Couldn't resist a new dish

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Well, saw this some weeks back on Friday Ad and was going to get it for Vipersan but was a bit far for him and he now has his new toy anyway.

Sooooo... After some deliberation, I decided to get it myself. The dish in question is the Gibertini 1.5m and was used to receive Sirius 2/3 here in Bristol. Thought you'd need a larger dish than that for those old sats. I am hoping that I will get a glimpse of SES-5 here as I haven't had a lock from that one yet...

Why did I get it? Well, I was going to wait until we moved next year to our own place and then get a 1.8m Channel Master or similar but this was near, cheap (£80) and now! The dish is in good condition and surprisingly light. A few glances at it made me think that it's slightly warped...but that was without the back plate. I put the plate on and it seems ok. Need to string it properly to see if anything is actually out of place.

Plans for it? Well, it would be an ideal replacement for the 1.2m Channel Master but need to fabricate a new bracket for to go on the 1224 motor with the declination control. Will be used for Ku and C.

Two problems... I need to see what satellites the dish will see 'fully'. Certainly my current dish has full illumination from around 10e and westwards but everything else to the east will only have partial one due to the house in the way. All the interesting sats are in the east for me and I get everything I need from the west. But hopefully will get more channels from Amos at 4w for XtraTv and some more C band stuff.

Second problem... I haven't told my SWMBO that I got it yet! She's bound to notice it at some point. Need to spray the dish in a dark colour so that it matches the fence and makes it more camouflaged.

Watch this space for progress!

uploadfromtaptalk1391883859946.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391883892166.jpg

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Second problem... I haven't told my SWMBO that I got it yet! She's bound to notice it at some point. Need to spray the dish in a dark colour so that it matches the fence and makes it more camouflaged.
Good luck with that. ;)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Do you think the 1224 motor is man enough to drive this or am I better off using a Channel Master polar mount? The dish seems light enough...

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
The motor should be fine with it as I think the cm 1.2 is probably heavier than the 1.5 with it being aluminum.

just the gibby backplate being the heaviest part if it's similar to the 1.2

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thought as much wod. The original plate is in place as you see in the picture but the rest will be made up from steel.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
wait until we moved next year to our own place and then get a 1.8m Channel Master or similar but this was near, cheap (£80) and now! The dish is in good condition and surprisingly light. A few glances at it made me think that it's slightly warped...but that was without the back plate. I put the plate on and it seems ok. Need to string it properly to see if anything is actually out of place.

Two problems... I need to see what satellites the dish will see 'fully'. Certainly my current dish has full illumination from around 10e and westwards but everything else to the east will only have partial one due to the house in the way. All the interesting sats are in the east for me and I get everything I need from the west. But hopefully will get more channels from Amos at 4w for XtraTv and some more C band stuff.

£80 is a bargain

Getting rid of Problem 2 automatically gets rid of Problem 1 as you can then put it on the roof.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ha.. not the roof. Will be far too exposed to the neighbours. In the garden, only one neighbour has full view of the dish and he doesn't seem bothered.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Nice CJ:), I would stop worrying about the neighbours and eye sores as you call them, get it put were it will work;)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
..Just tell Mrs CJ that you _need_ a big dish and this would free up a smaller dish in case she invites friends round for dinner/tea/supper ..
Personally I think a 1.2 would make a wonderful centrepiece ..
Room for some fruit ..or fill it full of flowers for that special occasion.
Better still ..with Feb 14 coming up ...
Fill it with roses ...the chocolates are good too..

Seriously though ...nice one Alex ..
looking forward to seeing the gibby up n' running.
cheers
VS

...you really DO love your dishes I see ..
You even got it it's own mattress to sleep on..
Mine have to make do with a pole..

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Morning chaps.

I have a feedhorn designed for the Channel Master dishes. Am I correct to assume that it's almost the same, if not identical, to the one used by Gibertini? What's the best combination of LNBs for the Gibby 1.5m?

I could never match Black Ultra LNB without feedhorn performance with a feedhorn + converted Black Ultra LNB. Signals are at least 0.5dB lower... maybe it's different with the Gibby...

pride21

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm gibertini dish,echostar 8700 analogue receiver to move dish,motor jaeger 1224,also black ultra ku lnb and esx241 c-band lnbf and technomate 5402hd ci+ super also added a Dr HD f15 receiver
My Location
Sandown Isle of Wight
hi CJ I have a 1.5mtr gibby dish on a 1224 motor drives it with no problem.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Pride, do you have any pictures of the back bracket between the dish and the motor? I am going to make my own for declination control but want to see what others have.

Also, any experiences with Ku feedhorns on that?

pride21

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150cm gibertini dish,echostar 8700 analogue receiver to move dish,motor jaeger 1224,also black ultra ku lnb and esx241 c-band lnbf and technomate 5402hd ci+ super also added a Dr HD f15 receiver
My Location
Sandown Isle of Wight
hi CJ the bracket on the back of the dish is an old channel master bracket drilled out to accommodate the gibby which fits on the 1224 but I am changing the top two brackets to what VS has done on his 1.5mtr dish.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Got some spherical joints in the post today for declination movement...

bu2y8a2u.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi guys,

A question on LNB positioning. As the Gibertini has a much more favourable arrangement for multi-LNB setup, I am wondering whether it's better to have the extra C-band LNB on the sided of the Ku-LNB at the centre or above it, like I have on the Channel Master? Obviously, I'll have declination control to switch LNBs but... which is better?

Cheers
CJ

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Hi CJ I have found out that on my 1.5 Gibby (believe it or not) it's better using a black ultra without a feed horn rather than using one.
Fact I had a Gibertini F/H with a black ultra Lnb on it and after exhaustive tests on most weak transponders came to the conclusion that I had better Snr without the F/H. Now I have placed this F/H on one of my 1.2 Dishes.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Two C-band LNBs, one either side is best. My personal preference is polar mount, and I've got both.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thought so... and since I already have 2 C-band LNBs, it makes sense.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Here's a picture of the plate.

1224.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I won't be fitting Gibby's declination bracket, so it will be similar to my Channel Master's arrangement.

The dish centre will be moved down to and there will be no steel plates - just a couple of spherical joints for a hinge with the jack arm at the top of the motor.

IMAG0139.jpg