Can Twitter Save Doctor Who?

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
The Doctor Who spin-off show called Doctor Who Confidential has just been dropped by BBC3. The show, which would air at 8pm on Saturdays, soon after Doctor Who would finish on BBC1, was launched in 2005 to coincide with Doctor Who's revival. It featured cast and crew interviews, behind-the-scenes clips of the show, and episode secrets.

A spokesperson for the BBC gave an official statement to its viewers: “For the past sever years, Doctor Who Confidential has put you at the heart of Doctor Who, providing a unique insight into the stars, the show and the entire production. The Confidential team captured the rebirth of the show back in 2005 and for over half a decade they have given an unsurpassed, access-all-areas insight not just into Doctor Who, but the magic and mechanics of making successful drama. From an episode directed by David Tennat, to the special edition that broke the news that Matt Smith would be the Eleventh Doctor, Doctor Who Confidential has always delivered the very best in must-see behind-the-scenes action... [it] has been a great show for BBC3 over the years, but our priority now is to build on original British commissions, unique to the channel.”

The same afternoon that the announcement was made, however, fans launched a Twitter campaign to try and save Doctor Who Confidential. In just one afternoon the following rose to 3,000 people, and the numbers are rising.

“That is rubbish,” said one tweet.

“I'd rather BBC canceled EastEnders than Doctor Who Confidential,” said another.

BBC3 controller, Zai Bennet, is unlikely to budge, though. As he told the Edinburgh International Television Festival, he'd be “focusing” his budget on the 9pm and 10:30pm slots. “Budgets are tight,” he said. “So we have to be sensible with the money we have.”

Bennet has already cut Ideal, Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, and Hotter than My Daughter. Cutting the shows are all a part of BBC's plans to manage during their six-year license free freeze, which cut 20% of their budget. Rumor even has it that they may cut overnight programmes on BBC1 and replace daytime shows on BBC2 with the news.

It isn't just the shows getting the axe, either. To be fair to the corporation, they've already cut a number of senior managers and have frozen bonus payments. The final cost cutting strategy is yet to be revealed, but it seems they're already doing as much as they can.

So it seems unless Twitter starts shelling out cash, there's little fans can do except watch the final episode of Doctor Who Confidential this Saturday on BBC3. It follows Doctor Who's series finale The Wedding of River Song.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Rachel_Sandford said:
“I'd rather BBC canceled EastEnders than Doctor Who Confidential,” said another.

Sincere, but unfortunately irrelevant to the BBC empire. The more viewers that will sit motionless in front of the gogglebox to have their grey matter scrambled, the better.

“You'll never go broke pandering to the lowest common denominator.” - Lisa Simpson

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Channel Hopper said:
“You'll never go broke pandering to the lowest common denominator.” - Lisa Simpson
Itself based on a quote by H L (Henry) Mencken

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

It can be applied to any country you care to mention.