comag chd 1000 with 60cm, and 90cm dish upgrade?

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
AMD Turon 64x2 - TL58 - 1.90GHz Memory 2gigb ram
windows vista 2007 - serv pack 1
I have a comag CHD 1000
High Def rec with 60 cm dish and 0.3db LNB
My Location
Rotherham
I am fairly new to the site and some years back was a satellite installer
and electrical engineer. And pardon the expression now a little rusty...

I have just decided to go to freesat with a entry level comag CHD1000 and 60cm dish.

However I have a 90cm eutelsat/hot bird aligned analogue dish still mounted on the wall, with dual analogue LNB's mounted offset.

May be a daft question but could I instal my comag 0.3db LNB to my 90cm dish. And would it give much improvement on FTA channels and HD increase over the 60cm dish supplied.

Or any suitable recommendations

Thanks for any help in advance..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That would be fine, are the LNBs universal?

BOGSTANDARD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500
My Location
Hampshire
The 90 dish will naturally be better especially in rain. Interested to know how you get on with the reciever its only £110 at Maplins - I like the idea that it uses little power in standby. Now how are the EPG's for freesat channels?

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
I have a comag CHD 1000
My Location
Rotherham
Ok Bog been busy but when I get time will check EPG out on a variety of channels and post back soon :):

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
I have a comag CHD 1000
My Location
Rotherham
I had to remove the 90cm dish as it had a faulty lnb bracket.

I have now installed the 60cm comag dish which came with the system, and a quad mti lnb (bought off ebay). However after using a satfinder sensitivity meter and approximately 2hrs of searching for Astra 2, 28 degrees east I now give up.

The strongest signal I can get is
Signal intensity = 90 percent
Signal quality = 70 percent

With minor adjustment of both the elevation and Azimuth I am unable to get the freesat Astra on 28.2 degrees.

I have had success with the comag chd1000 system on eutelsat, hotbird, and turksat (I could have mis spelt them so forgive me..lol).

I have checked all connections, cable and lnb and all appear to be fine.

I have also checked my location on dishpointer.com and nothing as been flagged up there.

Would the signal calibration I listed above be too weak for Astra 2?

Or would the lack of elevation scale on rear of dish compound the difficulty I am having in fine tuning the dish location to get a higher setting for Astra 2, since Azimuth can be found fairly quickly??

Any thoughts before I lose any more hair trying to get the freesat and HD working again..

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
I have a comag CHD 1000
My Location
Rotherham
Bog the receiver I am happy with right now, its easy to configure and since its german its preset for most european satellites. It also as a good inbuilt sat strength meter..

I would recommend a better dish with elevation setting as the one supplied is quite awkward to set up, even for me (a past satellite installer), a good compass is always handy too, and a decent sat finder/meter.

Will let you know about EPG as soon as I have located Astra 2 again... watch this space..

I have also managed to record to a USB hard drive with no problem though just a few minutes to test the facility!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your dish size (60cm) should be fine for Astra 28.2, obtaining a signal strength and quality reading but finding no channels is indicative of being on the wrong satellite.

Elevation settings on the dish bracket are not required if you are using a sat finder, this will be far more accurate as you are measuring the actual signal from the satellite.

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
I have a comag CHD 1000
My Location
Rotherham
Well after what seemed like a eternity I finally tuned the system to freesat 28 degrees...comag HD system is user friendly.

However....an annoying thing is the EPG does not show the desired channel picture to view, though when you have it on menu and search channels you can view each channel that way.

I hope this is sorted out on a upgrade, .. mentioning upgrade that may be awkward since to do a upgrade you have to realign your antenna/dish to 19.2 east. Which would be difficult with a fixed antenna system.

KInda weird if you ask me for us uk buyeres, since it has a usb slot so why cant you download it to pc and then upgrade via usb.

Just a few niggles for now but due to the vast quality of BBC HD I give it a thumbs up.

I am so pleased I am thinking of buying a motorised system and hooking that up to the HD receiver next since whilst I was aligning to 28 east I found a few other satellites with other HD channels I was interested in.

I would recommend a comag HD receiver for its user friendly PVR via usb set up. I will certainly watch for more systems as they are released by them, however I would only say they need to rethink their software.

******* View picture in EPG needs sorting.
******* Dedicated button for your own fave channel list would be good.
******* EPG could be expandable to show more channels on your screen.
******* Choice of upgrade via various satellites or via pc/usb connection.
******* Remote is basic, could have a widescreen button.

Def worth the £116 I paid for the system so just hope it lasts as long as the two year warranty supplied with it.

Any

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
I have a comag CHD 1000
My Location
Rotherham
BOGSTANDARD said:
The 90 dish will naturally be better especially in rain. Interested to know how you get on with the reciever its only £110 at Maplins - I like the idea that it uses little power in standby. Now how are the EPG's for freesat channels?

Had time to check the EPG out and it needs some improvement, you get about 4 channels viewed on screen of which the channel your on is one of them.

It shows you now and next and a decent description of the programme, on some channels you get 24hr epg on others you just get now and next...:-rofl2

must admit I do find it user friendly for the money and having the option to record to usb stick, and do live pause is handy....

i am thinkingof coupling it to a motorised set up soon, or trying to change my set up to see if i can get national geographic on hd some how...

so open to offers there,,,.......:eek:

ElJayfit

Arcade Bandit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop Model -
Asus - A7U series
I have a comag CHD 1000
My Location
Rotherham
ok woke up today and for some strange and apparent reason I have no signal on all channels on my comag receiver. It was ok yesterday and nothing appears to have changed in any way except there is nothing to watch...lol... any ideas....

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The weather has also woken up, you need to check dish alignment, may have moved in the high winds, is the dish still there? is the cable damaged, has the lnb failed. Has rain seeped through the outer sheath of the cable?