Confused. Simple explanation?

paul79

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Liverpool
Hi there, new to the forum and a little confused. I did once install my Father's SKY system at my own address, using a guide of the web, as they wanted £60 to do this and he had just had his house reposessed. What I want now, is a little more complicated I imagine. Basically, I am a Newcastle supporter and my Partner is a Liverpool (unfortunately :p) fan lol. We just upgraded Sky to receive ESPN as a few games will be shown there, but £9 a month is a joke! I want to be able to watch both teams, whenever they play, without having to look for illegal streamed sites, which are usually rubbish anyway. So far, I understand I need a dish, receiver and card/cam. I had a look and it seems there are TONS of channels showing the games we want to watch, so now, I want to know, what would be the best setup, roughly how much, and is it difficult to install? I don't mind paying subscriptions, as long as it means my eyeballs remain in their sockets!!!! Thanks, Paul

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
First of all you need to decide what your budget is - subscriptions cost from around £250/yr to above £2000/yr. The equipment you will require depends on which subscription you decide to go for.

Examples

The cheapish Tring cards had a fairly good record last season, but yesterday hundreds of cards missed the essential weekly update for the card and were blacked out.

Someone has reported buying a Viasat Lithuania card for this season (£1300 for a 3 year card) and is happy with it, but you would need a biggish dish in Liverpool to get that particular one.

paul79

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Liverpool
OK, after a little more research, am I correct in thinking, I need Tring+, minimum 80cm dish, and a cam (TV needs cam slot:S) or receiver box? Also, what's the likelihood that it will work for full 12 months? Marconi digital say one of theirs guarantees football.....

paul79

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Liverpool
Thanks Analoguesat. We basically just want the cheapest setup, that will allow to watch the games. If you miss updates, is that the money wasted?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
paul79 said:
Thanks Analoguesat. We basically just want the cheapest setup, that will allow to watch the games. If you miss updates, is that the money wasted?

You get a black screen instead of the football. :D

paul79

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Liverpool
Can updates be manually installed from elsewhere then? I just don't want to waste money lol! My Partner is disabled and I am her Carer, so we live on benefits (no scouse jokes, I'm a geordie lmao). She also has an 11 yr old so money is tight, new clothes needed regularly and all that :(. Not that I begrudge SKY the money or anything, but I begrudge SKY the money haha! We're lucky to see half the games we want! Is the Tring+ my best/cheapest option then? And, regarding the missed updates, how does this actually happen? Do you have to update yourself, is it automatic and they just failed, etc

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The updates are sent via satellite by Tring. There was a big foul up yesterday.......

Im no expert on the Prem football, as I have no interest in the overpaid poseurs - I follow Walsall :D.

Hopefully someone will chip in with info on whats the best sub for you for for Liverpool and Newcastle. :)

paul79

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
Liverpool
OK, cool thanks for the help :) ONe more thing. If they send the updates and it fails, Marconi say "free insurance" with the package. Surely, if it fails, then what you bought is no longer "fit for purpose" ans should be covered yeah?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I doubt it - many suppliers wont refund money once a card is activated - read their t&c's. Its out of their hands if the pay tv provider screws up.

To be honest you take a chance with any foreign sub for football..

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
All the Liverpool ones will be on Tring, some Newcastle games on it but all on Viasat, that's probably the only package with all Newcastle games.

tomtit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate with 1000 dish
My Location
liverpool
Sorry for newbie question. My tring card off e-bay won't unscramble. . .am I just unlucky with thus purchase and are there good ones out there. Always bought off ***** and never had a problem???
cheers

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Please do not hijack someone elses thread but instead star a new one.
For now I shall leave it here, until you reply, then move it to a thread of it's own.
When posting questions please supply us with more information:
What model Technomate receiver do you have?
Are you using a genuine Conax cam?
What are your signalk strength readings on 16E?
What channel frequencies, and especially polarity, are the Tring channels in your receiver? Have you done a re-scan using 11283 V 27500?
Are you sure the card is activated?

tomtit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate with 1000 dish
My Location
liverpool
Sorry boss.. . . .
I just picked this thread up. . . but I've already posted a new one