Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im a bit later starting this than normal but December is ticking down so I better get my act together....

I assume we will be running the usual end of year Follow the Fireworks fun on the forum?
Usual routine, tune into Auckland midnight at 1100 UK time then work our way westwards across the time zones seeing what weird & wonderful celebrations we can find, no doubt a smattering of wrinkly rockers and an awful lot of fireworks!

For those of you that havent seen the format before the usual firework highlights are

Auckland
Sydney
Taipei
Pyongyang(!) - had an excellent display in recent years
Dubai
Berlin or one of the German cities
London

Channels are all almost all watched via FTA channels on 13E during the day, the Germans on 19E & a few news channels on 28E. There are always a few contributors chipping in with some of the other birds - eg the Ukrainians & Baltics on 5E and whatever other oddities we can find on the other birds across the European arc.
There is also the opportunity to watch the classic Dinner For One on 19E.
The Reuters news feed on 22W is also a useful one to have access to as they tend to have the full displays from main cities on.

Same procedure as every year?? :-rofl2

I normally watch Moscow at 2100 UK but I shall be boycotting their output this year due to the war on Ukraine & watch one of the others at 2100

As usual I'll close this for now & reopen it a few days before NYE
BTW - the first record I can find of Chasing Midnight here is way back in 2004, with annual occurences since 2007!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Info from @mikeisyou - the Auckland Skytower fireworks will be back for 2022 :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
OK Christmas is over so the thread is now open through the New Year & into January. As usual everybody is welcome to join in - all day if you want the company of your fellow fireworks followers, or just to say hello if you are popping into the forum before heading out to celebrate with friends & family. :)

Muy own personal decision is Im not reporting anything thats happening on any of the Russian channels this year. If you wish to note what you see thats fine but please keep politics off the forum.

@geordieman pm'd me to say Bahrain could be worth a look this year Bahrain to witness biggest fireworks show on New Year’s eve: BTEA | THE DAILY TRIBUNE | KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN (Bahrain is UTC +3)

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
GMT+8: Hong Kong New Year fireworks axed for 4th year running due to Covid-19

"Hong Kong still enforces a group gathering limit of 12 people in public, makes mask-wearing compulsory, and requires tracing apps for entering certain premises such as restaurants."

Last edited:

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
GMT+4: Abu Dhabi and Ras Al Khaimah both of United Arab of Emirates going for world records

The Sheikh Zayed Festival in Al Wathba will try to break its own Guinness World Records for duration, volume and formation during its firework and light spectacle on New Year's Eve.

This includes the largest firework display, which will be on for 40 minutes, and a light show with more than 3,000 drones.

Ras Al Khaimah will attempt to break their own record with a 12-minute fireworks show, although the specific titles they are aiming for have not been disclosed yet.

Last edited:

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
My own personal decision is Im not reporting anything thats happening on any of the Russian channels this year. If you wish to note what you see thats fine but please keep politics off the forum.

I wouldn't bother anyway - Moscow and other Russian cities are scaling back or canceling New Year parties to spend the money attacking Ukraine

GMT+3: Moscow and other Russian cities are scaling back or canceling New Year parties to spend the money attacking Ukraine

Moscow is still holding a New Year celebration — but it will not include fireworks, its mayor said.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Zakopane is nice - we were there a few years ago. Rather odd watching the ski jumpers with no snow though :)

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
"CNN to follow New Year’s Eve celebrations across the world with special live global coverage" We shall see

From their locations they will drop in on celebrations in Istanbul +3, Mombasa +3, Athens +2, Paris +1, Berlin +1, Lagos +1, Bogota -5, and finally New York City -5.

Last edited:

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
Looking for feeds, not regular broadcasting.
Anyone has ideas about possible permanent feeds switching between locations around the world? So, one feed covering all celebrations from East to West? Some years ago I saw such feed at 7E I believe, but I do not remember when it was.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Anyone has ideas about possible permanent feeds switching between locations around the world? So, one feed covering all celebrations from East to West?
As already mentioned, Reuters on 22°W covers many locations.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Looking for feeds, not regular broadcasting.
Anyone has ideas about possible permanent feeds switching between locations around the world? So, one feed covering all celebrations from East to West? Some years ago I saw such feed at 7E I believe, but I do not remember when it was.
Reuters 22W is fta & carries 7 or 8 of the main celebrations. Or AP on 10E used to be fairly easy to open. I havent tried that in one in years though. Reuters is good in that they tend to stay with the longer ones right to the end. The tv news channels tend to chop the fireworks off after 4 or 5 minutes.

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Heavy Winds are forecast for Germany, UK, France and wherever else on New Years Eve.

"When winds exceed 20 to 30 miles per hour, fireworks companies won't shoot [the shows] off."

From looking at the predicted forecast wind speeds will exceed 30mph. Will we start to see cancellations?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
31st Dec 2022 will be exactly 30 years since Thames TV signed off for the final time :eek:

This was the montage they finished with

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
And so they dont get forgotten 3 other ITV services closed down for the final time too

So a roll call of honour to

TVS - replaced by Meridian

TSW - replaced by Westcountry

TV-AM -replaced by GMTV

plus Oracle - replaced by Teletext Ltd

remlap1986

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
Wales
Hi all, had to make a new account after losing my phone I had the 2 Step Authentication on and me stupidly never printing out my backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.