Central Portugal - Reception

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
Hi. I would be grateful if someone could advise me what size of dish I would need to have in central Portugal to pick up channels on 28.2E (Sky etc). At present I have an 85cm dish and would take it if I thought it might do the trick otherwise I will leave it here when I sell the house next year. Also can anyone tell me if there is a decent broadband service in that part of the world? We are looking to relocate to the Leiria/Tomar area. and would need broadband for our future business.
Thanx.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Lisbon - Porto / Leiria / Luz / Aveiro (From the BBC)
Receiver not given
1.6m dish
LNB 0.3dB
Posted 16-06-04
We are here for the footie and thought you might want some more Lisbon data? I have purchased 1.6m dishes with 0.3dB NF and have 99.9% coverage of BBC & ITV. 80kms North of Lisbon we have a 1.6m with 100% BBC & ITV but 98% Ch 4 & CH 5. We have a crew doing the matches ( again 1.6m) and so far 99.9% for BBC & ITV at Porto / Leiria / Luz / Aveiro.
BBC Crew covering Euro 2004 in Portugal!

for astra 2d reception reports check out www.astra2d.com but you will certainly need a dish over 1metre in size

taken from the reception reports

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also have a look at our own dish size survey, you can zoom in to Portugal and whilst many don't list what they can receive, there are enough who do to be of help. :)

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Hi Stephen W!

There are reports(even I have tested it here in Setubal), with 85cm dishes of receiving Astra2D beam with no break ups at nightfall. It all dependes on the sidelobes that are scattered over the Iberian Penninsula. Sice Leiria is further North from where I live, it can be receivable with your dish witout any problem. If of couse, Leiria is in a dead spot of the sidelobe, you can always upgrade to a 1,20m dish which you can find starting at 50 Euros price tag.

As for broadband in this part of the world, over 85% of Portugal is coverd with 2Mbps or above speed. Leiria/Tomar area is covered with 16Mbps in some parts of the city.

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
Thanx everybody for the quick responses - contributions are all very useful.