Carphone Warehouse buys AOL UK internet access

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Carphone Warehouse to acquire Time Warner's AOL Internet access business in the UK for £370 million

AOL to provide co-branded audience services and manage online advertising sales for combined customer base through a revenue-sharing agreement

Carphone Warehouse and Time Warner Inc. (NYSE: TWX) have reached agreement for Carphone Warehouse to acquire AOL's Internet access business in the UK for a cash consideration of £370m ($688m) funded via an extension of existing debt facilities. Completion is subject to EU competition authority clearance and is expected to take place by 31 December 2006.

Under the agreement, Carphone Warehouse will acquire AOL's Internet access
customer base in the UK as well as the supporting management and infrastructure (the "Access" business). For its part, AOL will provide co-branded portal, content and other audience services and will manage the online advertising sales for Carphone Warehouse's combined broadband customer base through a revenue-sharing agreement.

About AOL in the UK

AOL is one of the largest Internet service providers in the UK, with
approximately 2.1m ISP customers. On completion, it is anticipated that this
will comprise 1.5m broadband customers and 0.6m dial-up customers.

In the year to December 2005, the assets to be acquired generated revenues of £442.1m and an operating profit of £14.1m. Gross assets at December 2005 were £77.9m.

Rationale for the transaction

Since 2003, Carphone Warehouse has been building a significant presence in the UK residential telecoms market. Through organic growth and acquisition, it has grown to a base of 2.7m voice customers in under four years, giving it
approximately 11% of the residential calls market. In April 2006, Carphone
Warehouse launched a major new initiative, offering free broadband to its voice customers, and has attracted 625,000 applications for this service over the last six months.

The acquisition of the Access business will give Carphone Warehouse an enlarged broadband customer base of approximately 2m customers, making it the third largest broadband provider in the UK. Over time, the additional scale is likely to create significant operating efficiencies in relation to network
infrastructure and marketing costs.

In addition, the commercial agreement in relation to the Audience business
provides Carphone Warehouse with a ready-made platform via which it can generate material incremental value from its large and growing customer base. The management time and investment cost involved in replicating the Audience business model would be significant, so the structure of the deal allows Carphone Warehouse to accelerate its plans without the requirement to build further internal resource.

For Time Warner and AOL, this transaction marks an important step in positioning AOL's audience business to take further advantage of the rapid growth in online advertising - in keeping with AOL's overall worldwide strategy. In addition to exiting its Internet access businesses in Germany, France and the UK, AOL will now have a stronger platform for providing portal, content and other audience services, on a stand-alone as well as a co-branded basis, and managing online advertising sales.

Financial impact

The total cash consideration is £370m, of which £250m will be paid on completion and the balance paid in three instalments over the following 18 months. The consideration is being funded by an extension of existing bank facilities.

The transaction is due to complete by 31 December 2006 and is subject to EU
competition authority clearance. At this stage it is anticipated that the
acquisition will increase current year pre-tax profits by approximately £10m
(subject to completion by 31 December 2006), and next year's pre-tax profits by £30-40m.

Commenting on the acquisition, Charles Dunstone, CEO of Carphone Warehouse, said:

"The acquisition of AOL's UK Internet access business is transformational for
our broadband business. This deal gives us significant scale to complement the rapid organic growth of our free broadband proposition. In addition, the joint development of AOL's already successful audience platform will bring us new advertising and content revenues in a proven and low risk manner."

Dick Parsons, Chairman and CEO of Time Warner, said:

"This agreement completes the restructuring of our AOL Europe businesses that both advances AOL's strategic transition to an advertising-supported business model and underscores Time Warner's commitment to shaping its portfolio of assets to drive the greatest growth possible. On both fronts - as well as across our company - we're successfully building critical momentum to the benefit of our shareholders. As a leading provider of audience services in
Europe, AOL will be better positioned than ever to continue to grow a cohesive online advertising business across a region that's key to our future progress."

Jon Miller, Chairman and CEO of AOL LLC, said:

"For a decade, AOL has played an important part in the growth of the online
medium in the UK. Under the partnership announced today, AOL will expand the size of its audience in the UK as a Web-services business. This is an ideal outcome for AOL, for Time Warner, and the customers we serve."

RNS on Carphone Warehouse Website

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Makes sense...

Talk Talk broadband has generated more complaints than any other service.

AOL had one of the worse records in this department.

They're made for each other.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The fact that Vodaphone are withdrawing their product from Carphone warehouse, may well also have spurred this, as without one of the major airtime providers, they will surely struggle against some of the competition in their old core business.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
The fact that Vodaphone are withdrawing their product from Carphone warehouse

Orange are no threatening to do the same...

In favour on Phones4U

_http://business.scotsman.com/ebusiness.cfm?id=1517432006

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
The group is still having trouble coping with demand for its so-called "free" TalkTalk broadband offering. Losses on the "free" service will increase by £20m to £70m this year. Around 625,000 people have signed up for TalkTalk since it was launched in April, but 78,000 have since cancelled.

Source: The Scotsman