DB - fixed (sky) dish WITH a motorised dish?

dlemaire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020 - 250GB HDD,
Moteck Motor (SG-2100A), 0.2 LNB,
90cm Dish
My Location
Cambridge (UK)
I was not too sure where to start this thread but since it is specific to the DB, I though I'd ask here...

I have DB with a motorised dish, and I am going to get sky installed tomorrow: They will install a fixed (sky) mini-dish (free install I think!) but I'd like to get it working with my current set-up...

i.e. A dreambox with a motorised dish and (tomorrow) a fixed (sky) mini-dish

Is it possible? Can dreambox handle this set-up? If so, any pointers for dreambox set-up would be really appreciated...

Note: I plan on getting a diseqc switch (of course) if it is at all possible...

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I think the DB will get confused. If you're watching 13E and select a channel on 28.2 it will turn the motor- the setup options don't allow motor and diseqc switch. But if someone has done it I'm sure they'll let you know.

Why do you want to do this?

dlemaire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020 - 250GB HDD,
90cm Dish
My Location
Cambridge (UK)
Thanks mhku, you confirmed my concerns...

2 reasons why I want to do that:

1- I want to watch 28e (sky), 19e, 13e & 30w. Everytime I am on 19e, 13e or 30w with my motorised dish, I want to be able to switch back to 28e (sky) without having to wait for the motor to turn the (motorised) dish. Instead I want to be able to switch with a diseqc switch to receive 28e spontaneously to the (sky) minidish.

2- How will the keys update my official sky card? Do I need to keep a dish pointing to 28e (sky) to receive these keys? This is because even if I am not watching 28e (sky), I want my sky card to be updated: I'd like to know for cs reasons...

Anyone?

dlemaire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020 - 250GB HDD,
90cm Dish
My Location
Cambridge (UK)
After playing about (not for long) and asking a friend :-doh!... It is not possible to use motor and diseqc switch: This confirms mhku's initial answer. I am still asking to be proven wrong...

I also have been told that my sky card will be updated everytime the dish turns to 28e and apparently once a week is enough to update my card.

Since I will be watching sky more than once a week, my sky card should remain always updated. Otherwise I can leave my motorised dish pointing to 28e overnight night, and that is enough to keep it updated.

Now it will obviously not be possible to get channels on 28e spontaneously if I am on another satellite: I will need to wait for the motor to turn to that particular orientation which is a bit ennoying if you want to switch from cabo (30w) to sky (28e)... I would need to use 4 dishes for 28e, 19e, 13e & 30w but it is rather environmentally unfriendly! Still I cannot complain.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
That is the nature of a motorised system. If you don't have the patience to wait the 60 seconds it takes to turn from 30W to 28E buy some more dishes ;)

J700

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
moteck sg2100a rotor. 1,3m dish. Invacom lnb. ipbox 900hd. 1,5TB eSATA hdd.
My Location
Scandinavia 63N 21E
Prefferably connect the diseqc-switch after the motor.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Connected to my 7020S DB,i have a 3.0m motorised Channel Master dish + three fixed dishes pointing at 42E/13E/7E through a four way DISEqC...I do not use a skybox,instead SKY subscription card runs in 7020..Apart from 42E/13E/7E i get the rest of the satellites with the motorised dish..
I can switch from<->to motorised dish from any of the fixed dishes without waiting

Below is my DISEqC config on 7020
Lets say you have one disecq 4/1 switch , 4 LNBS ( 3 fixed one on disecq 1.2 motor ) and this configuration.

1. input AA in disecq 4/1 fixed -> LNB number 0, disecq settings 1.0, disecq AA
2. input AB in disecq 4/1 fixed -> LNB number 1, disecq settings 1.0, disecq AB
3. input BA in disecq 4/1 fixed -> LNB number 2, disecq settings 1.0, disecq BA
4. motor->input BB in disecq 4/1 motorized -> LNB number 3, disecq settings 1.2 , disecq BB

So most important thing is that you split your LNBs to 4 numbers ( 0,1,2,3 ) and for each LNB make settings ( disecq1.0 protocol for fixed, and disecq 1.2 for motorized ) and choose right inputs in your disecq switch ( AA,AB,BA,B:cool:

dlemaire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020 - 250GB HDD,
90cm Dish
My Location
Cambridge (UK)
Well I got it working: fixed dish & motorised dish with diseqc... I could switch from 30w, 13e or 19e to 28e (sky) and I got it spontaneously. Hence it is possible after all BUT

Once I got it working I did not have all the same channels available, for instance on tps nor cabo. So I decided change it back to the original settings i.e. DB with only a motorised dish but I could not get the original channels... It did not make sense. Ran scans all day by trying to turn the motor by a few steps here and there but no luck.

Still I had canalsat, premiere and of course sky... So I decided to try to put back the fixed dish with the motorised dish with the diseqc, but no luck! Even worst I could hear the motor turning when I was flicking channels from the same sat orientation... Really did not make anymore sense at this point.

Right now, I am back to the original configuration for the time being having lost tps, cabo reception and few more channels along the way (from the automatic multisat Scan). I think my problems could be related to my misshandling and/or the DB getting confused (as mentioned by mhku).

Iceman's post has been really useful (thank you) in getting it to work the first time round. Here is my complementary info:

Go to Set-up, Service searching, satellite configuration, non-standard user defined configuration. Now you are ready to select and set your LNB (blue button for next page) and follow instructions according to Iceman's post.

I shall concentrate on getting my channels back but when I do (in a few months 'cause am taken by extra dreaming activities) I'll keep you posted if I have any useful additional info to share.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
dlemaire said:
Once I got it working I did not have all the same channels available, for instance on tps nor cabo. So I decided change it back to the original settings i.e. DB with only a motorised dish but I could not get the original channels... It did not make sense. Ran scans all day by trying to turn the motor by a few steps here and there but no luck.

Still I had canalsat, premiere and of course sky... So I decided to try to put back the fixed dish with the motorised dish with the diseqc, but no luck! Even worst I could hear the motor turning when I was flicking channels from the same sat orientation... Really did not make anymore sense at this point.

Right now, I am back to the original configuration for the time being having lost tps, cabo reception and few more channels along the way (from the automatic multisat Scan). I think my problems could be related to my misshandling and/or the DB getting confused (as mentioned by mhku).

The reason you "lost" some channels is because DISEqC controlling on 7020 is crap...I have the same problems switching between polarities on different LNB's...I suggest you try with another DISeqC switch (preferably the best one you can get your hands on)

dlemaire

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020 - 250GB HDD,
90cm Dish
My Location
Cambridge (UK)
Finally worked it out...

I have a:
- DB set with a motorised dish
- 2/1 DISEqC LNB Switch (from *bay)
- 1 (Sky) fixed minidish (28e)
- 1 motorised dish (90 cm) for all other orientations

How-to
- Plug your (dish) cables to your DISEqC Switch which is itself connected to your DB
From your remote control:
- Go to menu
- Setup (6)
- Service Searching
- Satellite Configuration
- Normally you should have "many satellites via DISEqC Rotor" selected & "0" should be selected on "LNB"
- Select LNB for your desired Sat/Position (Astra/28e)
- On "Sat/LNB mapping", select "LNB1"
- next page (Blue button)
- On "DISEqC Mode" which should be on "version 1.2" need to be changed (if you use a motor) to "version 1.0"
- Change DISEqC Parameter from A/A to A/B
- Save
- If it still does not work (like it did for me), swap your (dish) cables on your DISEqC switch

Note to iceman: The reasons why I messed up my channel settings is because in "Satellite Configuration" I changed "many satellites via DISEqC Rotor" to "non-standard user defined configuration..." No need to do that + by doing that I ended up having to do an "Automatic Multisat Scan" in "Service Searching" which loaded channels differently than my PET123 file did when using dreamboxedit. As I have too many PET123 files on my PC, it got really confusing.

In fact I did not loose channels they were just organised differently :-doh!. Also I do not have any problems like before when I could hear the motor turning when I was flicking channels from the same sat orientation... Not too sure why it happened but now it works absolutely fine.

Another big thanks to the community