DAB Help & advice sought, please

bmathieson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD; Denon 5.1 amp, etc. 2x wireless laptops & 1 static pc feeding into Be ISP.
My Location
Plymouth, Devon, UK
I have recently moved to Plymouth from Scotland and I set up my DAB receiver in exactly the same way as before: I have a 3 element aerial in the loft space pointint in the same direction as all the tv aerials are pointing around here (towards the main transmitter at Saltash, I believe). I have it in horizontal position.

Here's the problem: I have used a UHF/VHF Antiference splitter to run the signal down a single cable before unsplitting it at a pair of sockets in my living room. This worked before, first of all with my FM aerial & radio years ago and more recently with my DAB aerial & radio in Scotland.

Currently, I am getting absolutely no signal from any station/group on DAB. Is the problem the position of the aerial or the use of the FM/UHF splitter, in which case, what should I be doing?

Your help would be appreciated.

bmathieson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD; Denon 5.1 amp, etc. 2x wireless laptops & 1 static pc feeding into Be ISP.
My Location
Plymouth, Devon, UK
I have recently moved to Plymouth from Scotland and I set up my DAB receiver in exactly the same way as before: I have a 3 element aerial in the loft space pointint in the same direction as all the tv aerials are pointing around here (towards the main transmitter at Saltash, I believe). I have it in horizontal position.

Here's the problem: I have used a UHF/VHF Antiference splitter to run the signal down a single cable before unsplitting it at a pair of sockets in my living room. This worked before, first of all with my FM aerial & radio years ago and more recently with my DAB aerial & radio in Scotland.

Currently, I am getting absolutely no signal from any station/group on DAB. Is the problem the position of the aerial or the use of the FM/UHF splitter, in which case, what should I be doing?

Your help would be appreciated.

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Hi Brian welcome to the forum:)

Is the 3 element aerial in the loft actually a DAB aerial?

DAB aerials should be mounted vertically, if you are able to mount the aerial outside this will also help in receiving a stronger signal although it does look like there have been some recent issues with DAB transmissions in Plymouth see _http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=37040961

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Hi Brian welcome to the forum:)

Is the 3 element aerial in the loft actually a DAB aerial?

DAB aerials should be mounted vertically, if you are able to mount the aerial outside this will also help in receiving a stronger signal although it does look like there have been some recent issues with DAB transmissions in Plymouth see _http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=37040961

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes very much sounds like a 3 element FM aerial horizontally polarised.

Also make sure the UHF/VHF splitter/diplexer passes 174-230Mhz.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
satelliteman said:
A simple test would be plug the DAB receiver into the other outlet of the downstairs splitter and also removing it completely to test the downlead.

It might be a good idea to test the upper splitter by removing it temporarily and connecting the aerial directly to the downlead.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satelliteman said:
A simple test would be plug the DAB receiver into the other outlet of the downstairs splitter and also removing it completely to test the downlead.

It might be a good idea to test the upper splitter by removing it temporarily and connecting the aerial directly to the downlead.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
satelliteman said:

Easiest way is by the width of the aerial. FM is approximately 1.1 metre upwards, DAB is 60cms upwards.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
satelliteman said:

Easiest way is by the width of the aerial. FM is approximately 1.1 metre upwards, DAB is 60cms upwards.

bmathieson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Plymouth, Devon, UK
Thanks for the responses to date. It's definitely a three element DAB aerial - about 60cm width. I've rotated it to vertical polarisation, but still no luck, despite getting adequate reception on 3 portable DAB radios in the house. It sounds like splitter issues. My next task is to try the aerial plugged directly into the tuner - I'll do that directly in the loft, in situ for the aerial.

If it's the splitter that's the problem, I see that Maplin have a UHF/VHF splitter and a three-way socket comprising Satellite, UHF and FM/DAB. Will replacing what I have with these help me any?

Cheers, folks.

bmathieson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Plymouth, Devon, UK
Thanks for the responses to date. It's definitely a three element DAB aerial - about 60cm width. I've rotated it to vertical polarisation, but still no luck, despite getting adequate reception on 3 portable DAB radios in the house. It sounds like splitter issues. My next task is to try the aerial plugged directly into the tuner - I'll do that directly in the loft, in situ for the aerial.

If it's the splitter that's the problem, I see that Maplin have a UHF/VHF splitter and a three-way socket comprising Satellite, UHF and FM/DAB. Will replacing what I have with these help me any?

Cheers, folks.

bmathieson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Plymouth, Devon, UK
I tried by-passing the splitter and got a perfectly good signal (now that I'm vertically polarised), so clearly the splitter - an Antiference UF21 - is the problem. It is intended to allow FM and UHF to combine in one down cable, so I guess DAB gets filtered out. What I need seems to be a splitter that combines DAB and UHF.

Any suggestions where I can get one?

bmathieson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Plymouth, Devon, UK
I tried by-passing the splitter and got a perfectly good signal (now that I'm vertically polarised), so clearly the splitter - an Antiference UF21 - is the problem. It is intended to allow FM and UHF to combine in one down cable, so I guess DAB gets filtered out. What I need seems to be a splitter that combines DAB and UHF.

Any suggestions where I can get one?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
As mentioned in post #3. You require a vhf/uhf diplexer covering a vhf of 88-240MHz.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
As mentioned in post #3. You require a vhf/uhf diplexer covering a vhf of 88-240MHz.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The splitter is most likely from pre DAB days when Band III, which is now used for DAB, was used for TV.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The splitter is most likely from pre DAB days when Band III, which is now used for DAB, was used for TV.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
bmathieson said:

You could get away with using a modern triplexed socket in reverse (just ignore the satellite part), or if really courageous, a simple two way splitter as the strength and bandwidth of the signals received by the DAB antenna is highly unlikely to muck up the TV.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
bmathieson said:

You could get away with using a modern triplexed socket in reverse (just ignore the satellite part), or if really courageous, a simple two way splitter as the strength and bandwidth of the signals received by the DAB antenna is highly unlikely to muck up the TV.