cant get any western sats

fersy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m ? dish pole mounted in back garden, bigsat hh motor mount, 0.2db universal single lnb, technomate 1000c1, viaccess 2.5 cam, 1yr art subs card
My Location
n.ireland
hi ive been trying to get my system set up better than it is currently but after trying again for 5 hrs on sun i just cannot seem to get any of the sats to the west. i was getting thor 1w but now im not even getting that. i can find the eastern sats easily but for some reason the western ones are elluding me. i tried to set up on 5.0w which is atlantic bird i think but the best singnal quality i could manage was flickering between 20-40 i adjust for about 2 hours making minute adjustments but no matter what i did i just could not improve on that. i have tried a couple of the others nilesat eg. but i cannot get a satisfatory signal on any of them. i have a question that i was wondering as of all the stuuf ive read it never seems clear to me. if say for example im using 5.0w as the top of my arc should the motor be set at zero and the the mount and dish moved so that if found 5.0w would actually be at 0 on my motor or do i need to use the buttons to drive the motor to 5.0w and then move the mount and dish to find the signal so that the motor is at the 5.0w position when it is on the 5.0w sat and as i was trying to set up on 5.w with the motor in the 0 position would that make a difference to me not getting a good enough signal? what i mean is that if the motor is in the 5.0w pos the dish lnb etc is slightly scewed but if in the 0 position it is not does this matter?

i would be grateful for any help as this is driving me nuts now thanks:-doh!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Bit to hard to read your post (no paragraphs!) but when setting up your south (5W) satellite your motor should be at zero. Don't use the receiver to move it- move the whole pole/ mount/ dish by hand.

It does sound like your arc is wrong. Is your pole vertical in both planes?

Do you have line of site to the west?

fersy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m ? dish pole mounted in back garden, bigsat hh motor mount, 0.2db universal single lnb, technomate 1000c1, viaccess 2.5 cam, 1yr art subs card
My Location
n.ireland
thanks for the reply. in answer to your questions yes the pole is vertical in both planes and as for line of sight the only thing in that direction is the metal clothes line pole which comes out of the ground and is about 8ft away and 1 and a half inches thick. do you think that that could be affecting the signal to the west?

as for the arc i cannot set it up correct anyway as i cannot get a decent signal from any of the western sats my longitude is 6.03w so i would need to set the top of my arc as either 5.0w atlantic bird or 7.0w which is nilesat i think.
also my motor was set to 0 when i was trying to find 5.0w but i was just wondering if i had been doing it right but it seems i had so now im baffled again. im thinking of trying again tomorrow but the footys on so i will have to see if i have time before it starts.
here are a couple of pics of the dish position with relation to the clothes line also what seems weird to me is that the scale on the dish looks to be upside down

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What you should do, is set the USALS up in the Technomate with your correct latitude and longitude, then send the dish to 5W.

Once you've done that, check that the latitude on the motor body is correct and moving the whole assembly on the mast and the dish elevation only (not via the receiver or motor button), find 5W, it is a very strong signal and if you can borrow an analogue receiver, very easy to find.

Once you've found that, your arc should be correct.

fersy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
n.ireland
thanks for your response i will try in the morning