Channel 4 in Ireland

cerebro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Ireland
I know this is a topic often covered. I have asked on this forum about receiving Channel 4 in Ireland and been told by some respected members that it just is not possible using an Irish subscription card. Which I have accepted.

However when my system was being installed (on Tuesday last) the engineer who installed it told me that Channel 4 WAS available and that I had to put in codes which I would get from the "sky people". I still resume that this is incorrect. But I did ring the Sky helpdesk (more out or curiosity than anything else) and yes Sky informed me the I COULD receive Channel 4 and that i should purchase a Satellite magazine in my local newsagent to lookup the codes.

I still presume Sky are feeding me incorrect information considering that Ch4 is not free to view in the Republic of Ireland but I wanted to put this question out there...

Does anyone in Ireland with a standard ROI Sky dish, box and subscription have channel 4? If so can they let me know how please. Or if there is an easy work-around.

Thanks in advance!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
No def Ch4 not available in Ireland without sub Card. ITVs yes

cerebro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Ireland
thanks John, I guess this one's put to bed then!

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
C4 and Five only available with a one off £20 Freesat card. Was worth doing before ITV went FTA, but still not expensive as a one off payment. Depends when C4 go FTA. I haven't watched Five in the whole year I have the card.

cerebro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Ireland
Thanks for your response Butterbox

so, if i bought one of these cards I would just exchange cards when there was something on Channel 4 (or Five) I wanted to watch, yeah?

Are the cards easy to pick up?
Do they need to be activated beforehand?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
cerebro said:
so, if i bought one of these cards I would just exchange cards when there was something on Channel 4 (or Five) I wanted to watch, yeah?
Yes, exactly. There is a moment or two while the box reinitialises itself to the different card but that's all.

It's probably not wise to do this too often as the card contacts in the box aren't designed for frequent insertion and removal though.
cerebro said:
Are the cards easy to pick up?
New ones can be obtained from $ly if you have a UK address you can use. S/H ones are available from ebay but be careful, it's possible to buy ones which are stolen and then will be completely deactivated before too long.
cerebro said:
Do they need to be activated beforehand?
Only a brand new card, possibly,I haven't bought one so don't know presisely whether they are preactivated or not.

Once they are activated they might need refreshing if they are left out of the box for a month or more - leave the card in the box overnight to make sure it gets its "keep alive" signals.

cerebro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Ireland
thanks for your help!

My girlfriend lives in the UK (with a UK address obviously).
Does she just ring S*y asking for a FTV card?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ring Freesat from Sky. The number is on

h**p://www.freesatfromsky.com

cerebro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Ireland
ok, i just rang S*y and ordered the freesat card for 20 quid using my girlfriends address and my credit card.

they gave me a contract number saying I had to place the card in a set top box and ring and quote the contract number upon receiving the card and it would be then activated.

Can I get my GF to plave this in her Telewest box and activate it that way?
Any ideas?

rikksow

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Huge great Dish in Cyprus
My Location
Tomb Of the Kings
All you will need to do is put the card in your box & get your girlfriend to ring up with the details & they will send a signal. Don't think her telewest box will do it. Suggest she rings them from a mobile as well. This is how we do it here in Cyprus

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
I don't think it will work you will need a real SKY box ID, and for that you need a sky digibox, I have tried without the sky box - I managed to my card turned on using a boxid I managed to find on a site and got my card turned on but can't get any Chan 4 - 5 or anyothers using the card. . Looks like the very first time its used the card needs to be in SKy box.
If you have one lying around you should be fine.

I've tried following the threads using Newcamd and think I've done as said so I'm thinking that first time around it needs a real sky box.

z

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Stick it in your sky digibox and leave it there. Then get your girlfreind to ring, or use a mobile and talk in a high voice. Clothes pegs on your kn@ckers works for me.

I'm not even sure I had to ring up with mine (my card, not my kn@ckers)... I might be wrong, but I don't remember ringing... but then I'm old.