Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Had a phone call this morning, straight away I knew from the sound of the voice on the other end with associated background noises that he was using VOIP. Of course people use that for both economy but also to evade tracing.
The Asian sounding guy introduced himself to me as being from some digital media company and he first said he wanted me to renew my SSL certificate for our web site. Immediately I was suspicious and said to him, well I know what I understand the acronym SSL (secure socket layer) to mean and wanted to know if that is what he was referring to. He concurred and said that ours was up for renewal but there was no problem I could renew over the phone by supplying my credit card details. I said but I do not need any kind of SSL certificate as we have no need for an SSL connection on our web-site.
Having been off ill for 8 weeks and only gone back to work last week I was concerned that perhaps a collegue had been sucked into paying in my absense so I asked him when I had bought the original certificate and persistent to the end he said that I bought it in February of this year. At this point I was getting mad and I asked him what website was he referring to, he said something like warehousediscount.com or similar, I said I think you are mistaken we have no such website to which he repleid oh I'm sorry my database must be corrupt and bid me farewell.

The point of this post is to show that people will go to enormous lengths to obtain money by deception and as I have so far not seen or read anything about it this kind of sting I thought I would share it with you all

Forewarned is forearmed

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Hmm, interesting. I wonder why they're using "SSL" as a reason for a scam though? I'll keep an eye, well, ear out for this one... :confused

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Thanks for the heads up Topper,
I wonder why they're using "SSL" as a reason for a scam though?
I'd guess, probably because a lot of people don't even know who their SSL Cert providers are. That makes it somewhat more likely that people could be fooled.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
compufunk said:
Thanks for the heads up Topper,

I'd guess, probably because a lot of people don't even know who their SSL Cert providers are. That makes it somewhat more likely that people could be fooled.

The thing is, if you don't run an online shop or something that requires a secure connection, then you don't need SSL certificates, so if someone called me up saying I need to renew them, then I'd be pretty sure it'd be a scam, I wouldn't believe them saying their "database was corrupted"... :-Nooo

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
The scammers are up to all sorts these days, Technology has given them so many new ways to do it, I Might get into it myself.

Does anyone want to help me get my $2m inheritance moved to another country? I'll split it 50/50. Just mail me all your details at niceguy @ iamgoingtoripyouoff.com :D

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
compufunk said:
The scammers are up to all sorts these days, Technology has given them so many new ways to do it, I Might get into it myself.

Does anyone want to help me get my $2m inheritance moved to another country? I'll split it 50/50. Just mail me all your details at niceguy @ iamgoingtoripyouoff.com :D

Sorry, but as I am taking a big risk here with just a small amount, how about 65/35 :-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
HB13DISH said:
Sorry, but as I am taking a big risk here with just a small amount, how about 65/35 :-rofl2

In true Dragons den style I'll go 64/36 then, at least now you know how much your bit is.... bit being the operative word here :D

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Might get into it myself.

Now I know who sent me this today:

Hello,
I am David Isaakovich, a Personal Assistance to Mikhail Khodorkovsky the richest man in Russia and owner of the following companies: Chairman CEO: YUKOS OIL (Russian Most Largest Oil Company) Chairman CEO: Menatep SBP Bank (A reputable financial institution with its branches all over the world).

I have a profiling sum in an excess of $14 (forteen Million United States Dollars) which I seek your partnership in accommodating for me.

The documents of the above funds in question were handed over to me by my boss Mr. Mikhail Khodorkovsky for safe keeping. The said funds has been in fixed deposit for five years in a Bank in the United Kingdom (name of the Bank undisclosed for now).

I will give you more details and sites for verification on how legal and genuine this transaction is and as we progresses you shall see all the legal documents.

_http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3213505.stm

Everything will be done under a legitimate arrangement so we don't get to breach any law. if you are interested Please get in touch with me via my private email address: davesaak gmail.com or give me a call and I will explain further.

Best regards,
Mr. David Isaakovich
+44-703-591-8927

:cool:

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
The conversations I have over the phone (incoming calls) are normally very short unless I'm waiting for someone to call me back. Otherwise it's "goodbye" or "give me a number I can contact you on" ....then they say goodbye.

I never open emails I don't recognise in Mailwasher because then the scammers know there's a legit address. So they get bounced.