Channel Master 1.8m with new Feedhorn WORSE!

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 gilbertini with VU+ Solo2. 60cm with Spanish TDT from satellite.. and channel master 1.0m for 27.5 hopefully..LOL
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
I have just installed a new channel master 1.8m dish. Previously a 1.2m but we lost all the 5's channels and 4HD / seven4.. when i in stalled it first off i got the 5's back but on the cuff. with 75% Signal and 50% quality on Astra 2A. We have started loosing them at different times off the day as we used to 5 or 6 years ago. Anyway i decided i would upgrade the Quad Invacom Universal and invest in a Channel master feedhorn hoping that this wou pull in a little more signal. Which is what you expect wouldn't you? Well after fitting i now have slight less than i did before. I Install dishes and i didn't see this coming there is no improvement at all if anything a slight loss and worse picture. This with setting up with my Horizon USB + Meter. With this feedhorn you dont have any movement to adjust the focal length as it is set. which i suppose is what you would expect as it is the feedhorn for this dish. but no amount of adjustment on Skew etc with change it..
I have spoken with the supplier and they are going to send me another new LNB stating it may be a low output on the LNB. I hope so i have ordered a Inverto as well to try them out side by side. But thought i would ask if anyone has any ideas as to what else i could try or as why this is happening? The 4HD i cannot get and seven4 either....
Thanks for any help guys...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Are you sure that you've been given the correct feed horn? Not a PF one by any chance?

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 gilbertini with VU+ Solo2. 60cm with Spanish TDT from satellite.. and channel master 1.0m for 27.5 hopefully..LOL
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
PaulR said:
Are you sure that you've been given the correct feed horn? Not a PF one by any chance?
PF?? OH ! Sorry i just clicked prime focus. No its deffinatly offset i just checked the prime has the yellow centre in ti. I am pretty sure it is a channel master/Raven feedhorn offset according to all pictures i have seen. And it was ordered from Satelitte supermarket as the feed horn for this dish....

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
could you show some pictures of your installation?

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
Sure everthing is bang on i install here in Spain but this is first channel master and feed horn.DSCF2766 (Medium).JPGDSCF2765 (Medium).JPGDSCF2764 (Medium).JPGDSCF2736 (Medium).JPG

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Doesn't look anything wrong to my (inexpert!) eye. If you still have the LNB off the 1.2 try fitting that to check signals. What was fitted to the 1.2 BTW?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Looks great, I like this size of antennas! Fly is sitting on LNB (first picture), maybe this is real problem? :-biglaugh

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Another thought - maybe 1.8 still isn't big enough. It is known that the south of Spain is in a deep black hole for 2F signals. Basically the closer to Gibraltar you are, the worse it is.

So, where are you?

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
The problem i am having is that the signal i am getting now is worse then before on my 1.8m dish. Before with the Universal quad Invercom LNB I was getting 75% signal and 50% quality now with the matched Feed horn and C120 Twin Invercom LNB i am struggling to get it to that Which to my mind something is wrong if a universal LNB is better than the Matched feed horn and same make LNB..
As for wether the dish is big enough is a wait and see till they finish up messing around with it. I have had all my channels back for a time.. I am in the province of Jaen Near a town called Martos.
Looks like i will have to wait for new LNB to turn up and then try again. And then with the Inverto as well...
One other point if anyone has fitted one of these Feedhorns there is no adjustment for the focus as everything drops into grooves and therefore locks all together. Only adjustment is SKEW. But the tch where i have bought is saying yes you can adjust it. Well i can't see how..Anyone else had any experiance with these Feedhorn's
It was difficult taking pictures so people could see it clearly as the SUN is a problem :-bighappy

davidcmadrid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
40cm offset 19e, 1.5m 28e 1.2 M motor vu+
My Location
Madrid Spain
radicaldoc can you confirm that with the Universal quad Invercom LNB and 1.8m dish you were recieving Astra 2F. Can you confirm that with the 1.2m dish and Universal quad Invercom LNB you were getting unreliable reception ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
...and a nice dish too. Could be a possible LNb fault. See what the results are once you have replaced it. Maybe worth posting some measurements from your meter.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I've used the CM feed with worse results than a Black Ultra. SNR was more than 0.5dB worse. Always use a Black Ultra on those dishes now.

Please can you confirm Channel 5 reception with this dish since Christmas even if it is sporadic?

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
davidcmadrid said:
radicaldoc can you confirm that with the Universal quad Invercom LNB and 1.8m dish you were recieving Astra 2F. Can you confirm that with the 1.2m dish and Universal quad Invercom LNB you were getting unreliable reception ?
Yes the 1.2 was no use at all after change over..That was the reason for the change of dish size. And yes I did get all channels back with the new dish Although not solid which was the reason for the new Feed horn.

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
Huevos said:
I've used the CM feed with worse results than a Black Ultra. SNR was more than 0.5dB worse. Always use a Black Ultra on those dishes now.

Please can you confirm Channel 5 reception with this dish since Christmas even if it is sporadic?
Yes i can confirm that at times solid as a rock other time pixeling when we first moved here over 6 years ago we used to loose channels at night.We apear to be back like that now but weirdly at different times of the day.....

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
satelliteman said:
...and a nice dish too. Could be a possible LNb fault. See what the results are once you have replaced it. Maybe worth posting some measurements from your meter.
I will possibly tomorrow.The figures arn't high . I am tuning to Astra 2A. The Dish Quality is excellent and mount a pleasure to work with. the nicest i have set up.and eventhough i have Installed quite a few dishes including bigish motorised the mount on this was a bit of a shock 41/2" tube the jump from the 1.2m to the 1.8m was enormous.DSCF2712 (Medium).JPGDSCF2711 (Medium).JPG

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
PaulR said:
Doesn't look anything wrong to my (inexpert!) eye. If you still have the LNB off the 1.2 try fitting that to check signals. What was fitted to the 1.2 BTW?
the Invercom Quad was on my 1.2m and a Smart Titanium universal LNB...I got good results from the later untill 2F showed up

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
radicaldoc said:
Yes the 1.2 was no use at all after change over..That was the reason for the change of dish size. And yes I did get all channels back with the new dish Although not solid which was the reason for the new Feed horn.
This report about your 1.8m is very interesting as its the first sort of positive report from your area, and may indicate a starting point for folk in your immediate area.

However as reception is / was currently erratic Im going to have to put you down as an "unsuccessful" report on the map.

Please note there are many reports from around Europe that the 2F signals have weakened appreciably the last couple of days. For what reason we have no idea.

radicaldoc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Horizon USB Plus
My Location
Nr Martos, Jaen. Spain..
Analoguesat said:
This reporta bout you 1.8m is very interesting as its the first sort of positive report from your area, and may indicate a starting point for folk in your immediate area.

However as reception is / was currently erratic Im going to have to put you down as an "unsuccessful" report on the map.

Please note there are many reports from around Europe that the 2F signals have weakened appreciably the last couple of days. For what reason we have no idea.
I have noticed this but as i said its a little weird like tonight a 7 oclock our time CH4 HD and seven4 returned rock solid and all 5 channels so something is changing Somewhere and we have clear sky..

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I have heard reports that the Invacom Quad performs better than the Single or twin on reception reports, perhaps that is why your previous install worked due to the Quad

Bengt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,8m PF dish (situated on balcony),Invacom Quad or Inverto LNB (it varies), Sky Digibox, Humax Foxsat HD receiver, TBS8922 card.
My Location
Trelleborg (swedish south coast)
Hi

I've always been told that with Invacom you should use the Quad only.

Back in the 2D days I ordered the Invacom single LNB by mistake, and no matter what I did I could not get a signal on 2D.
When I got the Invacom Quad instead I immediately got 60% SQ on my Skybox (on which 40% was enough for a stable picture).

In other words, the difference was huge. I've never personally tried the twin version, but I'm told that it's not as good as the Quad either.

Regards,
Bengt