card or cam?

coloureye

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2Cm dish, Motorized, TM1500CI+,dragon cam,SS2....
My Location
North england
hello, sorry for this stupid question...
one of my friends just bought a LCD TV.
it is Free to view compatible,

and on the back there's a slot and said "common interface to connect cam and smartcard"

so is the viewing card and smartcard the same thing?
or he need a cam?

thnx

nix0

Reaction score
If it has a CI then you need a CAM into which you can insert your smartcard. The CAM is effectively a card reader. The T U T V viewing card is a smartcard (credit card size with embedded chip)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
The "common interface" standard is a single type of plug and socket system, which exists across all types of digital TV receivers, terrestrial and satellite.

What plugs directly into the socket is a Conditional Access Module, which contains the electronics for one particular encryption/decryption system, there are various different systems, and a few CAMs can be "re-programmed" for several systems.

The viewing card the goes into the cardslot, and contains the "keys" needed to make the CAM actually decrypt encoded tv signals, normally it will only operate if you've paid the channel broadcaster a subscription fee.

In an "integrated" digital tv, the only CAM currently used in UK is the Topup TV one, but there may be other types used in different European countries.

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
coloureye said:
hello, sorry for this stupid question...
one of my friends just bought a LCD TV.
it is Free to view compatible,

and on the back there's a slot and said "common interface to connect cam and smartcard"

so is the viewing card and smartcard the same thing?
or he need a cam?

thnx
Top-up TV Cam with a card sold at many electronic stores like Dixons, Currys, etc etc. Also they are available on eBay.