Status
Not open for further replies.

munklefish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard sky box
My Location
uk
The terrestrail cable is just connected into a multiway splitter/booster box, and can be easily removed. Hence my thinking that it might be possible to hook the cable up to the sky distributer?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Short and brief.

For example and to expand on what was mentioned in post #20. If you go ahead and use the standard coaxial (assuming that is what it is) ......you could put yourself in danger and others connected to the system. If by any chance a fault developed on the system or drop cable the standard TV coax will not trip the RCD in time and could cause a FIRE !! assuming there is already an earth bond in place.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If it is just standard coax it wont work very well anyway - standard coax doesnt carry satellite downlink frequencies very well and results will be poor.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the flats are only five years old, then there is a possibility that even the UHF feed is double screened, from the sounds of it the cable may be a 1.25mm core or bigger, which would certainly help.

At the end of the day, it is down to getting an engineer who knows his way around IRS installations, as he can test the cable run to see if it is a single point to point run and also whether it will successfully carry an IF signal. He will also be able to ensure that appropriate earth bonding is in place.

We really can't help any more, as this is all guess work, only an onsite inspection by a suitable skilled person can solve your problems

munklefish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard sky box
My Location
uk
rolfw said:
If the flats are only five years old, then there is a possibility that even the UHF feed is double screened, from the sounds of it the cable may be a 1.25mm core or bigger, which would certainly help.

At the end of the day, it is down to getting an engineer who knows his way around IRS installations, as he can test the cable run to see if it is a single point to point run and also whether it will successfully carry an IF signal. He will also be able to ensure that appropriate earth bonding is in place.

We really can't help any more, as this is all guess work, only an onsite inspection by a suitable skilled person can solve your problems

Thanks for the info. All i was trying to establish was the feasibility of using the terrestrail coax. Now i can suggest that a different -perhaps more competent- installer be called in to investigate further.

Many Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thread closed, discussion is going round in circles, all posts past the point of being relevant have been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.