Did my first install today but help with dual lnb

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
Hi,

I managed to setup my first self install today thanks to the great guide stickied at the top and got hotbird yay.
i have an arm and additional lnb which i would like to install to pickup 19 too.

Which is the best way to do this? Hotbird is aligned, is the best way to just screw the lnb on and move it around till i pick up 19 or what?
Like i said had a search around but couldnt find anything on installing a dual lnb setup, forgive me if i missed it.

many thanks.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

Good result with your install :)

leave the dish aligned to 13e and install the LNb bracket. ( you don't say what dish or bracket you have)

Anyhow, standing in front looking at the dish, place the LNb for 19e on to the left hand side. You'll need to raise this LNb a fraction to compensate for the elevation difference. You can also align to 19e and 13e to the right.

See 'offset guide' :

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ised-systems/133694-offset-lnb-guide-pdf.html
for more info

SM :)

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
thanks for the quick reply, im using a orbital 80cm and an appropiate holder. Actualy i stripped the dish from where i was previously living and both lnbs and the holder is already in place but i wanted to dismantle it and do it myself out of interest lol. I aligned it using the left lnb to hotbird, tomorrow ill take it off and do as you sugest and see if i can do it.

thanks

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
hmm i moved the dish to another location and i dont seem to be able to pick anything up(using sat reciever as a meter) dispite screwin around for an hour with it. I cant see the tv well from this location so I have one of them crappy satellite finders that i want to use, when i plug it into my reciever with the little cable it lights up like a xmas tree but when i go outside and plug it in the long cable its just dead. Is there any way i can check the cable with a voltmeter that i have? Tried messin about trying to get a reading off the lnb on the meter but couldnt get anything, is it possible? as id like to eliminate the cable being screwed before i waste some more time.

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
bingo worked out how to check the voltage, getting 13v inside with a small cable and 0.13ish outside so that explains why i wasted an hour pointing the dish like a mug lol.

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
managed to align the left(as im facing the dish) lnb as you suggested to 19 but im having no luck atall getting the other lnb to pickup 13. not even by moving the dish would it "lock". i think i might just buy a monoblock that would be easier wouldnt it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The LNB will not be very far away in the offset position, probably only a centimetre or so.

You say you aligned the left hand LNB as you're facing the dish, is this in the main holder, or is it the offset one?

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
yep main holder is to the left as im facing the dish. i have the second lnb positioned roughly 2cm to the right of that. (no more than 2cm). Im using dishpointer.com to give me the line i need to position in relation to my garage, when i select "13 and 19" multi lnb setup the line is the exact same position as it is when i select 13. But when i select 19 there is approximatly 1m difference on the garage(which is aprox 5 meters away from the dish). thats confusing me slightly if you could clarify if i should have the main lnb pointed at the line of "13 and 19" and "13" or the line of "19"
If you get what im saying sort of..lol

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Set the main LNB to 19 East and lock up the dish, the job is then done on that LNB and the dish alignment. Then by moving the right hand LNB (looking from behind the LNB towards the dish face) find 13 East, don't use the DiseqC switch yet, connect direct to the LNB, at first move the LNB until it is touching the central one, it also needs to be slightly lower.

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
ok thats very clear thanks very much ill give it a try :)

bigfish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
london
fantastic, did it today and your advice worked perfectly thanks very much :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No problem, glad you got it sorted. :)