.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
checked out lidl with no luck, anybody know where else i could pick up a cheap one.

i take it my standard PCTV card is of no use for any of this?
Can i get broadband through my dish? is it gratis?
Can i get live premiership football at 3pm on a saturday?

Barkmann

Reaction score
My Location
Western Europe
Also as a newbie, I have been reading this thread, and took your advice.

Purchased:

SkyStar 2 TV PVR PC card
Invacom 0.3 dB High Power LNB
SLX Satelliet finder
Triax 88cm Satelliet Dish
Heavy Duty Tripod Stand

I've managed to cobble all the components together, but am having a hell of a time trying to actually receive satellite TV. :rolleyes:

Can anyone who is using the SkyStar 2 TV PVR PC card please take the time to point a newbie in the right direction. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Barkmann said:
Also as a newbie, I have been reading this thread, and took your advice.

Purchased:

SkyStar 2 TV PVR PC card
Invacom 0.3 dB High Power LNB
SLX Satelliet finder
Triax 88cm Satelliet Dish
Heavy Duty Tripod Stand

I've managed to cobble all the components together, but am having a hell of a time trying to actually receive satellite TV. :rolleyes:

Can anyone who is using the SkyStar 2 TV PVR PC card please take the time to point a newbie in the right direction. :)
Hi Barkmann
Which satellite is your dish pointed at? I assume you are getting some signal indication on your meter.
What program are you using with the SS2? ProgDVB? DVBViewer?

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
kebabinho said:
checked out lidl with no luck, anybody know where else i could pick up a cheap one.

i take it my standard PCTV card is of no use for any of this?
Can i get broadband through my dish? is it gratis?
Can i get live premiership football at 3pm on a saturday?
anybody know where else i could pick up a cheap one Not really...

i take it my standard PCTV card is of no use for any of this? No
Can i get broadband through my dish? Yes is it gratis? No
Can i get live premiership football at 3pm on a saturday? Most. Depends on which sats, and which team you support!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England

Barkmann

Reaction score
My Location
Western Europe
Llew said:
Hi Barkmann
Which satellite is your dish pointed at? I assume you are getting some signal indication on your meter.
What program are you using with the SS2? ProgDVB? DVBViewer?

Llew
Dear Llew,

I am pointing the dish at Thor (1° West) and have DVBViewer (which came with the SkyStar 2 TV PVR PC card).

Thank you for your help,

Barkmann

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The version of DVBViewer that comes with the SS2 doesn't work with plugins. Dump it immediately and install MyTheatre V2.76 or the latest version of ProgDVB.

Then do some research here, and you will find out what you need to do to it to get the stuff you want.

All the information is here, so if you're keen enough, you'll find it.

If you get really really stuck, then we'll fix you up.

Barkmann

Reaction score
My Location
Western Europe
BGonaSTICK said:
The version of DVBViewer that comes with the SS2 doesn't work with plugins. Dump it immediately and install MyTheatre V2.76 or the latest version of ProgDVB.

Then do some research here, and you will find out what you need to do to it to get the stuff you want.

All the information is here, so if you're keen enough, you'll find it.

If you get really really stuck, then we'll fix you up.
Thank you, I'm am very keen. Downloading My Theatre v2.76 from http://www.sat.joy.ro/download.html as I type these words. I will do some research to "get the stuff I want" ;) and try again tommorrow. :)

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Barkmann

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
How did you get on?

ambokyo

Reaction score
gameboy said:
1)You can see a full list of satellite and the channels here...

http://www.lyngsat.com/

Some are FTA (free to air) you don't need a card etc - some are coded. If they are this is listed beside each channel.

The site will tell you what size dish you will need depending on your location. So check the channels you want, the size of dish plus if they are encoded.

2) A large selection of recievers exists and each has it's own advantages/disadvantages. Have a look at the magazine 'What Satellite' and you'll get a better understanding. Each receiver will have it's own fans, check the different forums on this site.

3) You don't need a card for the FTA channels, you can get hundreds of them if you pick the right satellite position. If you want to decode other channels, again this can be done with Card, CAM (Conditional Access Module) combinations or a box that doesn't need these but is a bit complicated and needs computer experience.

Remember that unless you use an official card the reliability of the channels you decode is not guaranteed and they may not remain receivable.

Sky is not available without and official card and receiver.

Pardon my ignorance but can you site an example where in lyngsat where it shows you what size of dish you need if you are loacted at some point and want to receive from a particular satellite.

I have just bought my very first satellite receiver and am in that situation. I'm afraid the dish I got from the country it originated from is not sufficent for use in the country I'm going to use it on.

Thanks in advance!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You have to click on the satellite beam in the far right hand column, this will give you the satellite footprint, sometimes with dish sizes required. There are then a couple of sites which you can use to translate the EIRP if that is all that is listed, the sites are in Nobbly's Big Links list.