Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Fortec Satellite with motor
Fortec Star Beta receiver
My Location
Hampshire
Hey guys and gals!

I just installed my dish with motor and fortec beta receiver. i was having the problem of my dish not moving and also what seemed to have no power.

I bought a new satellite cable from b and q and added the f plugs myself. It has not been ouputting power as when I went to use the satellite finder it would not switch on. So, i then tried another coax cable with f plugs already supplied and it works! The only problem is the cable that works is too short! I know the obvious answer would be to buy another cable but I spend 20 quid on the cable that doesn't work! Any body out there have any problems with their coax cables?

Thanks a lot! And merry Christmas!

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
A simple test would be to check the plugs for a short circuit. Even one strand touching can cause problems.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The cable that b&q sell is not the best quality, and the f-connectors they sell, don't fit on very easily. For a short run, like 20m they should be fine though.

Here is a guide to putting the connectors on properly:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/694091-post14.html

Robbo:-Cgrin

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Not to sure about B&Q cable. When I converted my garage into an extra room I used some B&Q coax because I had run short on the drum. When it came to the cable box, one socket on the lh side of the room was fine, the other with B&Q cable was dropping the signal. Virgin did a test and said its a faulty cable. Luckily I could pull it through without a problem. Replaced and solved the problem.

Robbo71 said:
The cable that b&q sell is not the best quality, and the f-connectors they sell, don't fit on very easily. For a short run, like 20m they should be fine though.

Here is a guide to putting the connectors on properly:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/694091-post14.html

Robbo:-Cgrin

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
thanks for the quick replies guys! i managed to get the cable working by properly reading the guides! i can be impatient!

my problem is that i am in an akward position to set up the satellite, might have a look to see if someone wants to set it up for me! cheers!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Cabron74 said:
thanks for the quick replies guys! i managed to get the cable working by properly reading the guides! i can be impatient!

my problem is that i am in an akward position to set up the satellite, might have a look to see if someone wants to set it up for me! cheers!

I have heard of people paying £150 or £175 for a professional install, it would hopefully take the hassle out of it though. Also if at a later date somthing goes wrong, you would probably have to pay more to get them to sort it out. But if an installer is your only choice, then that is what you have to do.

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
blimey! didn't know that they would charge that much! i'm confident about setting it up, its just getting up onto the roof really. its not a flat roof so thats the main problem really.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, if putting it just above the gutter line was high enough, that could be a solution. Alternatively, is it possible to put the dish on a pole in the garden somewhere?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
As said above, if only one small strand of outer cable is touching the center core of the coax, your signal will be rubbish.

when fitting the F plugs, take your time and get it on right!

also if you can buy shielded coax, little bit more expensive... but if you like a good picture its worth it ;)

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
i have it in the garden at the moment on the garage wall but the house is in the way!
this is my location _http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=50.792101,-1.090865&spn=0.000588,0.001255&t=h&z=20&om=1

its the one next to the garden that looks white and paved. any suggestions?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Cabron74 said:
i have it in the garden at the moment on the garage wall but the house is in the way!
this is my location _http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=50.792101,-1.090865&spn=0.000588,0.001255&t=h&z=20&om=1

its the one next to the garden that looks white and paved. any suggestions?

Which house is it? Difficult to tell which one you are talking about?

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
if you look at the 4 trees in a line its the second one from the left and to the top of the tree, for some reason google maps won't let me put a pin on it?!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Ahh, I think I see, so the front of your house faces the trees and south. The back of your house faces North, with the garage down the bottom of your garden.

Not sure of the mechanical fixings or waterproofing involved, but what about on top of the garage roof?

You might get clearance over you house there?
Or maybe on the back wall of the garage perhaps.

It looks like that tree is in the way at the front of your house.

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
i don't think i can on the roof and if i put it on the back it will get stolen! too many pikeys around here! lol!

maybe put it higher than it already is it might clear the house? what about that?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You need to measure the angle from where the bottom of the dish might go, to the top of the house roof. An inclinometer would help. I use a 1.2m spirit level, where you can rotate the bubble thing, so that you can measure elevation angles with it.

If you can get it down to 20 degrees or so, you will have a fair crack at the arc, 42E to about the same west.

Below 25 degrees, 28E to 30W should be possible.

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
right, i got a question. i see that i might be able to pick something due west. what satellites would you recommend that i try to get the best signal? not sure if that is a good question or not! ha! i'm a noooob!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Cabron74 said:
right, i got a question. i see that i might be able to pick something due west. what satellites would you recommend that i try to get the best signal? not sure if that is a good question or not! ha! i'm a noooob!

The satellites that we can see are due south and approx 70 degrees either side of it. You won't find anything at all due west, as all the satellites have dropped below the horizon well before that point.

Most of the satellites worth looking at for us are between 45E and 45W approx. Try and get the elevation angle to your house roof, or have a look round the front to see if you will clear the trees, as due south and 45 degrees either way is where you need to point the dish.

Cabron74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
ok, well the trees are leafless at the moment so it would clear them. but are you talking about elevation angle of my roof from the garage? and if so, does that mean that i should point the dish a bit more up then?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What I meant was, hypothetically, if you stood on the southern edge of your garage roof, and looked up to the top of your house roof, what angle would you be looking up at. This would help determine if this could be a possible place to put a dish. Any satellite that you wanted to view would have to be above any house roof in whichever direction you had to look for the satellite.

For example, if you wanted to point your dish at 1W, the elevation angle for that satellite where you are is approx 32 degrees.
That is approximately looking straight ahead to the back of your house from the garage roof. To see that satellite the vertical angle to the roof of your house would need to be less that 32 degrees, otherwise the roof would block it.

As you look east and west of south, the elevation angles to see the satellites gradually drop, but fortunately the distance to the obstructions also increases, so the angle of the obstruction also gets a little lower.

At the front of your house the trees look quite close, so it may be more difficult to see the satellites. Unfortunately the leaves will grow back, and block your signal.