For Orbital Position enter 192 (this is always the position in degrees times 10 19.2 * 10 in this case)
Direction is EAST.
Now prees the Blue button. You get to the 2nd page of Motor config.
Set the MODE to Position.
Set the Satellite to 19.2E Astra1
And set the Transponder to 10788 / 22000 / Vertical.
I choose this transponder for you as it is part of the spanish digital package and should have a strong signal at your location.
Move the cursor to Direction and using left and right key try to peek the signal.
I think it is LEFT (sorry always get confused about it) you have to go from HotBird to get to Astra1.
When you get the best signal check some of the other transponders from the drop down list to make sure you are on the right satellite.
When all is done press the green button to store the position in the motor.

I think that's it.

Regards
B

craignigel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi

A big thank you for this. It worked. I found Astra 1 with no problem at all. The motor moves as I change channels from Hotbird to Astra and vice versa, to my stored postions. In fact, I think it was easier to align to the sat using the right and left arrow buttons on the remote, than having to manually adjust the dish (because of the very small steps the motor makes). I'm getting very good signal quality and very low error rate on Astra1's and Hotbird.:-thumb1

The DISEqC switch works too and changes the dish input to the DB when I select an Astra2 channel.

We are delighted and I am going to add more sats. It will be interesting to see if the motor enables the dish to stay on the arc....I will know how vertical my bracket is!!!

Your instruction were very clear and I understand what I am doing now.
Thanks for taking your time to help.

Kind Regards

Bob