Channel 4 Ireland?

tube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motor dish dreambox HD
My Location
Malta
I believe channel 4 has turned up but breaking up in a strange way.
12480V, 27500 DVB-S QPSK FEC 2/3

Although getting an SNR of 41-43% ( normally requiring 25-26% to get a good picture) With db rate of around 6.5db (where 4.5db is normally required).

The picture and sound is continually breaking up strangely and the sound too making it unwatchable.

Has anyone any thoughts?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Is E4 the same ?

davidcmadrid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
40cm offset 19e, 1.5m 28e 1.2 M motor vu+
My Location
Madrid Spain
DVB-S QPSK FEC 2/3 . Im not " up " on all of this , but found out that differing encoding / FEC types have differing min SNRs to be watcheable. Thats one thing that comes to mind , the other is BADR at 26e which i understand is causing people in fringe areas ( especially in the south ) no end of problems . BADR has an active TP on 12476 V. What size dish are you using ? While a smaller dish may not be needed to catch 28.2e it might be needed to tune " out " badr. If its not either of those two things somebody else might have something for you.

tube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motor dish dreambox HD
My Location
Malta
Hi, Thanks for you replies. I did figure it out this morning (always seems to happen when I post a question) DECT phone was the problems.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ha!

We all should have thought of that .................. 12480 should prompt the suggestion.

Glad you have resolved it.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Tivù said:
Ha!

We all should have thought of that .................. 12480 should prompt the suggestion.
Because the LNB will convert a frequency that high into something like 1900MHz which falls into the band likely to be used by a DECT phone?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
hairybadger said:
Because the LNB will convert a frequency that high into something like 1900MHz which falls into the band likely to be used by a DECT phone?

That's about it.

DECT operates around 1880 MHz, so where there is lack of immunity (flaws in cable screening due to joints, poor quality faceplates etc) then:

9750 + 1880 = 11630

&

10600 + 1880 = 12480

are vulnerable.

Obviously this isn't exact and definitive as it depends upon the precise frequency of the emitter, but you get the general idea.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Tivù said:
That's about it.

DECT operates around 1880 MHz, so where there is lack of immunity (flaws in cable screening due to joints, poor quality faceplates etc) then:
<snip>
If only it were that easy to work out why my wireless router gives me half the speed with 802.11n than it does with 802.11g, even with all phones, TVs etc in the house switched off and with no neighbouring interfering networks :)

tube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motor dish dreambox HD
My Location
Malta
I have noticed that and most days, when I unplug my DECT phone the picure is fine. However some days there is still inteference when the phone is unplugged. Any suggestions what else may intefere that i may be able to control (other than a neighbours phone)?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I suppose it depends upon exactly what you mean by "unplugging".

You need to remove power from the base and possibly also move handsets further away.

But why don't you tackle the lack of immunity, rather than the emitter?

DECT (and other CE Approved Emitters) only have an adverse effect by exploiting weakness - eg poor quality screening of cabling, joints in said cable, and Wallplates in particular.

tube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motor dish dreambox HD
My Location
Malta
Well unplugging and moving the phone set a decent distance had no effect. As for tackling the immunity, the problem is a bit of laziness (the wires are all hidden behind a wall unit attahced to the wall which needs to comedown in pieces) but mostly a lack of knowledge, I have no idea how to protect against the weakness or where to start looking for the weakness. I will have to do a great deal of research. Just one question if the problem is due to lack of protection in the wall there is very little i can do right?

Oh and thanks for your response

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Difficult to say without a few pictures.

But if the cables terminate in a standard quality wallplate, it should be relatively easy to substitute it with a good quality one that maintains screening throughout.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
We had this problem a couple of years ago on frequency 11.640 V which used to be True Movies and some others. I found out by trial and error that it was caused by cordless phones and then I remember Sky had an advertising campaign telling people to move their phones at least 2 metres away or out of the room. Then I think they switched off that frequency and we lost True Movies here. The CH4 problem on 12.480V is the same over here but I haven't heard of this being reported in the UK.

tube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motor dish dreambox HD
My Location
Malta
very quick experimenting - placed a tea-towel over the wire at the back of the Sat box which (maybe) interstingly stopped the inteference when the phone was unplugged but not when the phone was plugged in.

geoffrey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4M ChannelMaster Offset with Smart Titanium TQS LNB. LG SMART TV with SuperTrack V-Box 2 on ChannelMaster 1.2M Offset. TBS5925 tuner with EBSPro on Windows 10 laptop. Satlook Digital NIT.
My Location
Israel
tube said:
I believe channel 4 has turned up but breaking up in a strange way.
12480V, 27500 DVB-S QPSK FEC 2/3

Although getting an SNR of 41-43% ( normally requiring 25-26% to get a good picture) With db rate of around 6.5db (where 4.5db is normally required).

The picture and sound is continually breaking up strangely and the sound too making it unwatchable.

Has anyone any thoughts?
Same here in Israel - as well as for E4. Its a bit early in the day to be sure but hopefully by evening things will improve.

ADDED LATER
Unfortunately by 6pm C4 etc have gone as has SkyNews HD which was OK for most of the day.

AND LATER
8pm - C4 and Sky News HD are returning - now just at threshold.

From 9pm - perfect - C4 and E4 - as well as Sky News HD

This is like Astra 2A North Beam performance - is 12480V now on 2AN - its still shown as such on Lynsat ?