Cannot get channel 998 with quattro LNB and 5/12 Switch?

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
I have recently changed my standard Sky HD+ install for an 80cm dish, Quattro LNB and 5/12 switch so that I have access within each room in my house (with the use of a receiver).

However, I have just connected a receiver in one bedroom (an old Thomson Digibox), and cannot receive the Sky Channel 998, nor CBEEBIES - I get the "no signal" message. Looking at the setup menu, I have around a 75% signal (although there is no quality rating???), and all other channels can be received, e.g. BBC1, BBC2, Sky One etc.

The same Digibox connected to the old standard Sky dish picks up Channel 998 and CBEEBIES.

Is there something I am missing with a Quattro LNB/Switch arrangment which might prevent the pick up of these particular channels???

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What channels can you get if you scan 10773H 22000 5/6 ?

Use the Add Channels function, I think its in the system menu.

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
I tried that - comes up with no channels found!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Check you haven't wrongly connected the feeds/IF band from the LNb to the switch inputs.

What manufacture and model is the switch?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
idavies said:
I tried that - comes up with no channels found!

In which case, the below statement isn't true is it.:)

idavies said:
and all other channels can be received, e.g. BBC1, BBC2, Sky One etc.

Check that the feeds are not mixed up as SMM suggests.

Suspect a problem with the lo band horizontal.

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks for the responses.

Certainly is true - BBC1, BBC2 channels received OK, but not CBEEBIES, although I understand where you're coming from, i.e.

Astra 2D Satellite (28.2° East)
Transponder 45
Frequency: 10.77325 GHz
Horizontal polarisation
Symbol rate: 22.0 Mbaud
FEC5/6

should provide all the BBC channels, but I get 'no signal' when I try to "Add a channel" on these settings - is certainly wierd.

I will check the model of switch in a minute (in loft and kids just gone to bed U-zzz) and post the details.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like you have the LNB inputs mixed up on the switch, when you installed it, did you mark the four cables with polarity and band?

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
Robbo - apologies you were right.

BBC1 - OK
BBC2 - no signal
ITV - OK
Channel 4 - no signal
Channel 5 - no signal
CBEEBIES - no signal

The switch is a Vision Multiswitch V5-512:

_http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/Vision_V5512_5x12_Multiswitch_78.php

I didn't do the install myself, but it is looking that the inputs are not connected properly?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Re-check the satellite feeds into the switch and make sure they tie up with the outputs on the LNb, job done although strange how your installer fitted a V5 switch as per your link rather than a standalone switch with PSU like the V75-512A????

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
SM - thanks I will check the connections - I assume a trial and error approach won't cause any problems?

Re: choice of switch - why would you consider the V5 a strange choice? Is there a disadvantage of using this switch? It might be something I'll take up with the installer (as well as the incorrect connections!)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are getting good signal and quality readings in the signal strength display, then you know that Vertical High is correct, so that only then leaves three to swap.:)

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
I have a 75% Signal Strength, but no reading of Quality at all!

Thanks for the tip though - I'll have a go with the connections tomorrow.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well you know at least one connection is good, as you can get some BBC channels, so whilst someone is watching one of those channels, disconnect one of the low band connections, if you lose the channel, then that connection is correct. You will then know that the other low band connection is wrong, so that can be removed, try it on the vertical high and if you get signal and quality readings, then that one is correct, you then only have to play with the remaining two.:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Fairly easy but if your not sure with the instructions above then trace the cables back; maybe differcult of course. I had this problem a few times with four runs of the same colour cable from a fixed o/p LNb. With the correct measuring equipment only two of the four cables actually need to be identifed, the other two can be worked out as said.

V5 single switch can be used with a seperate power supply but normally used as part of a line powered cascade system normally installed on larger set ups.

Good luck and let us know how you got on :)

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
OK - just spent the last hour trying to troubleshoot this with no success although I now think I know where the fault may lie.

When I disconnected the H.Lo this had no affect at all on the reception of the channels I can actually get. I thought that this might indicate that the Lo's were swapped round, so I tried this and lost all reception. I have then tried all possible combinations with no success ending back where I started, i.e. cables in original position with H.Lo disconnected. In this situation I can receive: BBC1, ITV, Sky One, but not BBC2, Channel 4, Channel 5 or Channel 998.

I think this shows that the H.Lo is the source of the problem, and that it might be at the connection with the LNB rather than the switch, or a problem with the LNB?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Check the F conections on the LNb and whilst there confirm it's a quattro type. You could also check and confirm each cable back to the switch with a continuaity mulitmeter one by one to ensure correct band. Might be best now that you have removed all feeds :)

idavies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
Vision 5/12 Switch
Quattro LNB
My Location
UK
Just an update and to close this thread, the problem was the LNB, in particular the H.Lo. When this was swapped out, everything worked fine. I cannot remember the brands, but the faulty LNB was Italian and we replaced this for a German made LNB. The installer told me that he has often had problem with the Italian made LNBs.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Nice to hear your up and running :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
idavies said:
the faulty LNB was Italian and we replaced this for a German made LNB. The installer told me that he has often had problem with the Italian made LNBs.
Makes you wonder why he still fits them. doesn't it!