Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
From time to time I'm reminded that a fair few of us Satellite Hobbyists are also, perhaps unsurprisingly, Radio Amateurs and/or SWLs.

So here's an opportunity to come out of the Shack and declare yourselves, if you wish.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I started my Ham career building a Practical Wireless 80m Direct Conversion Receiver.

This led to getting special permission from School to do an RAE evening class, leading to me becoming G8HGU.

I bought a crystal controlled Heathkit rig for 2m and hooked up with locals who tutored me in Morse.

After a few months I went to Mablethorpe P.O Radio Station and took my Morse Test, then becoming G4CNG at the grand old age of 16.

Bought a Yaesu FL50B and FR50B which served me well for many years. Lots of other kit followed, naturally!

However, I sold all my kit about 8 years ago and haven't been active since.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I'm not a licenced Ham but I am a member of the Tango Mike DX Club from my Freebanding days of sitting on 27.555Mhz.

I think my call is/was TM234.

I was at one point going to go in for my foundation but was a bit paranoid that some of the old timers at the local radio club would recognise my voice from the triple nickle and other places I popped up so I never bothered.

I've been looking at it again recently but there isn't enough hours in the day for me at the moment.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
What's the triple nickel?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I do hope it isn't akin to the Golden Rivet.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
What's the triple nickel?
It's an American way of saying 555 as in 27.555Mhz - Unofficial calling channel when the conditions are good

Round here most ops, legal or not would normally be sat listening quite often and some even gave out a call or two (illegally)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Sorry...closest I ever got to Amateur Radio was listening to Tony Hancock......

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh, dear!

That's almost as misleading as daft telly ads that show us Bell Ringers flying up and down in the Ringing Chamber :eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I used to use CB back in the late 90s, think I tried finding my two rigs (Harrier CB-X and Uniden 200 (I think)) a few year back in another thread only to find they'd been disposed of without my permission, but I actually have another CB now (Thunderpole T-800) but to be honest I'm just listening in occasionally rather than keying up and having a natter, most of what gets talked about on Channel 19 is "how busy it was in the good old days", not really of interest to be honest!!

The internet has pretty much killed radio like that, being able to chat to people across the globe without having to have transceivers and antennas and all that is far easier, and cheaper too, still, keeps the airwaves open for when radio comms are more useful in situations where a mobile phone or a laptop haven't got a signal... :)

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
I do hope it isn't akin to the Golden Rivet.
Reminds me off my seafarer days when a new 'greenhorn' signs on and somebody would tell him 'We got a Golden rivet on board'
and this poor chap would say 'Really whereabouts' In the engine would be the quick reply 'Want to see it?' Well yes...Ok hold on...
One would phone the Chief Engineer 'Chief One lad to see the G/R' - Ok send him over....The next thing one would know from the hasty retreat
that the boyo did from the Engine Room would be that he had his wish granted.:eek::D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Exactly so .... (ex RN Engineer Officer) ;)

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Well, started my involvement with ham radio as a SWL at about the same age as what Lazarus got his full licence!.
Didn't take it seriously until about 34 years ago when i decided to do RAE classes, passed the exam and obtained callsign G1LXE.
Had that callsign for about 2 years and had started to learn morse code to obtain my full licence.
Also went to Trusthorpe to do my morse test @ 12 WPM and passed that ok. CW became my main interest once i obtained my full and current licence G0CC* (trust me ,there is a final letter) in July 1985.
Later years saw my involvement with site locating & acquisition of our local VHF & UHF repeaters and as "Repeater Keeper" and antenna construction at some stage also.
Former member of BATC, had a collection of ex-broadcast OB cameras at one time but only have my working 1974 or so Philips LDK25 OB camera at the moment, a beast of a thing.

My gear is stored at the moment but might come out and resurrected one day.......

Attachments

• ldk25d45s850.jpg
    ldk25d45s850.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
A

Archive-8

I have a hi gain 5 with a few mods, and quite a few blocks, are available with it:D I think it pushes 12w :eek:

Was rigged to an Antron 99 (standing j-wave) so I am told. No longer have that.

Don't use it at all now as I don't speak other languages :(

With a burner inline I once had a dx with a cabby sat in a taxi rank in New York:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Don't use it at all now as I don't speak other languages :(

With a burner inline I once had a dx with a cabby sat in a taxi rank in New York:)

He spoke your language ?

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow

rob12770

fac ita
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 X Technomate TM-5302HD, Blade 7000s, triax 95cm STAB HH90, 1 M TM dish TM2300 super motor.
My Location
Glasgow
The internet has pretty much killed radio like that, being able to chat to people across the globe without having to have transceivers and antennas and all that is far easier, and cheaper too, still, keeps the airwaves open for when radio comms are more useful in situations where a mobile phone or a laptop haven't got a signal... :)
well i don't know about that, almost Everyone has a Transceiver these days ..;)

DX (distance comms) that's only part of the hobby, it is MUCH more than global conversations.. TBH you would have to be a ham to get it mate.
the internet in no way replaced a radio, in fact, the internet is a Very much used tool for ham radio operators,

but talking purely radio wise, when it boils down to it, there's noting like being completely independent of ISP's and WIFI to get your communications, especially, when your up a mountain or away camping etc.
Amateur radio is ( can be ) Very technical, it depends how far you want to take it, and as such attracts people who like to learn stuff and test their abilities..as i say there's a LOT to it.
cheers rob

Last edited:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Sadly never had one ..much to my great regret ..
I still have my Radio Amateur Certificate aquired in 1974 which would make me about 16 at the time.
But being a confirmed part of the 'pirate' community at that age ..the only call sign I ever had was RHBC12
which would make me the 12th member of the group of illegal broadcasters ..
known to belong to the
Radio House Broadcasting Company
cest la vie.

...at our peak we had over 50 members ..some of whom also held a licence I suspect ..
I guess they craved the freedom ..
lol
..mostly we operated just below the marine band ...and just above medium wave ..
you could easily tweak a transistor radio to hear us..

I'm not too worried about declaring this publicly ..as I cant be tried for the same crime twice..
:D

Last edited: