• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Channels for testing available beams ?

I

Icelander

Hi
Having just recently got my digibox up and running in Iceland, with the BBC card as a test card, I am wondering if I have enough available channels to test the footprints before I commit to getting the full sky service.

From what I can tell, I think I can get the 2A north and south beams, and 2D, but I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions for a test list of channels that would allow the testing of the horz. and vert signals for the 3 main footprints (2A N&S and 2D)

This is the list I have tried, and the information I think it tells me about my reception..

Channel,Sat,Pol

BBC parlament,2A-S,Vert
BBC1,2A-S,Horiz
Ch. 4 london,2A-N,Vert
Ch. 5,2A-N,Horiz
ITV granada,2D,Horiz

I can´t find a channel that will let me test the vert signal from 2D, so I am not sure if there is any difference in signal level between them.

Ta
Icelander

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Icelander,

There should in theory be little difference between the V & H signals on the Astra 2 satellite, so if you can get one, you should be able to get the other (providing the dish is properly aligned).

Rolf

I

Icelander

Hi Rolfw,
I was hoping there would be little difference between the H&V signal levels on 2D, but it is good to hear it confirmed. I noticed some report on the site of people seeing 3+ db differences, which could have been a problem. Mind you, I am very surprised at the signal strength here (perhaps 25% down on london). I only really brough the 80cm disk here out of curiosity, and was expecting to have to use the 1.5m dish I have been offered, but I may not bother. Mind you I am still waiting for a snow/rain storm....

As to the dish mounting; right now it is on my photo tripod, which means in the 30m/s wind we are geting this weekend, I have had to peg it down well! It is currently wobbling about to much to give me a stable signal, but I should have a permanent mount in a month or so when I move.

Icelander

Expat

My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
There is a about 3db difference between H & V transponders, the H being the stronger. Iceland is inside the offical Astra 2D footprint.