66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
First I will .._never_ part with my F15 for DXing those weak channels ..But..
My visible arc is getting mighty crowded these days ...being able to cover from
64East to 58 West - Cband
69East t0 61 West Ku
..and 45 East to 45 West ++ in Ka .
Now I know channels come and go frequently ..but retuning to accomodate changes is a PITA.
..wouldn't it be nice to just be able to add channels ad infinium.
The only real solution is a sat card in a PC.
Nonetheless I'd like to be able to log many more channels than I currently can in a set top box.
ATM ..I'm using a skybox F3 for Ku ...and the F15 for C and Ka.
Sadly however I do run out of space.
I don't store radio channels ...but even so ..Neith box can hold the number of channels or indeed sat postions I'd like.
Question..
I'd like a few recommendations for set top boxes with large storage capacities ...multiple sat postions ..and complex Motor/Diseqc switching ...as does both the F15 and openbox series.
..and crucially a high gain stable tuner which supports low SR ....SD/HD ...and all broadcast formats.
I know I'm asking for the moon ..and don't expect 4:2:2 integral ..but the next best thing.
Gimmicks and internal hard drives are unimortant to me ...just a bloody good receiver.
Many times we've debated the holy grail of sat bxes ...but not recently.
If I find something suitable ..I'll start saving my pennies after Christmas.
Suggestions and debate welcomed..
Minimum channel storage capability must exceed 20,000 (that's minimum)
rgds
VS

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
"Crowded Arc" is a great name for a Rock Band.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
Would you be able to add to your feeds? I have 5 coax spread over 3 dishes and 5 stb-covers c/ku and c circular.

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What about a self-built Linux box with the 6925 in it?

I think Vu+ Uno's tuner is no less sensitive than the F15 (from personal experience) and am told that Solo2's is even better...

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I was going to suggest a VU+ box because as yet I've not reached a limit for channel storage. Comparing the tuners on the F15 and the VU+, the F15 just has the edge from what I've experienced......

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The only disadvantage with the Vu+ is that it will no display any signal until there's enough for a lock...

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
@CJ ..
I sort of have this already ...in PC form ...but not in a size that would fit comfortably under the TV ..which is what I wanted ..
Mission control being in my 'play-room' ..
lol

@costa The wiring for my 6 dishes and 8 lnbs are already connected to the most complex motor drive and switch system I could concieve of with 5 set top boxes and of course the TBS/pc .. hanging on this system.
Not all in the same room ...
Whichever stb is turned on ...takes control or any one of the dishes and lnbs.
I wanted to condense the 2 boxes (F15 and Openbox) into 1 unit with greater capacity ..and free up the F15 for mission control use ..
lol

Last edited:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I was going to suggest a VU+ box because as yet I've not reached a limit for channel storage. Comparing the tuners on the F15 and the VU+, the F15 just has the edge from what I've experienced......
So ..what is your current channel count Pete ?

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
@CJ ..
I sort of have this already ...in PC form ...but not in a size that wold fit comfortably under the TV ..which is what I wanted

I understand that. I meant that you could create an Enigma2 based Linux "PC" which is act no different from a normal receiver and sit in the play room under the TV. Combined with the 6925, it would be the best of both worlds.

Though Vu+ isn't far behind on sensitivity, really. Mine currently has 13332 services in its database (that's TV, radio and data altogether).

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
So ..what is your current channel count Pete ?

Not sure VS. It's set up on the multisat so it's whatever is FTA from 16 satellites. But I did use it on the motorised and didn't reach a limit of channel numbers. At one time, I'm sure if you included radio channels it would have been 10,000 or more.

mosllam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240 cm local motorized dish and 2 fixd 180 cm local dish with multi lnb VU+ DUO 2 yuner in use
My Location
Egypt- Cairo
i donot know about the pc sat card - but with vu+ i have all what you ask

i have chann from 34W to 105E in both C and Ku in the same reicever The vu+ duo - 2 tuner
i still use 1x16 ateq discqe c in one tuner and i add 1x4 discqe c to the second tuner
i donot know the exact chann count but shurly more than 10000

the astra1 only is more than 1400 - hotbird +2000 - nilesat + 1000 and so on the rest (radio - tv and data ) - i even still have the old ch on ast1 and astra2 the chann that its frequancy has been changed and there is no proplem what so ever
some others in saudi arabia has 360cm dish and got from 43W to 122E ollmost all freq even the russin sat like bounon with left rigth polarisation - all ch in one reicever VU+ duo

the vu duo tuner is prety sensetive and the sat finder menu gives you an indication if you are close to lock the signal or quit far from it
it olso has that plugin that helps to alayen the dish on the sattelite ( quick signal info )

i got some images for the menu and the sat chann selction but i couldnt upload it - seems like i need to upload it to some server and attach the link - i dont know how
the same goes for the cheeper one the solo and the more expensive the ultimo - pepole who try the duo2 says that the tuner is better than the duo and dreambox
i have used dreambox 7020HD for 3 month and its the same with a very little tuner sensetive but its much more expensive and i had to sell it

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Ok ...The Vu+
It would seem there are clones of this box ..
That being so ..what are the differences and pitfalls ..
Anyone ?

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
Ok ...The Vu+
Anyone ?

earlier clones can only use certain versions of images although the later ones are ok. vu duo clones have had problems with poor psu,s and the tuners are not great although the uno has a better tuner than the solo/duo for weak/low sr txp,s. ive owned the solo clone and duo/uno original. why dont you take a punt on the AZ-BOX premium+ HD clone as you can pick them up for around £145 and it has unlimited channel capability, blind scan, 4.2.2 and if used for fta/feeds there are stable software versions available. theres a new TECHNOMATE F3/F5 out now with 16apsk/32apsk but again its just 10.000 channel limit. i dont think we are ever going to get a box that does it all in 1

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Ok ...The Vu+
Anyone ?
Forget clones. What happens is when the manufacturer updates the (closed source) driver sometimes they are not compatible with clones. Since the latest drivers are incorporated into the latest images any useful addition will not be available to the clone. And anyway there are no clones of the current state of the art receivers, only the older ones like the Duo and Solo.

For Broadcom powered receivers with blind search you need to choose between Uno, Ultimo & Duo2. For my main box I'm using an Ultimo controlling 23 LNBs, 2 motorized dishes and 5 fixed. All theoretical switching combinations are possible and it is possible to send the commands in any order allowing you to put 1.0 & 1.1 switches in any order. Also control of Unicable and any peculiar local oscillator frequency. Like CJ says these tuners aren't mythical but they aren't bad either. Main problem is a bit slow to lock low symbol rates.

Obviously no limit on number of channels as these are a Linux computer.

And for 4:2:2 just stream to a PC via WebIF, couldn't be simpler.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
There is my statistics, both, on DM8000 and GBQuad. Perhaps number has grown so much due to multiply rescanning and there are duplicates of many channels. And this is from 90*E to 30*W. Never had any issues of storage limits.

Attachments

• Screen_29 Dec. 25 19.35 (Large).jpg
    Screen_29 Dec. 25 19.35 (Large).jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 45

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
And anyway there are no clones of the current state of the art receivers, only the older ones like the Duo and Solo.

there is a clone of the VU+UNO and the just released VU+SOLO2 aswell. there are thousands of people who run clones without issue and even moreso now with the later versions. if cost isnt an issue then of course go with an original..

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
there are thousands of people who run clones without issue and even moreso now with the later versions.
There are also thousands whose receivers got bricked.

Maybe with current clones there aren't problems today but as new drivers are written those clones will cease to work properly and then have to use out-of-date software. And that is just the software issue.

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
There are also thousands whose receivers got bricked.

Maybe with current clones there aren't problems today but as new drivers are written those clones will cease to work properly and then have to use out-of-date software. And that is just the software issue.

its very difficult to brick a clone beyond recovery and id say 90% of clones are fine although some of the earlier DM800HD versions were shocking but doesnt help you if your one of those with a faulty box... its not so much worth a gamble with the VU stb,s now but with a DM800HDSE theres no contest... £130ish for A8PSIM or £400ish for original this is just my opinion and you/others will have theirs