Channel 5 in tenerife?

makum101

Regular Member
Messages
101
Likes
0
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
#1
I live in Torviscas Alto in Tenerife and have just had a site survey for a 3.2M prime focus dish installation for Astra (Sky). We currently have a 90 cm which picks up all of the south beam and Eurbird Europe.

The installers told me that it will pick up BBC and ITV, C4 but NOT E4 or Channel 5!

Does anyone have a dish in Tenerife that picks up C5 / E4?

Or...

Can anyone qualify this and tell me why it wont get C5 when it gets other North beam / Astra D signals?

in hope
Makum
 

BLUEPLATINUM

Specialist Contributor
Messages
951
Likes
102
Location
Maspalomas, Gran Canaria
My Satellite Setup
ITSarria LTE Internet, 2 X SKY HD, Invacom C120 quad LNB, Raven 2.4m offset dish, TDT (Spanish freeview)
My Location
Maspalomas, Gran Canaria
#2
makum101 said:
Does anyone have a dish in Tenerife that picks up C5 / E4?

Or...

Can anyone qualify this and tell me why it wont get C5 when it gets other North beam / Astra D signals?
No one here in Gran Canaria can get five either. I have a 2.4m Channel Master dish and sensitive LNB/receiver, and I don't understand what dictates which channels we get and which we don't!
 

powel000

Regular Member
Messages
238
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
#3
thats unusual, I can pickup channel 5 in Amman-Jordan with a 1.80m Offset for few hours. Forget channel 4 and E4 for me. Thats wiered.
 

makum101

Regular Member
Messages
101
Likes
0
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
#4
BLUEPLATINUM said:
No one here in Gran Canaria can get five either. I have a 2.4m Channel Master dish and sensitive LNB/receiver, and I don't understand what dictates which channels we get and which we don't!
Sorry to be a bore but can I ask what others are missing (Don't bother listing the shopping crap or the god /dating Channels). Would help me decide weather its going to be worth the €2500 cost.

I am hoping for Eurosport 1 & 2, E4 (or E4+1), SKY Sports extra, and the ability to watch "Football first" Eg select a different match from default, all the BBC's , ITV 2 & 3, UK TV People and (sad I know) I want my epg music back too!

In hope

Makum
 
Messages
97
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
3.0 m OffSet dish - Astra II
1.2 m Offset dish - Astra & Hot Bird
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
Tenerife - Canary Islands
#5
you will ned a minimun of 4.5 meter dish to get CH5 !!!

The 3.10 PRIME FOCUS (not 3.20) will allow you to get BBC + ITV...and 85% of CH4.....

E4 is also not posible (only using some tricks) ........ Vertical transponders are very dificult to get in tenerife (In lanzarote you can get CH4 whit just a 1.35 m dish.....maybe less)

think in 3.0 OFF SET Dish....they work great in Tenerife
 

makum101

Regular Member
Messages
101
Likes
0
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
#6
Enoc are you based on the Island? You seem to know your onions.

3.0 Off set? Do you know any suppliers on Tenerife? Most advertise 2.4 off set, or 3.1 prime focus.

Also What about ITV 2 & 3?

E4 Tricks?????
 

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Messages
646
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
#7
I can get channel 5 2pm while 9pm here in spain with 120cm offset dish.
 

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Messages
1,588
Likes
1
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
#8
You are quite far north Alex, in the south of the mainland a 1.2m will struggle for C5 (but will be OK for BBC/ITV), by Tenerife some of the monster size dishes described above are needed for 2B North beam and 2D.
 
Messages
97
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
3.0 m OffSet dish - Astra II
1.2 m Offset dish - Astra & Hot Bird
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
Tenerife - Canary Islands
#9
makum101 said:
Enoc are you based on the Island? You seem to know your onions.

3.0 Off set? Do you know any suppliers on Tenerife? Most advertise 2.4 off set, or 3.1 prime focus.

Also What about ITV 2 & 3?

E4 Tricks?????
hi..
Yes, i am living in south tenerife....

About e4; you can read some post in this forum....... example;
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=46623


ITV2 & 3 the same...you need minimun 3.50 /4.20 meters

Pm send about the suppliers....anyway, you can listent the advert in powerFm radio (91.4 / 91.9 )

Enjoy the weekend.
 

BLUEPLATINUM

Specialist Contributor
Messages
951
Likes
102
Location
Maspalomas, Gran Canaria
My Satellite Setup
ITSarria LTE Internet, 2 X SKY HD, Invacom C120 quad LNB, Raven 2.4m offset dish, TDT (Spanish freeview)
My Location
Maspalomas, Gran Canaria
#10
makum101 said:
Sorry to be a bore but can I ask what others are missing
I'll try to find time to compile a list and post on this thread ASAP.
 

trigger

Specialist Contributor
Messages
676
Likes
50
Location
Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote
My Satellite Setup
30W, 27.5W, 7W, 0.1W
4.8E, 9E, 13E, 19E, 23.5E, 26E, 28E
Technomate 5402HD super
Bein Sports on 25.5E
FTE Mini S2T HD Analyser
Horizon HD S2 sat meter
My Location
Lanzarote, Canary Islands
#11
makum101 said:
Sorry to be a bore but can I ask what others are missing (Don't bother listing the shopping crap or the god /dating Channels). Would help me decide weather its going to be worth the €2500 cost.

I am hoping for Eurosport 1 & 2, E4 (or E4+1), SKY Sports extra, and the ability to watch "Football first" Eg select a different match from default, all the BBC's , ITV 2 & 3, UK TV People and (sad I know) I want my epg music back too!

In hope

Makum

Ask your installer to tell you exactly what satellites you will recieve and if you will get Horiz or Vert.
In Lanzarote with a 3.1 Prime focus you get

2D Horizontal Only
2A North and south H + V
Eurobird S1 Fixed Beam H + V
2B South H + V

2D Vertical - No
2B North - No
Eurobird S1 Beam - No

In summary BBC 1,2, ITV, Eurosport Yes - Football first, E4, ITV2, 3 No

Then Check out http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html and http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk_chno.html and you can compare what you will receive.

Notes on the dishes. The 3.1M Prime focus will probably have more surface area than the 3M offset (as they usually are 3M tall but only 2.7 Wide). The LNB support etc on the 3.1M do block some signal but the additional size more than makes up for this. The offset ones I have worked with are better in the wind as they are fibreglass and very rigid. The Prime focus (I'm assuming aluminium) are not so good in the wind but if they are lashed down with steel wire correctly they are almost as good. Some of the offset also reflect heat at the LNB which can cause problems (looks like someone has taken a blowtorch to the LN:cool:.
Overall I prefer the Prime focus but ask locally for feedback!

Hope this helps

Triggs
 

makum101

Regular Member
Messages
101
Likes
0
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
#12
Hi Guys, Many thanks for the help and advice.


My 3.1M prime aluminium dish is now fitted on my little roof. A welded mast was bolted to my roof then a foot of cement poured over it and cased in with wood while it set. The mast is not a snug fit to the dish cowling (mast 90mil dish cowling 100mil) so they pack it out with steel. Seems a bit heath robinson to me!

The technician came out during the evening to align the dish (as evening gives the weakest signal) and could not get anything more than my old 90cm dish got (south beam and a bit of Eurobird). After 3 hours of head scratching and dish bending they decided the petals had not been screwed on right. It was now after 10:30pm!

Next day at 5pm they returned and undid all the petals then reseated them correctly. By 6pm they had a signal for C4 and BBC etc. They then set about running my cables which took another hour before connecting the dish to my plus box.

However on turning the TV on, the signal was no longer present. This prompted more technicians to arrive and stroke their beards, sit on the dish to make it work but to no avail. All they got on their digital signal meter screen was 2 red bars (on and off) and nearly 80 DB's (or whatever there called) on their signal strength meter screen. After repeatedly saying "I cant understand it, 80DB is more than enough, why is the digital signal not present?" for an hour they announced that the dish needed to be elevated up its mast 3 inches and that would pull the signal in. It was now nearly 11PM

So tonight they are coming back and welding more mast on to the existing mast thus raising the dish 3 inches. However I don't have high hopes :-(

During the day the BBC etc work, but by 6pm I get no digital signal. Raising the dish will be yet another night of a gaggle of men plus welding gear on my roof.

To say this has traumatised me is an understatement. Mrs Makum on the other hand is on the brink of a nervous breakdown!

I'm not happy at all, I sincerely believe this has been a mistake and wish I'd never started :-(
 

dxsat

Specialist Contributor
Messages
745
Likes
70
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
#13
Have to express sympathy for the distress you are suffering, and it must have been expensive, too.
Do you know what make of dish and LNB (and type) they have fitted? Are they raising it on the mast to see over trees or adjacent buildings? That's the only reason I can think of. Could you take some photos and post them here? It might help forum members to offer help.
 

makum101

Regular Member
Messages
101
Likes
0
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
#14
Hi thanks for the reply.

They tried a different LNB to no avail. The dish points up a hillside to the back of my house. They think it may be obscured by it a bit. However they said that seeing as my little 90cm offset works so should the 3.1m dish.

I'll take some pics this weekend, but i really think I'm going to tell them to take it down and put my old 90cm back.

Enough is enough.
 

max.max

Regular Member
Messages
34
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
1 fixed dish 90cm invacom0.3 dual 13°E -
1 fixed dish 130cm cambridge lnb 0.6 28°E -
1 panasonic 30 and 1 amstrad sky digiboxes - 1 echostar 808ci viaccess - dragon, joker, CAS 3 I/F
My Location
rome, italy
#15
makum101 said:
................ Enough is enough.
I do, and I think a lot of people on this forum do as well, understand your frustration. I dropped the idea of a monster dish long time ago. I don't want to go through the real pain of having major works done on my terrace without being sure of the outcome, so I opted to keep as many channels as I can with the same dish (130cm offest) just changing the receiver because I had (and still have if I use it) huge reception problems with the sly digi box lately (in the past couple of years): no signal, hw freeze every time a cloud shows up in the sky. There has been a lot of discussions on this forum about the possible reasons for such a crappy signal in the past couple of years at fringe reception areas, but we've got to leave with it. At least now i can get most of 2a and b and eurobird channels by using a normal receiver with a dragon cam (the hell with the digibox!).

Anyway I am starting to appreciate BBC prime on Hot Bird (better than nothing, it's still on viac****s1 or it also comes within the basic sky italy package) and, as far as E4 is concerned, I get it from 11565V (irish)

I still hope in astra1c expected move next year and in BBC hdtv programmes.
Let's wait and see.
 
Messages
6
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Pace DS430n
OS version 1.2S4F9
EPG SW version 3.3a.6
Freesat + NASN
85cm dish motorized
My Location
Rome, Italy
#16
Sorry for intruding into this post.
Max.max, I see you are in Rome like me and have a pretty big dish. Are you able to pick up the default transponder 11778V with your 130cm dish? I'm getting desperate in trying to activate my card and one of the suggested causes was that I cannot receive the signal from 11778V. If you do, then I will have to upgrade my 85cm.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the same questions is "Do you hear sound on the EPG?".

I would have sent you a PM or email but it is not enabled. As our friend makum101, I wouldn't want to spend money upgrading my system if it is worthless.

Thank you.
 
Messages
97
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
3.0 m OffSet dish - Astra II
1.2 m Offset dish - Astra & Hot Bird
0.60 mts Hispasat
0.60 mts Nilesat

Box Kaon 570 & Pace 2600
My Location
Tenerife - Canary Islands
#17
makum101 said:
Enough is enough.
Really Sad to read this.... sounds to me as MillerRental staff.. its that correct?

hope they will fix everything for you....

In the other hand the 3.10 dish is a "little" complicate to install, the petals must to be installed 101% correctly....if not, you just will have a 2.40 prime focus dish.

Anyway...wish you the best.

Reguards

PM...do not forget the words from "trigger"..... "The Prime focus ..... are not so good in the wind but if they are lashed down with steel wire correctly they are almost as good."... winter is comming!!
 

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Messages
4,305
Likes
5
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
#18

makum101

Regular Member
Messages
101
Likes
0
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
#19
Dsih Installation Update..

Enoc you were right about the supplier, it was who you stated.

The guys came back last night and welded more mast on to raise the dish another 4 inches. They then twiddled every nut and bolt on the thing for three hours. Finally at 11:15pm the had got all the correct channels.

However this morning Sky Movies 4 has frozen as has Eurosport and the Irish E4 is gone again!

I am now waiting to see what this evening brings.
 
Messages
5
Likes
0
#20
Hi interesting thread all this as I am moving out to Malaga shortly. Am thinking of taking my equipment from here 1.6M Motors etc... Could you give ,me a rough idea of the cost of a the large dish and stuff as it may not be worth me shipping!

Thanks


makum101 said:
Hi Guys, Many thanks for the help and advice.


My 3.1M prime aluminium dish is now fitted on my little roof. A welded mast was bolted to my roof then a foot of cement poured over it and cased in with wood while it set. The mast is not a snug fit to the dish cowling (mast 90mil dish cowling 100mil) so they pack it out with steel. Seems a bit heath robinson to me!

The technician came out during the evening to align the dish (as evening gives the weakest signal) and could not get anything more than my old 90cm dish got (south beam and a bit of Eurobird). After 3 hours of head scratching and dish bending they decided the petals had not been screwed on right. It was now after 10:30pm!

Next day at 5pm they returned and undid all the petals then reseated them correctly. By 6pm they had a signal for C4 and BBC etc. They then set about running my cables which took another hour before connecting the dish to my plus box.

However on turning the TV on, the signal was no longer present. This prompted more technicians to arrive and stroke their beards, sit on the dish to make it work but to no avail. All they got on their digital signal meter screen was 2 red bars (on and off) and nearly 80 DB's (or whatever there called) on their signal strength meter screen. After repeatedly saying "I cant understand it, 80DB is more than enough, why is the digital signal not present?" for an hour they announced that the dish needed to be elevated up its mast 3 inches and that would pull the signal in. It was now nearly 11PM

So tonight they are coming back and welding more mast on to the existing mast thus raising the dish 3 inches. However I don't have high hopes :-(

During the day the BBC etc work, but by 6pm I get no digital signal. Raising the dish will be yet another night of a gaggle of men plus welding gear on my roof.

To say this has traumatised me is an understatement. Mrs Makum on the other hand is on the brink of a nervous breakdown!

I'm not happy at all, I sincerely believe this has been a mistake and wish I'd never started :-(
 
Top