Dab

CaptainGlassback

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Not too impressed. Had Arcam (crap hi fi company) of Cambridge DAB hi fi unit linked up to DAB aerial for some years. The DAB aerial gave no noticeable benefit over the old large FM aerial that I originally had it linked to. The unit is poor. Was supplied with a fault that they were aware of! The remote soon packed up. The sound quality is not up to that of a Quad FM tuner!! Have since bought and taken back 3 portable sets due to differing poor reception. Ended up with a Panasonic which certainly seems better. Quality is still poor but that is due to the poor level of transmissions. Why can't we have UK satellite radio instead of wasting resources on expensive terrestrial transmitters?! The finest digital radio was the early German digi sat radio beamed down from 2 sats. Can't remember what it was called but had a technisat box for it. The sound quality was excellent.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
I've tried an Arcam, they're bloody expensive that's for sure, but they were early in the DAB take up run of things.

My quibbles about DAB are simple: the bit rates are too low, you can hear the compression. So, you pays you money and takes your choice, DAB compression artifacts or FM crackle. I personnaly shunned DAB in favour of a good FM tuner with a decent aerial: one of these infact: _http://ws3.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=DENO-TU260MK2. For digital artifacts I often tune into freeview radio stations.

I did feel quite strange pruchasing a FM tuner for the tune of £100 when you can get a DAB radio for that cash.... However connected to the aerial, in my loft space, in the height of summer, before I routed the cable and put nasty 90deg bends in it, I got french FM radio stations from Lat: 50:59:57N, Lon: 1:28:41W - just north of Southampton.

-cts

CaptainGlassback

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Agreed! The 'warmth' of sound of a good FM tuner takes some beating! At least you have a chance of real sound on voices and recussion. The harsh unnatural crunchiness on digital spoils it for me! (Yes... the Arcam was not cheap!!).