Canal+ to change cards to Mediaguard 2

C

chicko1978

Stream is using the mediaguard in Italy 'cause in Italy there is a new law that force the two pay-tv's to use the encr. system of the other one so people can view both of them with only one decoder.
So maybe Stream will have to change it's cards as well as they are being guided by D+ !!!!
The others I don't know but if this system will prevent from hacking mediaguard I think every pay-tv will one day or another opt for this new system!!!

Dinu

Reaction score
The point of the itallian law which was introdced last year was that if you own a receiver you can see both systems with a single cam! The italian government it would not be very pleased with proprietary boxes and Stream after just implementing mediaguard won't be very happy to change it just because the competition wants to! If the change is going to happend there will be a big legal battle there!! So indeed Italy is most plagued by piracy ( good for them ;) ) but I think this is the place where this thing is not most likely to happend. If they (C+) mannage to do it in Italy they will do it everywhere so stay strong ragazzi :)!

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
I've been thinking about this ... doh...

Now... if the Providers are not going to swap out all their Boxes or CAMs, and are only replacing the cards - which seems to be what is happening.

Surely the CAMs which are curently being used by hobyists won't be made obsolete.

A new generation of card may be needed, but that is quite another thing from having to throw away all the CAMs.

Do you follow the logic of this 2Old, and do you agree with me?

Regards

W Hole

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
well your thinking is flawed in this sense: Canal+ have full control of the software that goes into theri own boxes. If they want to imnplement new cards that would only work in a box with new software, then they can easily do so. They wouldn't have to swap out all the boxes but the non-=Canal+ boxes would be left high and dry.

However, the post earlier on the Italian law is hitting the nail on the head. All of Europe, incidentlally, is supposed to be ensuring the same thing as the Italians - its just that most over governments are dragging their feet (partly because in many European countries such as NL and UK there is only one satellite provider operating and so the pressure from consumer groups is less).
If Canal+ switch to cards which fail in the Aston CAMs then those people who have bought one CI machine+Aston CAM with the express purpose of being able to subscribe both to Canal+ (D+) and, say, Stream, will find that they now have to go out and buy that additional box for the Canal+ stuff. Which is the very thing the Italian government has been trying to prevent by forcing those providers to simulcrypt in the first place.

2old

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Here's something that could put a spanner in the works though...

http://www.satellite.it/viewnews.asp?ID=2099

Seems Canal+ is now ready with their own REAL Mediaguard CAM. If that's marketed then they will be able to comply with the Italian government's requirements. And they might then implement new cards which only work in those real Mediaguard CAMs, not the Astoncrypt emulations. Worse still, looks like it will only be available as aprt of a subscription...

2old

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
But surely it would cost a fortune to issue all existing subcribers with these new CAMs.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I didn't imagine for a moment that they would do that.

But I can imagine that they would be happy to leave such users (of CI CAMs) high&dry - and when challenged on that legal obligation simply point out that they ARE complying because there IS a CI-CAM solution available (i.e. there IS a way subscribers of multiple providers can get away with only having one decoder).

It depends how the law is worded. Maybe offering such a capability is itself sufficient even if it means that in order to make use of that capability some subscribers would need to make another new investment in kit.

2old

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
I can see that, but would they not need to provide new 'hardware' for their existing customer base, and this would surely be very expensive.

Or do you think they will dovetail the introduction and gradually phase out the existing kit.

Any idea how many boxes they have deployed around Europe?

Regards

W.H.

Dinu

Reaction score
C+ has millions of legit users arround europe, many of them which are using astoncryt. The only roblem seems however to be Italy where they had imlemented legislation reglementing this. My feeling on this one is that they will force astoncryt to release a 1.06 or 1.07 version which with the seca2 it will not hackable therfore reducing the amount of piracy (much like the irdeto and humax 5400 story). One thing suorting this is the phasing out of seca 1.05! This way they willl reduce piracy or at least contain it (for a while) while not having to spend hundreds of millions on relacing equipment all over Europe and having to face lawsuit in countries like Italy! Also in Italy they might loose all legit astoncrypt users to stream! :)

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
>In fact, Canal+ doesn't want those CAMs used at all, since
>they want their subscribers to purchase their own Mediasat
>boxes with embedded real-Mediaguard CAMs.
>And let's be under no illusions - it wouldn't be the first
>time Canal+ imposed a technology change which rendered even
>legal subscribers' equipment useless. In fact it would be
>the fifth time so far.
>
>2old

2old are you saying that Official subscribers had to chnage there digiboxes 5 times because of piracy and did they have to pay for it??

If it would happen to Skydigital there will be an outcry!!
5 times technology change. Can not believe it :) :) :)

TB

Reaction score
Going off topic of the thread a bit, I'm supprized at how c+ seams to have all of europe sown up, apart from the UK and Ireland. I thought the EU was all for competetion, ok c+ are not the only satellite supplier, but they certaintly appear to be a dominant force. I looth $ky as much as the next decent thinking minded person, but I cant help but think $ky could never get where c+ is, me finks the unelectable and unaccountable boffins in brussels, in any proposed merger would have a look in their competition books find that $ky is listed on the LSE and say oh no this merger aquastion cannot happen not good for competition, as they have done in the past with a number of British/American company proposals.

Z

zoltar

This Mediagaurd 2 thing is all a hoax!!! ...... besides now we have Universal Cam which is a very affordable toy!!!!!!

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Zoltar

I hope you are right about the 'hoax', but what are you basing your comments on?

Regards and season's greetings

W Hole

R

rmcrossman

somebody please put me at rest!!!!!!!

less than 2 years ago i bought a BRAND NEW nokia 9303s goldbox from italy, since then i have been using codes provided to me by various sources...

>will i have to apply for a secaII card to watch ftv untill hacking occurs again?

>(on my reciever you can only watch the tv shows (ANY SHOWS - EVEN ONES WHICH ARE FTA ON OTHER RECIEVERS) once you have inserted the (presumably) secaI card or, of course, the hacked pic/eeprom card...
what will happen when the change occurs?

>who do i go to to get the new card?

>will i have to fork out on yet another reciever?

>how long can we expect until someone sorts the hacking of the new system out?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Courtesy of R2D2 from another site today

Spanish pay-TV provider Canal Satélite Digital is scheduled to introduce the Seca/Mediaguard II encryption on Monday 8th April, also covering the popular pay-per-view platform Taquilla.

The procedure of encryption upgrades will take around 4 days through several stages, and short interruptions in services are expected.

It's reported that the original Seca/Mediaguard I encryption on CSD will continue to co-exist with version II until mid-May 2002 - while the broadcaster issues new replacement Version 7 smartcards.

The upgrade of encryption is a European pay-TV initiative to knockout widespread pirate smartcards, Italy's Telepui is reported to be the next in-line for the version II switchover.

Rivals to Seca/Mediaguard encryption owners Canal Plus Technologies, NDS has been accused of the widespread availability of Seca/Mediaguard I pirate cards.

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
pj::Bulaggna
But thre's another aspect to consider: a friend of mine worked for canal+ ,and when people wanted to put a spot on a channel ,they used to say: we have 2 million of subscribers,but at list the double of families watching our publicity..so you should pay even for the illegal watchers..A long period of diminished advertisement could do a lot of harm to canal+ and stream,the solution won't be painless.

006ymedio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
The new cards (v.7) are black and are being distributed now in Spain. We won't be seeing the spanish Canal + in a while!. Next month the tv screen will be black in those channels.

Saludos.

W

waldito

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Apr-02 AT 11:03 PM (GMT)]Living is Spain, We can Confirm that. C+ has indeed implemented SecaII, As far as we know, TAQUILLA pay per view channels are no longer available, and the rest still open, but pops up on seca receivers a message asking for the new card (That c+ has been distributing and we all got some!) best know as Black Card or HARDCARD. Spanish people hasn´t figured out yet how to work around with it, but there´s some attemps to decode the new MediaguardII:

http://membres.lycos.fr/ddigitales/novedades.php

Also we heard there´s nobody around Europe who´s already found a solution! But we keep on looking for it! This has just started... Fun comes now !! :D

want to see the source of all trouble!? have a look!
http://www.portalpirata.com/La%20nueva%20Galleta.zip

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
HOPE YOUR RIGHT 2OLD I HOPE YOUR RIGHT,THANKS FOR THE REPLY ABOUT SATHACK RO.

PLEASE PUT YOUR FEET UP,RESERVE YOUR ENERGY

FOR US.

REGARDS MIKEEY.