DrSavage

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky SD, Sky +, Sky HD and IPTV
8 PC's
My Location
Herts
Hi

Couldn’t find answers to this question in the forum.

I live in a 12 floor block of flats, 50 residents. We have Virgin cabled in to the block, but 40 of us want Sky. Sadly the Council have a rule, no dishes or aerials and we don’t have any balconies.

I have a Sky HD and Sky+ box and my partner has a Polsat box, but cant watch any of them due to the restrictions.

Can any one recommend a community dish that will feed the flats and allow coverage of most of the satellites?

I spoke to the council and if I can come up with a cheap enough plan, that will give satellite access to not just UK based companies (to allow for the large influx of Europeans) but supply up to 2/4 feeds per flat (200 max, based on each flat having a Sky HD and a Sky+ demand).
The receiver has a clear eye of sight at the top of the block.

A tall order, but any help and advice would be grateful received.

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

A 'nine wire IRS' will deliver satellite feeds to all flats. Communal satellite dish and multiswitch arrangement required.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Major problem with community buildings is distributing the cables from the dishes to the flats, without having the cables go over the outside of the building.
Is there already a cable distribution through ducts?

DrSavage

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky SD, Sky +, Sky HD and IPTV
8 PC's
My Location
Herts
Hi

Yes there is an old UHF cable system that no long works, since vandals go on the roof and ripped out the ariel and system.

I understand that the we cant run the cable over the edge and the council said we cant, even though a resident can absail down the walls.

The over wall option would be better but council dont want anything on the outside of the walls.

The key thing is cost, council wants it for free...lol I knwo someone in our building that works for Sky, so might asking him if there is anythign Sky can do.

inhouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star beta - motorised 85cm
My Location
berkshire england
DrSavage said:
Hi

The key thing is cost, council wants it for free...lol I knwo someone in our building that works for Sky, so might asking him if there is anythign Sky can do.

Sky might be able to help:

_http://communaltv.sky.com/communalTvOptions.aspx

But I doubt you would get the multi satellite feed.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
DrSavage said:
Hi

Yes there is an old UHF cable system that no long works, since vandals go on the roof and ripped out the ariel and system.

What guarantee would you have that vandals will not rip again the new dish system if and when it is installed?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
DrSavage said:
Hi
I understand that the we cant run the cable over the edge and the council said we cant, even though a resident can absail down the walls.

The over wall option would be better but council dont want anything on the outside of the walls.

Might be difficult as some sort of subscriber cabling will be seen.