Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Had BSB originally but then when formed was switched to Sky, I never thought it was value for money and definitely still do not, but it suited us and we could not be trekkies without it. The latest increase, only £2 for me takes my package up to £30 per month, for that we get no sports or movies so the wife and I have finally decided to cancel it. Have read a lot on-line and on here about nightmare scenarios trying to cancel and 90 minutes of persuasion to continue so was just wondering if anyone had any more recent thoughts before I do the deed. My gripe is that they look after new customer and forget the existing, I still do not have sky plus or HD, as they have never offered me a deal so that is it.

AndyX

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-F3/5
Octagon SF4800
Octagon SX88
Fibo Gregorian 1.2m
Motec Positioner
Inverto c120 twin LNB
My Location
Central Scotland
I have been a customer since the squarial myself. Again, it has been Sci-fi that has driven the subscription. Recently it has been very hard to justify increases in the light of the level of those increases. Virgin Media is not available in my area. The BT and Talk Talk alternatives are poor in comparison. I do prefer an HD picture do I am paying for that as well. I have never been so close to cancelling as this week. I have been contemplating being patient and just buying Sci-fi series box sets once the price comes down, second hand, or viewing on Amazon Prime. I was in a second hand store today and saw that I could get box sets quite cheaply. Probably like you it is nice to see series as soon as they are out but, it it worth it at current prices. Only you can decide. You never know, if you phone them, Sky may offer a deal to keep your custom that may keep you happy.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Following all the nightmare stories, from Sky customers, trying to cancel, they are supposed to have improved their operations, and make cancelling easier.
I have never bothered with Sky, as I had satellite before Sky started their British monopoly, and much preferred other options, when they left 19.2E, I rarely moved my dish to 28.2E, preferring 0.8W, 13E, and 19.2E, in the old days.
I did cancel my Sky broadband, as they changed the terms, of my contract, and I found that quite easy.
No doubt they will try to keep you, as a customer, with various deals, but they shouldn't be as pushy, as they once were, if you are determined to leave them, and of course, like the rest of us, you aren't exempt from junk mail, and their constant advertisements, in my case, radio advertisements.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Just tell them from the word go that you have switched to another provider so there is little point in having the same services twice. That usually stops it dead.

It worked for me when i switched to Virgin Media cable, although i only have their basic subscription as it suits my needs as i watch most stuff online through their Tivo service.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Put it in writing, then call them. As above, tell them you have already moved to another provider.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Of course, you could tell them you are retiring to Spain ..... ;)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Had BSB originally but then when formed was switched to Sky, I never thought it was value for money and definitely still do not, but it suited us and we could not be trekkies without it. The latest increase, only £2 for me takes my package up to £30 per month, for that we get no sports or movies so the wife and I have finally decided to cancel it. Have read a lot on-line and on here about nightmare scenarios trying to cancel and 90 minutes of persuasion to continue so was just wondering if anyone had any more recent thoughts before I do the deed. My gripe is that they look after new customer and forget the existing, I still do not have sky plus or HD, as they have never offered me a deal so that is it.
I'm in the same position as you, although I started with Sky analogue in 1990. I've also now hit the £30 mark with this £2 increase and think it's time to go. Not interested in paying extra for HD so never have, although I do now have a cheap eBay Sky+HD box since they where now offering Sky+ recording at no extra cost (that was another thing I wasn't prepared to pay extra for).

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I forgot to mention that we have Netflix and BT Youview with free sports channels since late last year so it really has now become superfluous.

Of course, you could tell them you are retiring to Spain ..... ;)

I wish I was retiring to somewhere warm but it would not be Spain

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I wish I was retiring to somewhere warm but it would not be Spain

Well, France is warm (allegedly)........warm enough to have the Winter Fuel Allowance for ex pat pensioners withdrawn anyway...

Laser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dr HD F15, OS mio + 4K, Octagon SF8008, Octagon SX88+. TM 5402HD M3. .Channel Master 1.20 Ku and C Band. 1.1 Triax Dish
My Location
Berkshire
I am like you Topper. Had the very first box an Amstrad from the local Dixons in 1989 a few days after Sky launched with the 4 Channels. If I remember.. Sky Movies , Sky One , Sky News and Eurosport.
Now it's just too much. Everything is going up. Multiroom included.
I haven't had a pay rise !!!!!!!
So discussing with the wife what's going to go... For sure some if not all. I was one of the first.
They are ....TOO GREEDY!!!!

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Cancelling usually gets offers of up to 50% off after they have processed it but before services actually disappear - find them in My Sky on their website.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Sorry ..no advice or horror stories to tell ...
just one word ..
CONGRATULATIONS

in the words of M L K ...
Free at Last ..

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You will feel cleaner when you've done the deed.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Just tell them from the word go that you have switched to another provider so there is little point in having the same services twice. That usually stops it dead.

It worked for me when i switched to Virgin Media cable, although i only have their basic subscription as it suits my needs as i watch most stuff online through their Tivo service.

Almost the same here I told them I was switching to another provider about 9 years ago no problems even come back to Sky mail ceased after 2 years,
I also have the Virgin basic package as I watch most of my sports via other satellites + Tivo & catch up for general viewing,

A lot of people do not realise that BBC-1,ITV,Ch-4 SD & HD are free to air I have helped my family & friends by connecting up a Free to air satellite receiver to the spare outlets on the Quad Lnb where available within a couple of weeks they have cancelled sky & stayed with FreeSat.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You're not wrong about the state of people's awareness, William. Even now, several years after Freesat launched, a huge number of Sky Subscribers rarely watch anything they actually need the Sub for and are firmly entrenched in a state of inertia.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
You're not wrong about the state of people's awareness, William. Even now, several years after Freesat launched, a huge number of Sky Subscribers rarely watch anything they actually need the Sub for and are firmly entrenched in a state of inertia.
Quite so ..
I have had numerous discussions with customers in my shop about satellite reception..
They wrongly assume satellite is sky and vice versa ..
Rupie has done a fabulous job of mis-educating punters imo.
Joe public is totally unaware for the most part that there are -any- other satellite services other than sky.
They actually use the the word 'sky' when they actually mean 'satellite'..
it beggars belief

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
There was a post today on one of the Brittany expat forums I belong to, where the person (who is domiciled in the UK and has a second home in Brittany) decided to cancel his subs. Sky came back to him with a 50% reduction for a year. Needless to say he's considering changing his mind about cancelling.

A nonymous

Reaction score
I got a 50% reduction for 3 years, after that they only offered me 25% so i told them to stick it. BT also got their marching orders :-lmao

Been with VM ever since and cant say i've had any problems :D

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Quite so ..
I have had numerous discussions with customers in my shop about satellite reception..
They wrongly assume satellite is sky and vice versa ..
Rupie has done a fabulous job of mis-educating punters imo.
Joe public is totally unaware for the most part that there are -any- other satellite services other than sky.
They actually use the the word 'sky' when they actually mean 'satellite'..
it beggars belief
Is that also not down to the diabolically poor marketing by freesat. What was the last advert for freesat you saw?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Is that also not down to the diabolically poor marketing by freesat. What was the last advert for freesat you saw?
Possibly Dave ...but you have to take into consideration that Sky /BSB got there first and a long time ago back when it was analogue ...
Once an idea is established in the public consciousness it is difficult to change it ..
No disrespect intended ..but we humans are for the most part 'herd animals' imo
Take VHS and Betamax as an example...
rgds