Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
Atlanta ASF304+ Sat-Finder,
4:2:2 VLC / Ubuntu,
53E to 45W
My Location
51.8ºN, 0.0ºW East Hertfordshire
I've had my VU+ Duo since April 2012. Last week the remote control failed.

Also changing channels with the jog wheel is very erratic.

I can change channels using Ethernet and web interface.

I've looked at all the pcbs , front panel, main and PSU and can't see any vented caps.

Any ideas ? I'm using standard Vu image ( Feb 2012 ).

Thanks.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Try flashing a newer version, of the image. I remember someone else, experiencing a similar problem, which ended up being the image being corrupted, flashing a new image worked, but they were using Vix and changed to Black Hole.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Could be the remote itself that's knackered - batteries? Also the IR sensor in the receiver can go faulty, so another thing to check.

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro Penta 85 Brick Red Aluminium Dish,
Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 dB Single Output LNB,
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
Could be the remote itself that's knackered - batteries? Also the IR sensor in the receiver can go faulty, so another thing to check.

If it was just the RC why would the jog channel change be erratic ?

I've changed the batteries.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
If it was just the RC why would the jog channel change be erratic ?
Sorry, missed that bit... Not sure... I would try what Mickha suggested.

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
Sorry, missed that bit... Not sure... I would try what Mickha suggested.

I've re flashed with Feb 2012 Vu+ image. Problem still remains... and now I can't run set-up properly.

I can telnet and ftp in. Is there a way to set up the tuner via telnet/ftp ?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
If you made a settings backup, you can restore the files via ftp

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Is this the official VU+ image, from the vuplus website?
Why did you choose a 2012 image? Is your receiver a clone?
It sounds like this might be a hardware fault, if you can't access the menu, using your remote control. Do the buttons, on your receiver, work?

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
If you made a settings backup, you can restore the files via ftp

I did copy over the 'settings' file but I don't seem to be able to get the web interface up on my laptop though it has restored my skin to SD mode. If I got enable DHCP I could then use the web remote. I can't remember whether the web interface is built in or was a plug-in.

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
Is this the official VU+ image, from the vuplus website?
Why did you choose a 2012 image? Is your receiver a clone?
It sounds like this might be a hardware fault, if you can't access the menu, using your remote control. Do the buttons, on your receiver, work?

I chose the 2012 image as that was the one I'd been using for 2 1/2 years and had been working fine.

As far as I know this is a genuine Vu+ Duo as I bought from sponsors " World of Satellite" .

The only button on the receiver is the jog dial and that isn't working properly.
I wonder how much a front panel pcb would cost ? I'm very disappointed that its broken down so soon. ( and at Christmas ). Not sure I'd get another Vu+ product.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
World of Satellite has a very good reputation so your receiver is probably genuine.

From what I've read, the VU+ receivers, especially the older models, had a very good reputation, for build quality, apart from a capacitor problem, in some of the receivers, which was a cheap fix, a few pence. but not the problem you're experiencing. Unfortunately I'm not sure they even make the VU+ duo any more, it seems to have been replaced by newer models.

VU+ update their software/firmware, quite regularly but most owners use other images, I use Black Hole.

Have you tried disconnecting everything, from the VU+ Duo, including the co-ax cable, any USB devices, and internal hard drive,to check if it is an external connection causing the problem?

I doubt it could be due to exterior interference as the jog/shuttle dial should still work, unless this is a software problem. Did you ever try usinng the jog/shuttle, prior to the remote control not working?

It might cost more to get repaired than the cost of a new receiver, given that you can pick up a single tuner satellite receiver quite cheaply, like the openbox.

Are you using both tuners, on the Duo?

How have you got your VU+ connected to your television? Try a scart lead, but not a fully wired one.

Have you tried the VU+ Control Centre, from your PC, this has numerous options including a remote control, you can use from your PC.

Last edited:

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
World of Satellite has a very good reputation so your receiver is probably genuine.

From what I've read, the VU+ receivers, especially the older models, had a very good reputation, for build quality, apart from a capacitor problem, in some of the receivers, which was a cheap fix, a few pence. but not the problem you're experiencing. Unfortunately I'm not sure they even make the VU+ duo any more, it seems to have been replaced by newer models.

VU+ update their software/firmware, quite regularly but most owners use other images, I use Black Hole.

Have you tried disconnecting everything, from the VU+ Duo, including the co-ax cable, any USB devices, and internal hard drive,to check if it is an external connection causing the problem?

I doubt it could be due to exterior interference as the jog/shuttle dial should still work, unless this is a software problem. Did you ever try usinng the jog/shuttle, prior to the remote control not working?

It might cost more to get repaired than the cost of a new receiver, given that you can pick up a single tuner satellite receiver quite cheaply, like the openbox.

Are you using both tuners, on the Duo?

How have you got your VU+ connected to your television? Try a scart lead, but not a fully wired one.

Have you tried the VU+ Control Centre, from your PC, this has numerous options including a remote control, you can use from your PC.

Thanks for the info Mickha,

I've only got 1 LNB. I've tried disconnecting everything. Still got problem. I've always used the scart connector. Just downloaded the VU+ control centre ver 0.5. Can login to machine but don't see a remote control on it.
WebControl says unable to connect.

The jog failed the same time as the remote which makes me think its the front panel pcb.

I just need to get back to setup some how as the tuner is not set up.

Is the web interface built in or does it have to be added ?

Last edited:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I'm using VU+ CC version 8.
When I log into webControl I get asked for username, which is root, and password, which is left blank, this connects to OpenWebif, and on the left is a remote control symbol.
Can you try the HDMI connection, just to check if the problem is your television scart?

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
I'm using VU+ CC version 8.
When I log into webControl I get asked for username, which is root, and password, which is left blank, this connects to OpenWebif, and on the left is a remote control symbol.
Can you try the HDMI connection, just to check if the problem is your television scart?

I can't test HDMI. I'm sure the tv is ok as I see loading on the screen and unused satellite channels. But as I can't setup the tuner I'm not going to get any satellite channels.

I just need a way of setting up the tuner via telnet/ftp. I think the web interface is missing a plug-in of some sort.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Fully wired scart leads can cause a problem, with some televisions, as they send information in both directions.
Have you tried it on a different television, or at least with a different scart lead?
Perhaps you need to load the latest version, of the vuplus software, or try an image, like Vix, to get the OpenWebif working.

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
Fully wired scart leads can cause a problem, with some televisions, as they send information in both directions.
Have you tried it on a different television, or at least with a different scart lead?
Perhaps you need to load the latest version, of the vuplus software, or try an image, like Vix, to get the OpenWebif working.

By ftp I've loaded my old lamedb into /etc/enigma2/ and got all my channels back!

The scroll wheel although erratic I've been at least able to scroll through all 150 channels on single satellite.

I don't want to change image. Would still like to get my old Dreambox WebControl working.

I'm sure I'm just missing some sort of ipk plugin or need a way of enabling web interface without a remote control.

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
Just discovered by pointing my mobile phone camera at the end of the remote, I can see that it is transmitting all the time without me touching buttons. Buttons turn off the IR led except the OK button. Removing and re-inserting batteries doesn't help. Investigating further...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dismantle the Remote Telecommander and clean the Keypads with Surgical Spirit (Or Jif!).

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Just discovered by pointing my mobile phone camera at the end of the remote, I can see that it is transmitting all the time without me touching buttons. Buttons turn off the IR led except the OK button. Removing and re-inserting batteries doesn't help. Investigating further...
That explains the problem, I had a remote act up like that and as Tivu said taking it apart, and gently cleaning it, solved the problem.
At least now you know the problem you can remove the batteries and use the jog/shuttle option.

N1501

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-2600 Super H-H Motor,
Vu+ Duo DVB-S2 receiver,
Stock Vu+ image V7,
Labgear PF100 cable,
53E to 45W
My Location
Dismantle the Remote Telecommander and clean the Keypads with Surgical Spirit (Or Jif!).

Took remote apart and cleaned with Circuit board cleaner. Then re-soldered all joints. Seemed to be "OK" button sticking. Seems to be working now. Downloaded webinterface plug-in and can now see everything remotely using iDreamX from my Asus "MacBook" laptop.

Thanks guys for all your help.