Cannot scan horizontal transpoders

amirali_esh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have installed an eight-output lnb on a 1.2m dish which is pointed towards hotbird at 13 east. Currently I am using two of these outputs which one of them is connected to my receiver and the other one is connected to my
dvb card on my computer. However I have this problem that I can only scan vertical transpoders on either of these receiver and horizontal transpoders doesn't give any signal however If I turn on the other receiver then the horizontal transpoders can be scanned. I didn't have this problem with my previous dual output lnb. Could someone help me solve this problem please?

Thnks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you tried all of the outlets?
It shouldn't behave like that though, sounds like a defective LNB.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Never seen an 8-way, but maybe it's working more like a '2 x quattro' as opposed to a '2 x quad', if there is such a thing...?!?!

amirali_esh

Reaction score
Yes I have tried all the outlets. Actually I have three 8-output lnbs which I have tried all of them. I was thinking maybe the cable is too long which is causing signal loss but then again why it was working with my previous dual output lnb? I guess I have to take my receiver and tv set to the roof and try it there with a short cable.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
What is the make and model number of the LNB so we can try and check out its details?

amirali_esh

Reaction score
The lnb is made by EUROSTAR and the model is ESKD-OP8. This information is also written on the lnb :

Input freq : 10.7 - 12.75 GHZ
L.O. / Low : 9.75 GHZ
L.O. / High : 10.60 GHZ
Noise figure : .5 db

amirali_esh

Reaction score
No that's not my lnb, the one you mentioned is ESKD-QP4 however mine is
ESKD-OP8.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
can you get channels from both low and high band. In other words from accross the full frequency range?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How long is the cable run? It may be worthwhile checking the voltage at the LNB end of the cable, there may not be enough to facilitate switching to the horizontal.

I've only used a couple of Octo LNBs (Televes), but have found them to be very good

amirali_esh

Reaction score
The cable is about 50 meters (16 feet). I checked the voltages both at the receiver end and at the lnb end, both where the same and were :

Verical : 13.50 Volts
Horizontal : 18.50 Volts

I even tried an in-line amplifier but it didn't help.

amirali_esh

Reaction score
I took my receiver and a portable tv set to the roof and connected it to the lnb via a short cable, it was working perfect. So I assume my cable is too long and that is the problem so I am going to change my cable. My current cable is RG-6U, I did a research on the internet and found that RG-11A, RG-12A and RG-35A are low-loss cables. Now which one should I choose? Please give me your recommendations.

Thanks

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW England
I am using about 50 feet of CT125 (If my memory is right) It's a bit thick and stiff so I used CT100 from positioner to LNB

Tencon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+: Thomson 160 WITH Pace v2 on multiroom.
Panasonic DVD-RAM+40G HDD.
My Location
Coventry, England
amirali_esh said:
... I did a research on the internet and found that RG-11A, RG-12A and RG-35A are low-loss cables. Now which one should I choose? Please give me your recommendations.

Thanks
This isn't an advert!. Ihave been researching satellite installations to put my own installation in.
I found the following site to be most helpful: satcure.co.uk.
With them in mind, I looked for some help for you.

http://www.************.co.uk/satcure/cable.htm

Read it, it's very educational!

Good Luck :)

amirali_esh

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, however I managed to solve my problem by changing my cable with a low-loss RG6 cable.