Combining satellite feeds?

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hello, I wondered if anyone has managed to combine satellite feeds.

I have a 3m dish alinged for BBC1 etc, but I wish to recieve true movies etc. This should be possible with a 1.5m dish correctly aligned on eurobird 2. I have a quattro lnb and multiswitch distribution system.

Could I get a 1.5m dish with a quattro lnb and combine each of the four feeds with the corresponding feeds of the 3m dish and feed to the multiswitch?

Has anyone managed this?

Cheers :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you not pick the channel up on your existing dish? The channel is on Eurobird 1, this is co-located with Astra2.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
yes, Eurobird 1 is at 28.5E only 0.3 degrees east of Astra 2D.

The 3dB beamwidth of your dish would be quite small, 0.6 degrees according to a calculator I just used.

Have you tried re-scanning the correct TPs for the channels you want.

True Movies has changed transponder recently, I jsut tried it and it's
moved from 11343 V to 11641 V (approx freqs).

If you don't get them, perhaps your dish is misaligned a touch, and with the narrow beamwidth you are just cutting off 28.5E.

To combine two sats with a multiswitch, you can get multiswitches with enough inputs for 2 satellites, e.g '9 in 8 out' (inc 1 Terrestrial)

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi, sorry typo meant eurobird 1. The dish is in Gran Canaria and over here we align the large dishes to maximise the signal for the channels we want the most. The dish is aligned to maximise the reception of bbc, itv and ch4, this means we are unable to get all the channels we could get with a large dish. Hence my question weither it would be possible to merge the feeds, thereby maximising the nunber of channels from 28 degrees.

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, surprises me that you can't get them at all, but there we go. :)

It will be a problem with a 9 input multiswitch if you want to use Sky digiboxes, as they don't have DiseqC capability.

Perhaps you could use a couple of digiboxes at the head end and send the two channels around the system as rf channels.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rolfw said:
OK, surprises me that you can't get them at all, but there we go. :)

It will be a problem with a 9 input multiswitch if you want to use Sky digiboxes, as they don't have DiseqC capability.

Perhaps you could use a couple of digiboxes at the head end and send the two channels around the system as rf channels.

Rolf,
Do you reckon it would work if he used a couple of quattros,
used 4 combiners i.e H+H (Hi) H+H(lo) V+V(Hi) V+V (lo) and then fed into a 4 input multiswitch. There would be a loss with the combiners, but theoretically I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless Ive missed something.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It'll be a phase problem, you will end up with loads of noise as there will be an overlap of signals.