constantdw

estiy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
internet user with fta digibox to hotbird astra & hispasat
My Location
spain
Please is there anyone who can enlighten me as to what is this system?,what equipment is needed to use it?,how it works(PC or other)?,& how to test with it.I have asked on many forums,even asking moderators directly,NO-ONE as yet has given a reply that relates to anything more than references to sites that post the relative K**s.Waiting in hope!.THX:confused

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm not an encryptions expert, but this system is often used as a cheap and cheerful fix to temporarily disrupt the unauthorised decoding of data streams (satellite in this case).

It uses fixed, or constant Data Control Words in the data stream to describe the content and/or offset of other data in that stream.

Sometimes it does nothing of the sort, and is just there to intentionally alter the data structure and therefore cause the decoding process problems. I presume that in the latter case, these control words would just be ignored, stripped or otherwise dumped from the stream by the official decryption code as they are not needed.

This technique has been used of late with the BISS system to alter key structures. It's not difficult to work around, but causes confusion and frustration to the less experienced 'users' of these after-market solutions.

It only seems to be used by the 'less well off' companies, as it's generally not a very effective countermeasure.

Now go get your new keys :)

STICK

estiy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
internet user with fta digibox to hotbird astra & hispasat
My Location
spain
Thanks BGonaSTICK! Great explanation,and,if I understand correctly,only used for short or uncertain amounts of time,otherwise,these providers would merely be opening up another avenue for decryption.However,worth a try! Maybe they're not logical!!!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Oh, they're fairly easily undone. Plugins of various types are available, and changes to key stuctures are very obvious (to those that understand these things - i.e. not I!) - just not to the dumb software.

All executable code must understand how to address the data it ultimately needs to process. If that data changes location or format, the process can no longer use it.