Channel Master Type 180/183

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Would appreciate if someone can pinpoint the differences between a ChannelMaster 1.8m Type 180 and ChannelMaster 1.8m Type 183.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
hi ---
it seems the 183 is a transmit / receive model
and the 180 is receive only

183 c.m. model

-http://www.sky2net.net/Equipment/Antennas/Channel Master 1.8M Type 183.pdf

180 c.m. model

-http://support.mainstreamdata.com/content/_sprt/pdf/type180.pdf

cheers --

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
...Nice looking bit of kit..
Lucky is the man who has one
;)

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Thanks Nelson_B

I managed to find the actual dimensions of the Type183(from .pdf manuals on the net) which are 182.2cm wide X 197.2cm high but could not find those for the Type180. Thing is that I got hold of a dismantled CM 1.8m replica (probably of a Type 183 since it has same measurments as above) and wanted more info since a friend of mine had bought a second hand original CM 1.8m which has slightly smaller dimensions 180cm X 196cm.

A

archive10

springer said:
I managed to find the actual dimensions of the Type183(from .pdf manuals on the net) which are 182.2cm wide X 197.2cm high but could not find those for the Type180. Thing is that I got hold of a dismantled CM 1.8m replica (probably of a Type 183 since it has same measurments as above) and wanted more info since a friend of mine had bought a second hand original CM 1.8m which has slightly smaller dimensions 180cm X 196cm.

The CM type 18x all use the same reflector.
Only the feed-arms and the mount differs.

- For the Rx only, the mount is a traditional AzEL with an H-frame with double mid-bars welded to El-mechanism. The feed-arms are simple steel tubing.
- For the Rx/Tx models, an I-shaped mount is used. This has the middle bar extended to the bottom of the reflector to provide direct support of the much sturdier (and heavier) LNB-holding base-bar.

In fact, I spoke to the CM guys (now Skyware) last year, and apparently only a single mould has ever existed.
It is a very sturdy piece of engineering, and is still being used today to make CM 18x models.

So all true-bred CM180 reflectors are the same size.
(I have both an Andrews and an ASC type 180, and they are identical.)

...so I am intrigued - do you have an actual replica of a CM 180?
Does it have the channel master logo somewhere in the topmost panes on the back of the dish?

A

archive10

st1 said:
For the Rx only, the mount is a traditional AzEL with an H-frame with double mid-bars welded to El-mechanism.

Before someone flames me, I need to say that the mount for the Rx only is really also an I-shape, as the horizontal bars are top and bottom, and the verticals inbetween these. They are however made from simpler angled steel L-bars welded and screwed together, rather than the more elaborate mount for the Rx/Tx models. I tend to see it as an H on the side, rather than the I...

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Thanks for the info ST1.
The fibreglass dish I got has exactly the same measurements as those on page 14 of the .pdf file I attached here. What is confusing me is the fact that a friend of mine who has an original CM 1.8m quoted slightly smaller dimensions for his dish (.zip file).

Attachments

• Type 183_pg14.pdf
    860.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Friend's orig. CM 1.8m.zip
    51.7 KB · Views: 130
A

archive10

I think your friend's measurements are subject to rounding errors.
The dish in the picture looks very much like an original Channel Master type 180 (or a very well made and secretive copy), judging from the remnants of the logo on the upper dish face and the feed arms (and bottom bracket).
I have never heard of CM copies, but given what I have seen from India and China, I would not doubt it would be possible.

I think your dish is a *real* CM. Is there a red wave or lightning on the front of it, and is there and manufacturing information box moulded into the dish on the upper half of the back?

If you have no feed-arms, these can be bought as spares, or you can potentially make your own. I posted measurements recently on this very forum.

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Probably as you say my friend's measurements are subject to rounding errors. My dish was definately made locally about 12 years ago. There are lots of them around and are quite popular. I dont have any photos yet as its still face down in my garden at the moment! But I have these pictures of the 1.2m equivalent. This particular dish can pick up weaker signals that even a 1.5 Gibertini struggles to pick up. Back bracket and polar mount for the 1.8m are practically the same but a little sturdier.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Hi Springer,How are things mate....I just thought of adding another close shot of the same subject...from the same source:)

Attachments

• PIMG_2376.JPG
    PIMG_2376.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 121

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Hi Zorbua. I'm in the middle of this 1.8m project at the moment.

@ST1
Sorry it was my mistake all along! As I said my 1.8m is face own at the moment and I had measured it from the back. Today I measured the the actual reflector face and it does measure slightly smaller and exactly as my friend's original CM. Infact I had another look at the dimensions in the .pdf file and it actually shows the Dish from the back and measurments are at the furthest edges.Took this photo with my phone today to give you an idea of what I am talking about. The picture is a bit misleading as both dishes are exactly the same. The one with the frame is my project the other is a spare that I managed to acquire today!

Attachments

• IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    914.7 KB · Views: 129
A

archive10

you've got me a little confused now.
The dishes in the pictures attached to post #11 are not CM type 18x at all.
The channel masters are SMC (glassfibre reinforeced polyester) dishes, and have a distinctive webbing at the back for strength.
The picture in posting #7 is of an SMC dish, you can see the bolts in the dish face used to mount it.
The dishes in pictures are steel dishes. No webbing. And their mount points are on the edge of the dish.

Are we talking about the same thing?

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Sorry if I was confusing. But when I said the dish I got was a CM replica (in post #4) I was talking about the reflector itself. The dishes in the picture are not steel. They are fibreglass dishes made locally from a cast made from an original CM. The rest of the setup including the polar mount is custom made as in the 1.2m in other picture. What I was comparing were the reflector dimensions of the copies to those of the original CM.;)

A

archive10

Ah, that clears thing up.

But this is really interesting - copying shape rather than the whole thing (structure) of an SMC dish.
Though without the support struts moulded into the back, I suppose the dish will wobble a bit without the elaborate steel frame. Or?

Anyway, good look with the project.

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
End result...

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 147

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Very nice V...........How is the invacom comparing with the black Inverto?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'm very impressed with the concrete base, and it's good to know people are still fabricating stuff in the industry.

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
zorbua;1033805How is the invacom comparing with the black Inverto?[/QUOTE said:
To be honest I had just changed the Ultra Black with the Invacom before I took the photo. The Invacom is a dual(I had only realised the quad was better after I purchased this one) with a Gibertini feedhorn. I had got this for my previous 1.5m Gibertini. Sky Premiere HD is slightly weaker now but BBC HD is slightly better, So I am assuming that the Invacon is better for the lower band and the Ultra Black has an edge on the high band. This is just my quick assumption.

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Channel Hopper said:
I'm very impressed with the concrete base, and it's good to know people are still fabricating stuff in the industry.

We had some very strong winds here recently that toppled my Gibertini 1.5m which was sitting on the stone slabs that you can see in the photos. So this time I made sure it wont happen again! That base is made up of over a half a cubic yard of concrete!